Maksim

Thompson Center LRR 308 - Shoots 1/2 MOA, Draws BLOOD!

11 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Damn its only 1k!?

Good review, certainly something to give the others a run for their money.

Thanks,

Yep, $1k street.    Looks great, shoots well, if you like the chassis look. 

I'm not surprised

m&p22, people loved the accuracy...thompson barrels

m&p15, people were raving about how accurate it was at such a discount price...thompson barrels

Compass reviews......you guessed it

hell, even snipershide has much love for the little that engine that could...lol

profile looked heavy which is good but at that price,  you are not competing with the lower end of more established names but at 1/2 moa, I'm not seeing Bergs, Howas, remmie etc pumping that out without major tuning and certainly not out of the box.  color me impressed

Looking at this as my next possible caliber up. Debating .308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm leaning towards 6.5 Creedmoor as it maintains velocity better, recoil is about 2/3 of .308, overall better ballistic coefficients. And the price is solid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Looking at this as my next possible caliber up. Debating .308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm leaning towards 6.5 Creedmoor as it maintains velocity better, recoil is about 2/3 of .308, overall better ballistic coefficients. And the price is solid.

If I am getting into the game... just get 6.5 CM... particularly if you are likely not going to reload.

Just now, Greenday said:

What if I want to reload?

Then there is a bit less difference as you can push the 308 beyond what it was originally designed for.  I.e load it long. 

Factory SAMI spec 308 winchester is going to be leaving quite a bit of tolerances vs what the gun is capable of doing.

6.5 CM was designed for precision to begin with, so the SAMI specs are closer to optimal.

Furthermore, 308 brass is a lot more common, and especially if you already have a 308 bolt gun... so reloading it may end up being a tad cheaper.  There are also more bullet choices though with the rise of 6.5 CM, the gap is closing quite a bit. 

So...I now have one. And tonight I FINALLY got to fire it. Holy crap is it amazing. The recoil is still not much on the 6.5 CM, even being used to firing .223 rem. Trigger is smooth. Bolt was buttery smooth. Got it brand new for $930.

Can't wait to get some practice in and move the distance out. Might have to do some trips to PA for some REAL distance shooting.

actually if reloading, 30-06 is the way to as you get same and some better ballistics and more energy and a lot more bullet options.  There are now 30 cal bullets with much better BC that has narrowed the gap.  Recoil of course is the problem with the 30-06 round when compared to the 6.5cm.  If you are shooting 550+ then the 6.5cm will have better ballistics then the 308 under that, I'll take more energy and besides, the 175gr does pretty well out to 1k.  Again however, newer 30cal bullets have narrowed this difference.

If you are serious about pushing the range, head over to snipershide and you'll find a lot of information there