GRIZ

Today is Flag Day

I put out the American flag on our house on specific holidays, including President's Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day and Memorial Day.  I do not feel the need to fly it on our house all the time, but do not have a problem with others who decide to do so.  I consider myself to be a patriotic American, recognizing that through the accident of birth, I am an American citizen who also appreciates our country’s history, why it was founded and respect and cherish how important our Constitutionally-guaranteed freedoms are.

I believe that too many Americans take our freedoms for granted.  They fail to appreciate and honor those Americans who have fought in wars and have either been wounded or have paid the supreme sacrifice with their lives to ensure that we maintain those freedoms. I believe that our flag is an important symbol of that understanding and pride of the actions our citizens have taken to defend the ideals they and we feel is important enough to die for. 

Pride essentially comes from an accumulated knowledge of one’s history.  One can be proud of yourself and your actions and achievement, as well as those of someone close to you.  But for anyone to say they are proud to be an American or proud to be a descendant of any specific culture is pretty lame. You can be thankful, grateful, relieved to be an American, but pride does not really extend to one’s country.  There's patriotism and there's dogmatic patriotism. Some people are smart enough to know the difference.  This is a lead up to the following:

I am currently down in NC at our beach house this week and yes, we are just a short time away from our Independence Day national holiday.  For the past number of years, I seem to have seen quite a number of young white men driving pickup trucks with one or more large flags mounted in the truck bed on short poles.  Half of these pickup trucks are the really large ones that are lifted up monsters with huge wheels and tires.  I really do not understand the reasoning, let alone the appeal of going to such lengths to fly our flag that way and it got me thinking.

I am certainly open to the idea of everyone being able to voice their opinion, (free speech).  Yet, I have just assumed that this sort of pick-up-truck-flag-waving, is just self-perceived people going to an extreme to shout out and portray themselves as being very "patriotic".  But it also risks coming across as people being very holier-than-thou and pretentious about it. Their message always seems to scream to me "We are more patriotic than all the rest of you."   It's a form of virtue signaling. Not so different than putting a political slogan bumper sticker on your car. It's just bigger and "bad ass" and certainly very tacky.

I also think that in today’s ever more polarized political environment that these pick-up-truck-flag-wavers say that they are being patriotic, but really are promoting their tribal sense of nationalism. True patriotism is demonstrated by one’s actions, such as buying domestically-produced goods and products, paying all of your taxes, or *honest* public service, and serving one’s country, and not by a ridiculous mobile rodeo show. When you don’t know any better, you mistake tacky-ness with patriotism.  BTW, this phenomenon is not limited to the U.S. but can be seen in other countries as well.

I guess it is human nature that people feel the need to belong to something grander than themselves.  For some of these folks, such as unaccomplished, mentally challenged hicks, other than being born here in the USA, they really don’t have much going for themselves. They may try to compensate for their lack of accomplishments to buy a big flag, that really is an “in-your-face” rolling nativist statement claiming that they have a deeper sense of patriotism than those Americans who do not drive around with big flags, which of course a total crock of crap.

So the more I think about it, flying the American flag in the back of one’s pick-up truck, without merit, until it gets ragged and tattered is just plain disrespectful. When I see that I can conclude with reasonable certainty that the only America that the driver likes is the one in their fantasies and that given the chance they would happily see the actual country burn.

AVB-AMG

image.png.4e95929f3979ac50caffe46a49718ca1.png

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

I guess it is human nature that people feel the need to belong to something grander than themselves.  For some of these folks, such as unaccomplished, mentally challenged hicks, other than being born here in the USA, they really don’t have much going for themselves. They may try to compensate for their lack of accomplishments to buy a big flag, that really is an “in-your-face” rolling nativist statement claiming that they have a deeper sense of patriotism than those Americans who do not drive around with big flags, which of course a total crock of crap.

I think the real question is: Why did this sight trigger you so badly? ;)

If I saw an African-American man in a high-crime, really poor neighborhood driving by in a big flashy Cadillac - wouldn't I be one terrible, god-awful bigot for thinking: He must be a pimp... or a drug dealer... or just really irresponsible with his money(?) Yeah, I personally think it would be incredibly crummy to buy into cheap stereotypes and presume that I know anything about the guy.  Because he could also be a doctor who operates a local, low-cost clinic and he makes house calls to elderly shut-in's... and maybe he just really likes the smooth suspension of a Caddy when he's on his way to his patients! 

For the same reason... I'm wondering, just because you see some young guys in pick-up trucks displaying giant American flags, why would you ever jump to the conclusion that they're "unaccomplished, mentally challenged hicks"?? Really?! For all you know, AVB, those guys have lost older siblings in the Middle East... or maybe they'll be enlisting themselves!  That could be a heartfelt, genuine show of patriotism... just done in a more flamboyant way then you're used to.

We're all better off when we don't presume what's in someone's heart or head!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I think the real question is: Why did this sight trigger you so badly? ;)

If I saw an African-American man in a high-crime, really poor neighborhood driving by in a big flashy Cadillac - wouldn't I be one terrible, god-awful bigot for thinking: He must be a pimp... or a drug dealer... or just really irresponsible with his money(?) Yeah, I personally think it would be incredibly crummy to buy into cheap stereotypes and presume that I know anything about the guy.  Because he could also be a doctor who operates a local, low-cost clinic and he makes house calls to elderly shut-in's... and maybe he just really likes the smooth suspension of a Caddy when he's on his way to his patients! 

For the same reason... I'm wondering, just because you see some young guys in pick-up trucks displaying giant American flags, why would you ever jump to the conclusion that they're "unaccomplished, mentally challenged hicks"?? Really?! For all you know, AVB, those guys have lost older siblings in the Middle East... or maybe they'll be enlisting themselves!  That could be a heartfelt, genuine show of patriotism... just done in a more flamboyant way then you're used to.

We're all better off when we don't presume what's in someone's heart or head!

@Mrs. Peel:

Ok, I deserved that.....

Upon further reflection, I can now answer your question about what was my trigger point to comment on this.  I realized that I was equating and associating these current pickup truck flag wavers, with the ones I saw down in NC several years ago, when they would have both the American flag and the Confederate Battle Flag together.  I assumed, probably incorrectly, that they may have been the same folks.  I was very incensed by that gesture at that time, for all of the reasons I expounded upon in the thread I started here on NJGF that was dedicated to those Confederate symbols and their meaning today.  (See photo below of similar trucks that were cruising around NC back then). 

AVB-AMG

Image result for pickup trucks with flag

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

Already have one for the jeep for holidays 

@fishnut

Well, at least you reserve flying it only on holidays....

AVB-AMG

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

I am currently down in NC at our beach house this week and yes, we are just a short time away from our Independence Day national holiday. 

@AVB-AMG,  Since you're down there, go check out the perfect event for you. You'll feel right at home with your TDS brothers...

'Burn that rag!' Activists to desecrate the flag at Trump July Fourth rally

...." Longtime flag-burning activist Gregory "Joey" Johnson of the Revolutionary Communist Party told the Washington Examiner, "I'm going to be there in D.C.," and "that rag of empire and oppression is going to burn."

"I'll be in town to make it happen and to help expose Trump's fascist agenda with the message that America was never great. America was built on slavery, genocide, and war," Johnson said. "Instead of trying to go back to some dreamland America that never existed, we need to go forward to a world without America and everything it stands for."

Johnson said he's upset about many recent Trump policies. He's angered by escalating tensions with Iran and detention of people who cross the border illegally.

The activist said the flag is "flying over the pens of mass incarceration, filled with 2 million people" and over the "thousands of refugees in dog pens" along the Mexican border.

"And yeah, it's the flag of this shameless fascist jackal Trump," he said.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/burn-that-rag-activists-to-desecrate-the-flag-at-trump-july-fourth-rally

• FacePalm 1

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

@AVB-AMG,  Since you're down there, go check out the perfect event for you. You'll feel right at home with your TDS brothers...

I don't think that's QUITE fair, Sniper! AVB may on occasion feel "perplexed" when people from other backgrounds do things differently than he would... but I do NOT think he hates this country by any means. I believe he means it when he says this:

10 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

I consider myself to be a patriotic American, recognizing that through the accident of birth, I am an American citizen who also appreciates our country’s history, why it was founded and respect and cherish how important our Constitutionally-guaranteed freedoms are.

I believe that too many Americans take our freedoms for granted.  They fail to appreciate and honor those Americans who have fought in wars and have either been wounded or have paid the supreme sacrifice with their lives to ensure that we maintain those freedoms. I believe that our flag is an important symbol of that understanding and pride of the actions our citizens have taken to defend the ideals they and we feel is important enough to die for. 

You really have to take his post in its entirety. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

but I do NOT think he hates this country by any means. I believe he means it when he says this:

Well, he shares the same beliefs about Trump as the flag burner does (go back and read all of AVB Trump rants), so I figured he could share some brotherhood and commiserate about how bad Trump is with the flag burner. Then, they could share a nice bottle of wine together.... :scratchhead:

9 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

my flags are out every single day. people I never met have died for me. relatives have died for me. the least I can do is to honor them and fly the flag of the greatest country on the planet every day. 

I have 2 American flags out on my house every day for the exact same reason as you.  1 by the front door and 1 on the garage. I dont have flag lights so I bring them in at night though. 

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

I have 2 American flags out on my house every day for the exact same reason as you.  1 by the front door and 1 on the garage. I dont have flag lights so I bring them in at night though. 

a the shop they come in at night. at home, she stays out 24/7, as the light from my garage lights her from one side, and i bought a solar flood light which lights her from the street side.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sniper said:

Well, he shares the same beliefs about Trump as the flag burner does (go back and read all of AVB Trump rants), so I figured he could share some brotherhood and commiserate about how bad Trump is with the flag burner. Then, they could share a nice bottle of wine together.... :scratchhead:

@Sniper

You know that your comparison of me to Gregory "Joey" Johnson is totally bogus and just your inflammatory way to personally attack me without really considering the point(s) I make and respond with an intelligent and articulate comment.  From my previous posts here, anyone can tell that I respect our flag and what it stands for.  I totally disagree with the association of our flag to other issues that Johnson made in his quote that you posted.

In a similar fashion, it would be if I compared you to and cited one of the many hateful proclamations made by Richard B. Spencer, the wife-abuser, American neo-Nazi and white supremacist and president of the National Policy Institute, a white supremacist think tank.  That would be an extreme over reaction and not fair to you, even if you may agree with some of his stated positions. 

I really do think we all need to throttle back down the hateful comments.  Yes, I have been guilty of writing some incendiary posts and will try not to make them personal towards other posters and focus on the point I am trying to make.  It is hard not to take criticism personally, but I think that I and all of us should at least try to rise above making negative comments towards each other, ranging from snarky barbs, to petty insults to slanderous and hateful accusations, since they clearly are not productive and just makes things worse on both sides.

Also, we are all human with imperfections and histories of decisions and actions performed in the past that we now may regret or would have done differently.  So there really never will be any candidate devoid of flaws or previous bad choices.  Therefore, we all have to make do with whom we feel, moving forward, will have learned from their past successes and failures, and act and perform their duties in the best interest of our country.  We all are free to make that challenging choice and decision ourselves, which of course includes taking a chance and/or leap of faith.

That is one of the reasons I am currently leaning towards supporting Joe Biden's candidacy.  Yes, he has had some creepy moments with people and I do wish he could just come out and sincerely apologize for how he treated Anita Hill at the Clarence Thomas hearings in the Senate.  Yet, from the current ridiculously large crop of Democrat candidates who have migrated to the far-left, (way too far in my opinion), I think that Biden is the most moderate and acceptable of the bunch.

So is it really too much to ask for you and others to accept that there are many folks who really do not like Donald Trump and never have and are seeking a viable alternative candidate to vote for?  You may not agree with us, but that is the beauty of our Constitutional system, 1st Amendment rights, that allows us all to express our different opinions.  But ideally, to do so respectfully. 

AVB-AMG

9 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

So is it really too much to ask for you and others to accept that there are many folks who really do not like Donald Trump and never have and are seeking a viable alternative candidate to vote for?  You may not agree with us, but that is the beauty of our Constitutional system, 1st Amendment rights, that allows us all to express our different opinions.  But ideally, to do so respectfully. 

AVB-AMG

Not liking Trump is fine,  Looking for another candidate is fine also.  Spouting CNN talking points like they are fact,  making shit up, and just all out delusion is NOT.  And that is what you get called out for.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PeteF said:

Not liking Trump is fine,  Looking for another candidate is fine also.  Spouting CNN talking points like they are fact,  making shit up, and just all out delusion is NOT.  And that is what you get called out for.

Sadly, AVB's TDS runs so deep and severe, he doesn't even realize it. That's truly the issue with him, he spouts CNN and MSNBC Lies like they are based in fact. Really sad...