GramGun79

Anyone heard about this?

47 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

1200 dollars for a gun I could put together for half the price.

I feel you fam, but look past the economics - I wanna know if these  "Non-NFA" AR "Not-a-rifle-not-a-pistols" are really a legit loophole.

If so, I can't wait to build an AR riftol in .308 and be even more of an a-hole at indoor ranges than I am at shotgun shoots. (right Zeke?)

• Agree 1

Troy is making one as well.

fjAuFeT.jpg

Has 1/7 twist rifling - not straight rifling.

Designed to be fired with 2 hands - pistol grip and broom handle vert grip - So it isn’t a pistol.

It doesn’t have a stock, so it isn’t a rifle. 

Overall length makes it not an AOW.

Squarely in the “Firearm” realm.

• Agree 1

So the company is from NY and makes "NY Compliant" guns.

So from the the website...

image.png

https://www.dark-storm.com/dsi/variant-1/v1-firearms/dsi-variant-1-non-nfa-firearm-5.56/

So will have to defer to the NJ people who are up on it... BUT...

Certainly not a rifle...

BUT isn't NJ defining pistols itself anyway?

Personally, I would be quite concerned shooting it in NJ myself as you will certainly attract attention.

With the Franklin Armory product at least it is more explainable, non-rifled barrel. 

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

fjAuFeT.jpg

Designed to be fired with 2 hands - pistol grip and broom handle vert grip - So it isn’t a pistol.

Question chief, is 10.5 the shortest you would go or 12.5?

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

fjAuFeT.jpg

I am just wondering how many of the people buying these will be 100% able to explain why it is not a rifle, not a pistol or an AOW. =P 

Just now, 0Jeep4 said:

Okay so now the real question is how does one get a receiver transferred to themselves labeled “firearm”. Last I check receiver in nj only transfer as rifles I thought. 

I believe you are correct sir! Could pose a problem in building one yourself!

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I believe you are correct sir! Could pose a problem in building one yourself!

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Maybe one of the FFLs in here will be more help answering that ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vjf915 said:

Am I missing something here?  (Most of) the rest of the country has been doing this for a couple years now.

I think you’re referring to that they were saying there’s were pistols with the pistol brace. You can’t pull that in NJ because of our overall weight non sense. So isn’t this new to everyone around the NFA sbr tax stamp?

7 minutes ago, vjf915 said:

Am I missing something here?  (Most of) the rest of the country has been doing this for a couple years now.

Are we talking the pistol brace thing?

So that is not the central issue here... it is that this gun was made with the forward vertical grip, thus "Designed" to be fired two hands... much like that "Brace" was not designed to be fired off of the shoulder.

For NJ, this non-AOW status basically tries to thread a very small hole where it is not a pistol, not a rifle, and not an AOW.  So not subject to the pistol weight limit.

Of course, what I think this will do is simply cause 1 of 2 things to happen...

1. NJ redefines these guns and sneaks it into the next set of bills.

2. Gets ATF off their ass and shut down the whole "pistol" thing... which would be bad.

In any case, this will be a bigger issue in NJ than when NJSP said an M1 Carbine clone was okay... until it wasn't. 

Just a matter of time until an SBR with a vertical fore grip is seen as precisely as that. lol.

But yes... I believe to own one of these... it needs to be purchased... rather than built....

9 minutes ago, Maksim said:

But yes... I believe to own one of these... it needs to be purchased... rather than built....

If that's the case, cue PSA making one for $499.95 + $19.95sh, and they'll be selling them like hotcakes. :D 

Just now, sota said:

If that's the case, cue PSA making one for $499.95 + $19.95sh, and they'll be selling them like hotcakes. :D 

I promise you it is only a matter of time....  I will see what my contact at PSA says.

See, for $499, I can see this being a cheap bet.

Spending $1,500 on something oh so in your face... I would not be able to justify.

Honestly, knowing that Troy is making one of these... PSA is likely to have these within 30 days as all of these parts are readily available.

17 minutes ago, david8613 said:

This is not the same gun being marketed.  This is the essentially mag less AR.

The one being sold in the IG picture and as posted are the newer "Non-NFA" guns with a detachable mag.

Interesting, the "Non-NFA" gun is only for CT or NJ... it is NOT legal in MA, NY, CA, or MD.

Wonder the specific difference.

https://www.dark-storm.com/dsi/variant-1/v1-firearms/dsi-variant-1-non-nfa-firearm-5.56/

I'm thinking .300BLK would be perfect.

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

I promise you it is only a matter of time....  I will see what my contact at PSA says.

See, for $499, I can see this being a cheap bet.

Spending $1,500 on something oh so in your face... I would not be able to justify.

Honestly, knowing that Troy is making one of these... PSA is likely to have these within 30 days as all of these parts are readily available.

If your contact doesn't say they're already planning it, beat him over the head with a light bulb. :D

also, I want them in colors.