mustang69

Opinions on Canik TP9 platform

Hi everybody,

Does anyone have any experience with Canik handguns?  I'm looking for any opinions on them.

The LGS I use in NH has one he'll sell below cost.  It's the Canik TP9 Elite Combat in FDE (http://www.canikusa.com/tp9-elite-combat/).  The complete package is pretty interesting and the $600 price he's offered it to me for seems reasonable, but the last thing I need is another striker-fired pistol if it's just going to be a safe queen.  It's not so cheap that I can flip it if I don't like it, but then again the cost won't break me either.

Dry-firing it in the store, it feels like a fantastic trigger - clean,crisp pull, short and distinct reset - about the nicest striker trigger I've felt.  Comes with an 18-round and a 15-round mag, 4 different RDS mounting plates, a paddle holster, tools, additional extended mag release buttons, etc.  It seems like a factory-prep competition gun.

I know nothing about them.  Anyone have one and willing to share their opinion?

Newer Canik guns are quite good and a very cheap alternative to a quality, all around gun.

The main issue I have seen pop up with numerous FFLs and other gun owners is that well, it is made in Turkey.

There are a few issues that come up with this...

1. It was bad enough with "Made in Croatia" for Springfield XD, but "Made in Turkey," a country in Europe that is culturally NOT European and is an Islamic nation.  I think Turkey is better than "Made in UAE" that was on Caracal guns, but they had their own issues.... leading to...

2. Canik is an experienced company but a new entrant to the United States gun market.  There are of course ongoing issues with what happens if they decide to pull out.    When Caracal had their recall, it was a clusterf that screwed many people.  When you are dealing with a foreign, "second-world" nation, there are concerns.  Of course, this is why the price is reflected as such.

Hope that helps.

Will say, two FFLs I spoke with today, NJGF Vendors, both commented that Canik makes a good pistol and represents a good value.  The issue is of course as we discussed, NOT the pistol.

I had one.  

Nice shooter (it was an all aluminum EAA clone) but I had a problem with the beavertail biting my hand so away it went.  

When it went, I took a bath on it.  This was several years ago and the brand was even less well known than it is now.  So, yeah. 

Nice little shooter tho.

I held a canik TP9SFX in hand when I was picking up my cz p10c and the triggers felt similar, very nice break and reset. The canik TP9SFX was a really nice gun, build was nice, clean. lots of accessories in the case. Grip felt fantastic in hand, back straps, lightning cuts, nice sights, optics on board. It was actually alot of gun for the money imo.