revenger

purchasing alcohol at weiss market

My son wanted to buy me a beer for fathers day so we went into the new Weiss liquor store in Randolph,  He's only 15  ( I'm 56 ) so obviously I was buying it.

At the register when I went to pay the kid asked me for my ID?   so I showed him NJ DL and he proceeded to scan it into some device,   I took it away from him and asked what he was doing and he said its company policy?    He couldn't even tell me what, where or who was collecting the data.    I explained to him that their is nobody on planet earth that needs to know what I'm buying and went to bar on rt 10 and got my beer.

Now I don't drink and the last time I actually made an adult beverage purchase in NJ was probably somewhere around 2006/7 time frame.    Is this something new.   CVS tried the same shit when I was purchasing an Amazon card for 300 bucks,  store policy they tell me to scan DL.

I think we all know where this is going and what the data will be used for and who will have access to it,  just like cell phones tracking your every move.   all that data will be discoverable to the prosecutor when you get in trouble just like plate readers are. 

Sorry fed's,   I'm not going to make it easy for you.

FYI

• Like 1

I've seen young'uns get carded at WaWa when buying cigarettes.

The clerk scans the 'code' on the back of their DLs rather than looking at the birthdate on the front.

I agree - data collection has gone too far here in this nanny state.

And now they want to keep track of the ammo we buy. :FLIPA:

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, revenger said:

I think we all know where this is going and what the data will be used for and who will have access to it,  just like cell phones tracking your every move.   all that data will be discoverable to the prosecutor when you get in trouble just like plate readers are. 

4 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

There's just too much "collection" of privacy data going on these days. Talk about "big brother".

4 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

I agree - data collection has gone too far here in this nanny state.

It has gone too far in the complete country... but guess what, it will continue unabated, since Americans will allow it, starting with apps on their devices, IoT devices in their homes, Onstar type vehicle trackers, cameras all over the place, Facebook, Google, etc.....

The "sheep" will continue to let all their privacy and this data collection to continue, without a whimper... so sad..

• Agree 1

Interesting... most likely, they are just using the same system as the Weiss here in PA.

In Pa, for their licenses, there IS a limit as to how much they can sell you and they have to log it.

Giving and scanning a drivers license for booze anywhere here, is standard protocol... (as far as I have seen over the past year.)

All the supermarkets in PA by my house do this but the beer distributors do not. One time my license was expired by 2 days(my fault) and the guy would not sell me a six pack. So I had to go to the distributor and buy a case instead. 

5 hours ago, carl_g said:

All the supermarkets in PA by my house do this but the beer distributors do not. One time my license was expired by 2 days(my fault) and the guy would not sell me a six pack. So I had to go to the distributor and buy a case instead. 

So because you weren't legally allowed to drive, you also weren't illegally allowed to buy beer?

What are all the illegal immigrants doing for cerveza?