Maksim

Apache "skb/pelican" cases from Harbor Freight

I use one of the larger ones as a range box.  I fit 4 handguns, mags, eyes & ears into the case.  Only downside I found is the foam is a bit cheap.  Eventually I'll need to find some replacement that holds up better.  I also have a smaller one I bought when I was traveling a lot for work when I thought I might take one with me, but I never tried it with TSA.  No reason it wouldn't work that I can see though.

No experience with how weather tight it is.

11 hours ago, mustang69 said:

I use one of the larger ones as a range box.  I fit 4 handguns, mags, eyes & ears into the case.  Only downside I found is the foam is a bit cheap.  Eventually I'll need to find some replacement that holds up better.  I also have a smaller one I bought when I was traveling a lot for work when I thought I might take one with me, but I never tried it with TSA.  No reason it wouldn't work that I can see though.

No experience with how weather tight it is.

Thanks... any opinions on how sturdy it is?

And are they returnable/replaceable at Harbor Freight like the tool warranty?

Foam would not be an issue as I would not be using it....

I've got one of them under a different brand name.  I also have some genuine pelican stuff and some SKB stuff. 

The walls are MUCH thinner than pelican, and slightly thinner than the skb (old wire handled pistol case, the ones no longer made in between the flexible rotomolded stuff and their new heavy pelican like stuff). They are made of a similar plastic to the skb. 

They will do for most purposes, but like your video shows, they will give way before the really top notch stuff.  

On 6/15/2019 at 11:47 PM, Maksim said:

Anyone try them or have any experience?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-64550.html?_br_psugg_q=apache+1800

A little ugly but way cheaper....

I’ve had one for about a year now. Mine has a pick and pluck foam layer. Then another one inch foam layer then another pick and pluck layer. It’s the next to smallest size and I comfortably carry 3 pistols in it. I never ran it over or set it afloat but I’ve dropped it and used it extensively in the rain without issues. I’d buy another if the need arose.  

I have a Pelican 1700 case that I accidentally knocked down a flight of stairs in my hotel (don’t ask, I was fumbling around), my rifle didn’t even lose zero. 

Even after many, many trips being beaten up by airline baggage handlers, not once, has it failed me.

I’ll trust Pelican. 

Thanks all.

Got to say, it is "Harbor Freight"... dirt cheap for good enough for most people.... BUT it is made in China,  does not have the automatic pressure valve.

I suppose for the small cases, $14 vs $35 may not be a huge deal for a case that will last a long time (Pelican, SKB, Nanuk).... BUT tougher decision for the larger sized cases where the price difference is more. 

On 6/16/2019 at 7:20 PM, Maksim said:

Just found this video...  

I suppose as long as I don't plan on driving over the case with a 3/4 ton I should be fine.  I just don't like that grid pattern on the apache cases.

This guy has too much free time.

So just bought the Apache case and can compare with my SKB.... 

Apache is okay... but it does scream "Cheap" versus the SKB.

Crappy latches, crappy fit and finish, the retaining clip for the pressure relief valve fell off the first time I tried to unscrew it, stickers are barely staying on.

Inside and out... just no comparison between the two and I even picked the nicest one at HF.

Is it worth the $10 (coupon price)?  Yes... on its own merits... (this was for the small 1800 case).... BUT if you compare the two... and you are storing anything valuable there... I would spend $20 more and get an SKB/Nanuk/Pelican.