Displaced Texan

Best pizza you ever had?

We’ve talked about bbq brisket and ribs, we’ve talked about making sausage, and dry curing meats. Now, let’s talk pizza!!

Today (well, tomorrow), I get to have a very rare treat for me. 

For years, I was stationed in Groton, Ct at the submarine base. Back when I was a wee sea pup, we used to go to this place in Groton called simply, The Pizza Palace. They have THE BEST clam pizza I’ve ever had in my entire life. Clam pizza, you say??!! Imagine fresh, chopped clams, in an AMAZING garlic butter and wine sauce, on a pizza, with fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Holy cow.....THATS some good eats!

Ive been telling Mrs Tex about this pizza for nearly 20 years, and we always meant to road trip up here for a slice of this gastronomic treat! Well, we never made it up here for one reason or another. Last Friday, I found I had to go to Providence for work, so I called the Pizza Palace. They will par-bake one, and freeze it for me!!!! 

I popped by and ordered a pie to be frozen, for my trip home tomorrow. I’m so excited to have Mrs Tex taste this (and me too!!), I can hardly sit still! 

So kids, if you’re ever up in Eastern Ct for some reason, stop by the Pizza Palace in Groton, and order a fresh clam pizza!! You’ll thank me later! 

Ill post pics when I get it home and finish baking it!! Woohoo!!

6C4959BF-50D5-423C-AA08-B96E299B1393.jpeg

• Like 1

Joe and Pat's on Victory Blvd, Staten Island.  Their Margherita is amazing but, IMHO, must be eaten hot.  DeNino's on Hooker Ave, Staten Island has an awesome cheese pie that works hot and cold.  Again, IMHO.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

The house of pizza and calzone in Brooklyn heights area and Arturo pizza NYC 1610 York Ave,

But honestly there are many good ones in Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx and NYC Proper. Queens not so much.

House of pizza best pizza I ever had used to go once a week with my dad. Not just the pizza their deep fried calzones were to die for. Was very upset when they closed. For a time i lived in Staten Island right around the corner from Joe and Pats awesome thin crust pizza but not in the top 5.. Totonos in Coney Island on Neptune ave is as old school Brooklyn pizza there is, that is if you could get in the place its very small and only open Friday , sat and sun. He closed on sun when he ran out of dough. Patsy's in Brooklyn is famous and deserves the title but you have to eat it there.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

I miss Star Tavern in Orange.  Not sure if it’s the best pizza evah but I think about it a lot.  

Grew up in East Orange and used to go to the Star often, was there last year and their thin crust pizza is still fantastic!

Allright I almost never post or even look at all the non gun talk threads on here but since it's you tex and you hooked me up with that awesome brisket I'll tell you about some amazing pizza that's really not a pizza. It doesn't have sauce on it and no pizza kinda cheese, it has cheese like a breakfast sandwich. It's called the belly buster. It's got bacon, potatoes, ham, sausage, eggs and a ton of other stuff I'm forgetting. It's from a place called steak em ups in south Philly http://www.steakemup.com/

https://imgur.com/a/Qg7FTIm

I'm also a huge fan of manco and mancos and macks in wildwood, but I hate the people on the wildwood Boardwalk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

From what I know they are still open, different owners, I used to go 2-3 a week when I was a kid, lived a few blocks from them.

Yes still open same name but different owners. They kept the name but the pizza is total crap. Today nothing is what it used to be. To me they did close.

1 hour ago, louu said:

Allright I almost never post or even look at all the non gun talk threads on here but since it's you tex and you hooked me up with that awesome brisket I'll tell you about some amazing pizza that's really not a pizza. It doesn't have sauce on it and no pizza kinda cheese, it has cheese like a breakfast sandwich. It's called the belly buster. It's got bacon, potatoes, ham, sausage, eggs and a ton of other stuff I'm forgetting. It's from a place called steak em ups in south Philly http://www.steakemup.com/

https://imgur.com/a/Qg7FTIm

You have my full attention!! I’m gonna try that! 

Thanks, my friend!

Precious cargo coming home! 

This has been a fun little adventure. When I picked up the pizza this morning, I got to speak to the owner of the Pizza Palace, a good Greek guy named Teddy. He opened it in 1965, His son now owns and operates the place, but Teddy is still the Master pizza man! Teddy is 86, and still makes dough and pizza every day, by hand, just like he’s done since ‘65!!

I told him the story, about enjoying the clam pizza when I was stationed there years ago, and how I’d been telling my wife about this pizza for damn near 20 years! He was absolutely thrilled that his little ole pizza place was such a fond memory for me over so many years, and that I was (finally!!) going to be able to have my wife experience it too! We had a nice conversation, a few laughs, and strict instructions on how to finish cooking this pizza!! 

Homeward bound! 

66D83181-1707-4702-AF36-EEA71B795E6E.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Zia Lisa in Edison makes the best Grandma Pie in the world. Absolutely to die for.

Tex, next time you are commuting through my area at lunch time, I will take you.

Thanks, HE!! I’ll be taking you up on that!:D

21 hours ago, Bully said:

Joe and Pat's on Victory Blvd, Staten Island.  Their Margherita is amazing but, IMHO, must be eaten hot.  DeNino's on Hooker Ave, Staten Island has an awesome cheese pie that works hot and cold.  Again, IMHO.  

For me Nunzio's on Hyland Blvd in Staten island.

Spirito's in Elizabeth.

Schiano's in Bayville.

It's really hard to find find bad pizza in NJ and NY.  A place that makes bad pizza is soon out of business.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

It's really hard to find find bad pizza in NJ and NY.  A place that makes bad pizza is soon out of business

Yes.  And I'll never understand why all these Dominoes and Papa John places succeed with their cardboard with ketchup on it pies when we are the mecca of pizza.  

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, BobA said:

Yes.  And I'll never understand why all these Dominoes and Papa John places succeed with their cardboard with ketchup on it pies when we are the mecca of pizza.  

I have a friend in Miami who grew up in Jersey  City.  His kids who've lived there all their lives there think Domino's is good pizza.

4 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Precious cargo coming home! 

This has been a fun little adventure. When I picked up the pizza this morning, I got to speak to the owner of the Pizza Palace, a good Greek guy named Teddy. He opened it in 1965, His son now owns and operates the place, but Teddy is still the Master pizza man! Teddy is 86, and still makes dough and pizza every day, by hand, just like he’s done since ‘65!!

I told him the story, about enjoying the clam pizza when I was stationed there years ago, and how I’d been telling my wife about this pizza for damn near 20 years! He was absolutely thrilled that his little ole pizza place was such a fond memory for me over so many years, and that I was (finally!!) going to be able to have my wife experience it too! We had a nice conversation, a few laughs, and strict instructions on how to finish cooking this pizza!! 

Homeward bound! 

66D83181-1707-4702-AF36-EEA71B795E6E.jpeg

WTF is a grinder?  Fake food like Taylor Ham? :icon_razz:

10 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

A grinder is a hot sub sandwich. 

I’ve only ever heard that term being used up in eastern Ct. 

I know as I lived in New England for a few years.  I was trying to spin off the pork roll thread into a hoagie / grinder thread.

• Haha 2