Displaced Texan

Best pizza you ever had?

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

For me Nunzio's on Hyland Blvd in Staten island.

Spirito's in Elizabeth.

Schiano's in Bayville.

It's really hard to find find bad pizza in NJ and NY.  A place that makes bad pizza is soon out of business.

Nunzio's and L&B Spumoni Garden round out my top 5. When I moved out here I was very excited to find Brooklyn Square in Jackson. They are Italians from Brooklyn their Grandma pie is amazing the real deal.

Good places for pizza IMO:

• Reservoir Tavern, Boonton, NJ
  • Chimney Rock Inn, Bridgewater, NJ
  • Federici's Family Restaurant, Freehold, NJ
  • Nicolosi's Pizza, Phillipsburg, NJ
  • (Sentimental, childhood fav) Manville Pizza (the Sicilian pie), Manville, NJ

Bob, 

I genuflect regarding your firearms and billiards knowledge, but DeLo's in Robbinsville can be hit or miss. However,  DeLorenzo's The Burg in Levittown is consistently top notch for their TOMATO PIES. I don't know what these pizzas others speak of are.  No offense Tex, as your BBQ expertise is unquestioned, but clams belong on linguine.

23 minutes ago, bennj said:

No offense Tex, as your BBQ expertise is unquestioned, but clams belong on linguine.

No offense taken, as long as you don’t do one or both of these two things. 

1) Put pineapple on your pizza. Seriously, I LOVE pineapple, but who the hell decided it was a proper pizza topping?!

2) Boil ribs in bbq sauce in your crock pot. There is too much wrong with that to list. 

:D

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

9 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Zia Lisa in Edison makes the best Grandma Pie in the world. Absolutely to die for.

Tex, next time you are commuting through my area at lunch time, I will take you.

Sal is a great guy...I haven't been in a few years. I supply them with sausage and other provisions.  

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Good places for pizza IMO:

• Reservoir Tavern, Boonton, NJ
  • Chimney Rock Inn, Bridgewater, NJ
  • Federici's Family Restaurant, Freehold, NJ
  • Nicolosi's Pizza, Phillipsburg, NJ
  • (Sentimental, childhood fav) Manville Pizza (the Sicilian pie), Manville, NJ

Love Chimney Rock..The pizza is good for a tavern/bar pie. 

Lombardis in Martinsville make a killer wood oven pie 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, bennj said:

And by the way, grinders are the missapropriated name for hoagies. 

Grinders come in three flavors:  die, side and bench.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GRIZ said:

If you find yourself on St Simons Island in GA and in need of a real pizza go to Sal's. 

Rocky's in Yuma, AZ.  Rocky was from Brooklyn.

Sal's is great pizza! He's a NY/NJ guy, tell him you're from either and he will be talking for a while! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GramGun79 said:

Love Chimney Rock..The pizza is good for a tavern/bar pie. 

Lombardis in Martinsville make a killer wood oven pie 

There are 3 chimney rock locations now and they are all consistent. 

Bridgewater

Gillette

Flemington

11 hours ago, bennj said:

Bob, 

I genuflect regarding your firearms and billiards knowledge, but DeLo's in Robbinsville can be hit or miss. However,  DeLorenzo's The Burg in Levittown is consistently top notch for their TOMATO PIES. I don't know what these pizzas others speak of are.  No offense Tex, as your BBQ expertise is unquestioned, but clams belong on linguine.

I want to try this place some day:  https://www.papastomatopies.com/

We travel for the best food!  50 mi R/T to Summit Diner for breakfast is no biggie :) .  Always did make it an adventure! 

To us Pizza comes in different "styles" and no one joint makes them OR makes them all the way I want:

Thin Crust, Regular Crust w/ stuff on it, Regular PLAIN, Grandma (Sicilian-Lite) and Sicilian.

We go to the Star Tavern on High St. in Orange when we want the best thin crust.  And their beer fridge is set just above freezin'!

2nd best thin crust is Vic's in Bradley Beach.  If we want a "cracker" thin crust it's Pete & Elda's (I've been collecting their T-shirts for well over 2 decades!) 

Regular Crust w/ stuff on it Krispy Pizza (for slices ONLY) in Old Bridge on Rt. 516 by the outdoor range.  Yes, they're from Brook-a-Leen & Static Island.  Tied with them is Amano Pizza in So. Amboy on Bordentown Ave IF you order it as a whole pie w/ EXTRA SAUCE otherwise can be a little "dry".

Regular-PLAIN is the one & only Manville Pizza and Restaurant est. 1969 at 31 So. Main Street in Manville.  Anthony the owner is a CNJFO sponsor, avid hunter, and NRA Benefactor Life Member!  Check-out photos of his harvests on the wall.  If someone complains about the pix, he tells them to not come back!  Dude is a SAINT to the 2A scene in NJ!  TRY HIS CHICKEN WINGS!  He hosts the annual CNJFO Wing-Ding Meet & Greet!

Grandma is a tie between Manville and Krispy!  EYE-TALIAN to the core.  Close yer eyes & ya can't tell them apart!

Sicilian is Manville:  never overdone, never too dry, has enough cheese, and the meats & veggies taste great!  Too many joints over-bake the thick crust when they initially bake, and that dries-out the end product.  THAT doesn't happen at Anthony's joint!  Almost forgot to mention:  Manville Pizza and Restaurant est. 1969 has a liquor license & their beer is ICE COLD!  Fountain sodas refillable!

Image may contain: food and indoor

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

YES, THEY EVEN MAKE VALENTINES PIZZA ON FEBRUARY 14TH!

Image may contain: pizza and food

YES, CNJFO PACKS THE JOINT!

Image may contain: 6 people, indoor

19 hours ago, GRIZ said:

It's really hard to find find bad pizza in NJ and NY.  A place that makes bad pizza is soon out of business.

20 years ago I'd agree with you. The middle of the bell curve was at somewhere between decent and good. 

Today? So much crap pizza. The middle of the bell curve is at "meh". 

Too many pizza places, too close together, and too few willing to support  bumping prices a couple of bucks to keep on using high quality ingredients. 

• Informative 1

14 hours ago, bennj said:

Bob, 

I don't know - I was never impressed with the pies put out at their Hamilton Ave and subsequently the Sloan Ave locations. OTOH I've had only great experiences at the original 'burg location (now closed) , the Robbinsville and now the Yardley/Lower Makefield stores.

I kind of take umbrage at the other side of the family co-opting the "Burg" name with the Levittown store in an effort obfuscate exactly which Delorenzo's pies you'll be getting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: Thanks for the kind words

2 hours ago, raz-0 said:

20 years ago I'd agree with you. The middle of the bell curve was at somewhere between decent and good. 

Today? So much crap pizza. The middle of the bell curve is at "meh". 

Too many pizza places, too close together, and too few willing to support  bumping prices a couple of bucks to keep on using high quality ingredients. 

Not so in my area.  There's at least a dozen pizza places within a few miles of my house.  I haven't eaten them all but those I have are at least pretty good.  Schiano's the best and one Domino's at the other end of the spectrum. I've actually got a pizza from Domino's once.  That's because I got a coupon for a free one.