PK90

NJ measures OAL how? Asked and answered.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:07 PM, ChrisJM981 said:

I'm probably in the same boat. I do like to tinker and build things, so I won't rule it out. 

My advice to any home builders is simply to use an 11.5" or longer barrel, make sure to use a vertical foregrip, and remove the brace from the buffer tube to measure the OAL. If you have any questions (I'm not an attorney) feel free to PM me. 

What OAL does this set up typically equate to from end of barrel threads to end of buffer tube?

I suppose if you really wanted to, you can make it shorter or put a law folder on and do a form 1 for an AOW. AOW's are the only NFA item legal in this state. (correct me if I'm wrong)

2 hours ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

I suppose if you really wanted to, you can make it shorter or put a law folder on and do a form 1 for an AOW. AOW's are the only NFA item legal in this state. (correct me if I'm wrong)

You're wrong. At least according to the NJSP. I had Federally approved AOWs way back when, and NJSP FIU said to get rid of them. I couldn't convince them that they were wrong.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:28 AM, deni said:

What OAL does this set up typically equate to from end of barrel threads to end of buffer tube?

With an 11.5" barrel, mil spec buffer tube, upper, and lower you should be at 26.1"

6 hours ago, PK90 said:

You're wrong. At least according to the NJSP. I had Federally approved AOWs way back when, and NJSP FIU said to get rid of them. I couldn't convince them that they were wrong.

Killjoy lol sheesh, I would build it anyway.  Take up a go fund me for a legal fund.  :)

22 hours ago, PK90 said:

really? The NJ gun laws have said Class 1 NFA items are permitted....I'll take your word for it. 

like I've said before, I have my 07/03 and built one on my books a while ago, I built a Noveske 5.56 12.5" barrel, unsuppressed the concussion and blowback is annoying and I don't shoot it often for this reason. I had a Surefire Warden on mine for a bit which helped with the concussion but it was still annoying. Go 300blk or 9MM if you're going to build one. I'm very tempted to sell my 12.5" upper and get the Noveske 9mm 10.5" complete upper and use the endo mags since they work with Glock and Colt style BCG's. 

5 minutes ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

I built a Noveske 5.56 12.5" barrel, unsuppressed the concussion and blowback is annoying and I don't shoot it often for this reason. I had a Surefire Warden on mine for a bit which helped with the concussion but it was still annoying.

Weird...

I’m issued a Colt R0933 “Commando” at work. 11.5” barrel, with an A2 on it. I have zero issues shooting it, in fact it’s one of my favorite guns to shoot. The concussion, blowback, and recoil are mild and a non-issue.

mine has a Surefire Socom brake, that explains it :lol: I want to switch it for the socom 3 prong or maybe the Q cherry bomb since it doesn't require timing, just a 1/2" socket and torque it to spec and you're good. I'll have to ask my friends in free states what cans they have so I can get the right muzzle device for their cans. Shooting it suppressed is a lot more enjoyable 

good thing is I know people with Surefire cans since I already shoot them with the socom brake. For 5.56 you don't really need a comp or a brake, but our way of working with unconstitutional laws in NJ.

3 hours ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

mine has a Surefire Socom brake, that explains it :lol: I want to switch it for the socom 3 prong or maybe the Q cherry bomb since it doesn't require timing, just a 1/2" socket and torque it to spec and you're good. I'll have to ask my friends in free states what cans they have so I can get the right muzzle device for their cans. Shooting it suppressed is a lot more enjoyable 

I run a 7.5 in AR SBR with a Black River Tactical comp..I have no problems with the gun at all being unpleasant.. my wife can shoot it all day long..  

1 hour ago, vladtepes said:

I run a 7.5 in AR SBR with a Black River Tactical comp..I have no problems with the gun at all being unpleasant.. my wife can shoot it all day long..  

Only thing nicer than the BRT linear comp was the Griffin Armament M4SD Linear Comp, but good luck getting one, those things are like good dust, and Griffin Armament told me two weeks ago that they have no intention of ever producing another run of them. Should've bought two when they still had 'em!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, runcibleman said:

Only thing nicer than the BRT linear comp was the Griffin Armament M4SD Linear Comp, but good luck getting one, those things are like good dust, and Griffin Armament told me two weeks ago that they have no intention of ever producing another run of them. Should've bought two when they still had 'em!

I looked at the Griffin one.. I have a griffin muzzle device on my 14in AR and it is top notch.. I literally just ordered a BRT comp for my EVO so I can take off the ridiculous faux supressor.. I guess I understand sticking that on there as so many people suppress them.. but god that thing looks silly..