JT Custom Guns

NJ Sues Las Vegas Gun Dealer over Hi-Cap mags shipped to NJ

1 minute ago, Maksim said:

So I looked up a few of the previous cases that CA and San Francisco brought up against companies selling "magazine repair kits," aka a complete mag taken apart.

Those companies, none of which were located in California, all decided to settle and agreed to pay a $23k fine.

I am fairly positive NFA will end up doing the same thing... agree not to sell to NJ and will end up paying a fine. 

Civil suits don't result in fines. Only judgements. NJ would have to figure out how to collect on the judgement.

NJ would need to win a civil suit in Federal court for the judgement to be good nationwide. I was the Foreman on a jury in a major federal civil suit. The plaintiffs did not prevail.

Just now, brucin said:

Civil suits don't result in fines. Only judgements. NJ would have to figure out how to collect on the judgement.

NJ would need to win a civil suit in Federal court for the judgement to be good nationwide. I was the Foreman on a jury in a major federal civil suit. The plaintiffs did not prevail.

You are correct, let me rephrase... judgments. =)

In previous cases that I looked up, the companies settled and I assume paid up. 

1 minute ago, Maksim said:

You are correct, let me rephrase... judgments. =)

In previous cases that I looked up, the companies settled and I assume paid up. 

If they want to keep doing business with residents of NJ they would have to settle the judgement.

I imagine that NJ would somehow be able to seize any payment by a NJ resident who uses a financial institution which has a physical presence in NJ intended for NFA and put that towards the judgement.

I hope that NFA is just trying to jerk NJ's chain. If that's the case I approve that message.

18 minutes ago, Maksim said:

So I looked up a few of the previous cases that CA and San Francisco brought up against companies selling "magazine repair kits," aka a complete mag taken apart.

Those companies, none of which were located in California, all decided to settle and agreed to pay a $23k fine.

I am fairly positive NFA will end up doing the same thing... agree not to sell to NJ and will end up paying a fine. 

I wonder if they paid. If NFA settled, what could happen if they didn't pay?