Jump to content
david8613

All metal hand gun recommendations?

Recommended Posts

Hello all, looking for all metal recommendations, but in automatics. I will leave the wheel guns and 1911s alone until a later time maybe. I have had sigs in the past, and although they are very nice, I want to try something different. I was looking at cz and magnum research. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, david8613 said:

Hello all, looking for all metal recommendations, but in automatics. I will leave the wheel guns and 1911s alone until a later time maybe. I have had sigs in the past, and although they are very nice, I want to try something different. I was looking at cz and magnum research. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Get a 1911. 

In either case the list is short at this point.

Beretta 92, CZ75, Sigs,  BHP, all the CZ clones.  And then a whole bunch of mil surplus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

lol..think he said he'll leave the  wheel guns and 1911s alone till future date

 

op, will you look at older firearms?  Must they be new?

You were supposed to type 

1911

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New and used are ok. I totally forgot about beretta that's a good one!!!! I had a funny feeling some would mention 1911 and revolvers. I am liking cz 75 and baby desert eagle alot. A long time ago I had a cz clone I got in sell cheap, I forgot who made it, I sold it before firing it, dont ask me why I did that. I do remember it was very very nice, the fit and build was excellent, finish was brushed steel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zeke said:

You were supposed to type 

1911

?

1 minute ago, david8613 said:

New and used are ok. I totally forgot about beretta that's a good one!!!! I had a funny feeling some would mention 1911 and revolvers. I am liking cz 75 and baby desert eagle alot. I had a cz clone I got in trade, I forgot who made it, I sold it before firing it, dont ask me why I did that. I do remember it was very nice, the fit and build was excellent, finish was brushed steel.

cz/beretta would be my first choices

if looking older, ruger p89 is a tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a navy version of beretta, never seen one like that? My brother has that ruger p89, I'm gonna have to ask him to bring it out. Glock? I always try to have a glock in the line up! Lol. If they only would make a metal one like Walter is doing with Walter ppq, it would sell like crazy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that walther is nice, I'll need to look at that

 

3 minutes ago, david8613 said:

Is that a navy version of beretta, never seen one like that? My brother has that ruger p89, I'm gonna have to ask him to bring it out. 

tank....well made and in my humble opinion, more reliable than glock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, david8613 said:

Is that a navy version of beretta, never seen one like that? My brother has that ruger p89, I'm gonna have to ask him to bring it out. Glock? I always try to have a glock in the line up! Lol. If they only would make a metal one like Walter is doing with Walter ppq, it would sell like crazy! 

Glocks are great at what they do, but don't discount Walther. The PPQ is newer, but I find the ergonomics way better. I have about 12K rounds through my PPQ M1 and have nothing but praise for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I am really liking the Beretta M9A3... the Walther Q5 SF match... eh.  Was way too heavy.  And it is still not as good as a CZ SP01, especially a custom shop model at that price point.

But seriously... 1911.

In the end it depends on what OP's intended use it. I'm no collector and plan to shoot every gun I buy. The Q5 SF was engineered to be heavy. I haven't shot one, though. I'll have to take your word for it.

If I were to get a 1911, I'd look at the Dan Wesson Specialist or Valor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SgtToadette said:

In the end it depends on what OP's intended use it. I'm no collector and plan to shoot every gun I buy. The Q5 SF was engineered to be heavy. I haven't shot one, though. I'll have to take your word for it.

If I were to get a 1911, I'd look at the Dan Wesson Specialist or Valor.

Will clarify.

I am a big fan of all metal guns and why I love 1911s and my CZs.  The Q5 SF match just felt like an overweight pig, particularly during transitions... they took a gun designed to be a polymer gun and made it into a steel frame...

So I really like the Q5... just not the Q5 SF... but there will be plenty who want to buy the Q5 SF just because it is not a CZ. =)

The Q5 SF just did not seem balanced well, by that I mean shooting balance between enough weight to reduce muzzle climb and being light enough to transition from target to target.   

And of course the price... great value for $1,000.... $1,500 is more difficult to justify and there are other better options out there at that price point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Will clarify.

I am a big fan of all metal guns and why I love 1911s and my CZs.  The Q5 SF match just felt like an overweight pig, particularly during transitions... they took a gun designed to be a polymer gun and made it into a steel frame...

So I really like the Q5... just not the Q5 SF... but there will be plenty who want to buy the Q5 SF just because it is not a CZ. =)

The Q5 SF just did not seem balanced well, by that I mean shooting balance between enough weight to reduce muzzle climb and being light enough to transition from target to target.   

And of course the price... great value for $1,000.... $1,500 is more difficult to justify and there are other better options out there at that price point.

So here's a question I'll throw out there to which I'm not sure there's a right answer: Do metal guns really shoot better than plastic guns?

I'm not very experienced with all metal guns, but I've seen plenty of people come to IDPA/USPSA matches with their Beretta 92s or Sig P226s, and eventually they end up with some flavor of Glock (or a knock-off).

I understand the appeal of an all metal gun, but from where I sit the benefits seem largely exaggerated. Especially when shooting 9mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget is not unlimited! Lol. That's why I was looking at baby desert eagle and cz alot of gun at an affordable price. I did buy a canik TP9SFX recently waiting for pick up, which is similar to the polymer version ppq. Next  permit will definitely be going heavy metal!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SgtToadette said:

So here's a question I'll throw out there to which I'm not sure there's a right answer: Do metal guns really shoot better than plastic guns?

I'm not very experienced with all metal guns, but I've seen plenty of people come to IDPA/USPSA matches with their Beretta 92s or Sig P226s, and eventually they end up with some flavor of Glock (or a knock-off).

I understand the appeal of an all metal gun, but from where I sit the benefits seem largely exaggerated. Especially when shooting 9mm.

see, I would think it's the opposite given the all metal are usually heavier and thus, would absorb more of the recoil and muzzle flip.....in theory

I hate Glock, will never ever own one.  It's like buying a Yugo for fuel efficiency and a low payment.....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

see, I would think it's the opposite given the all metal are usually heavier and thus, would absorb more of the recoil and muzzle flip.....in theory

I hate Glock, will never ever own one.  It's like buying a Yugo for fuel efficiency and a low payment.....lol

I wouldn't have such a hard line with the plastic guns. They have a lot to offer from a "shootability" perspective. They're also stupid reliable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CZ 75 P-01 Omega 9mm (usually hard to find but excellent)

CZ P-07 9mm (more plentiful and an excellent shooter and excellent price and availability)

CZ 75 B and D models 9mm

CZ Shadow 2 (pricey but incredible shooter) 9mm

Various Model Beretta's  9mm

Sig Sauer P-226 and P-229 9mm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SJG said:

CZ 75 P-01 Omega 9mm (usually hard to find but excellent)

CZ P-07 9mm (more plentiful and an excellent shooter and excellent price and availability)

CZ 75 B and D models 9mm

CZ Shadow 2 (pricey but incredible shooter) 9mm

Various Model Beretta's  9mm

Sig Sauer P-226 and P-229 9mm

This was good info. So many cz models to choose from. This looks so nice, cz very high on list.

Screenshot_20190620-210723_Chrome.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SgtToadette said:

So here's a question I'll throw out there to which I'm not sure there's a right answer: Do metal guns really shoot better than plastic guns?

I'm not very experienced with all metal guns, but I've seen plenty of people come to IDPA/USPSA matches with their Beretta 92s or Sig P226s, and eventually they end up with some flavor of Glock (or a knock-off).

I understand the appeal of an all metal gun, but from where I sit the benefits seem largely exaggerated. Especially when shooting 9mm.

Define shoot better?

I think it will depend on what you are looking for?

CZs will generally be more accurate, part of the reason why is the full length internal rail.  This also gets the slide a tad lower so they shoot well.  Biggest complaint that you will find on CZs is that they are either smaller frame (if you got big paws), and because the slide is not massive, tougher to manipulate it for malfunctions, etc.

Sig P226 series, and I suppose same for 229 and 220... they are very accurate guns and very low on recoil.  I shot the Sig P226 USPSA edition.  My biggest complaint was the grip, the decocker just gets in the way, and the slide is sooo massive, there is more muzzle flip than necessary and the gun cycles super slow (won't be an issue for 95% of people... just saying why it is not as popular in gun games).  Would I trust my life to one?  Sure... but I have yet to get that urge that screams... "Gee, I regret selling a Sig P226" or "I wish this was more like a Sig P226/229/220"

Beretta 92/M9 is nice accurate gun, I do not currently own one but learned to shoot on one and really like the M9A3 I had a chance to shoot.  I know reliability with that open slide is sometimes an issue and stock triggers can use some improvement... in either case, they do suffer the "small side" issue for manipulation and the grip is a tad large for me.  In either case, I don't believe an M9 does anything better than a CZ75 variant can't do.

I think it also depends on caliber.

With a 9mm, it is small enough that enough weight in the frame can really mitigate the muzzle rise and let the gun cycle faster.

With my 40 s&w... it is a polymer frame SVI, at first I hated it, especially coming from a steel Tanfoglio... then I stopped fighting the recoil and just let the gun cycle and let the recoil work with me and it opened up new opportunities.

So that's my take on it... going to be different for everyone.

But in short, CZ is popular not just because of the weight, but the ultimate package of ergonomics, accuracy, shootability.   

This year though, found the Zev OZ9 and so far, it has enough to make me leave the CZ.  Steel frame, but polymer grip applied to a Glock platform.  Flat shooting but not super heavy.  Here are both side by side.

large.ZevOZ9-9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Zev OZ9

That looks expensive!!! But very nice!  What about magnum research baby desert eagle in 9mm, the only thing I see bad on that is the safety/decocker is on the slide. I had a beretta storm like that years ago and it was not fun racking slide, kind of sharp edges in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not squabble on the WTB, WTS or even "Want Recommendations" threads, pls! It's like your momma used to say: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all!

I cannot believe I have to come on here and write that.  :facepalm:  C'mon! Be your best selves... be gentlemen!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...