Mike Jones

Buying Online w/ MAG restrictions

I haven’t bought online yet, but obviously online retailers that might do business in many states don’t have to deal with the Draconian Gun Laws of the Gulag state of NJ concerning magazine capacity....

how do online retailers deal with us, considering most have 15+1 or more.... do they still allow the purchase just don’t ship any “2A Legal/NJ Illegal” magazines and you have to buy those in state? Or can you have it shipped to an FFL and they can un-Freedom them for us down to 10 rounds, assuming with an extra charge?

I believe I read on here if it has a Flash Hider it can be removed and have a Muzzle break/Compensator pinned/welded on, but can’t remember the magazine issue. 

26 minutes ago, Mike Jones said:

I haven’t bought online yet, but obviously online retailers that might do business in many states don’t have to deal with the Draconian Gun Laws of the Gulag state of NJ concerning magazine capacity....

how do online retailers deal with us, considering most have 15+1 or more.... do they still allow the purchase just don’t ship any “2A Legal/NJ Illegal” magazines and you have to buy those in state? Or can you have it shipped to an FFL and they can un-Freedom them for us down to 10 rounds, assuming with an extra charge?

I believe I read on here if it has a Flash Hider it can be removed and have a Muzzle break/Compensator pinned/welded on, but can’t remember the magazine issue. 

Has to be shipped to ffl. They can pin mag or sell out of state. Same with compliance work.

24 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Has to be shipped to ffl. They can pin mag or sell out of state. Same with compliance work.

Awesome, thanks! I thought someone posted on here somewhere that magazines weren’t able to be done now, or maybe it was “illegal high capacity” mags that were already in NJ committing genocide while locked in citizen’s safes because they held 15+1 that couldn’t be pinned to hold 10 rounds. 

10 minutes ago, Mike Jones said:

Awesome, thanks! I thought someone posted on here somewhere that magazines weren’t able to be done now, or maybe it was “illegal high capacity” mags that were already in NJ committing genocide while locked in citizen’s safes because they held 15+1 that couldn’t be pinned to hold 10 rounds. 

What mags are you looking for that are not available in 10 rounds?

NJ was unique with 15 round limits as for guns like Glock 17, it was either 10 rounds or 17...  Pretty much every hand gun has 10 round magazines available. 

In either case, I would much rather have factory 10 rounders than neutered/modified 10 rounders for various reasons. 

• Agree 2

When buying a gun online:

Some places won't bother sending anything to NJ.  Other places will remove the offending super extra deadly mags from the box (while the price does not change) before shipping to you.  Others will substitute mags for you if available.  Some places will even ship those extremely dangerous 11+ rounders right into NJ, where your FFL must permanently modify them before you can receive them (note that not all FFLs will do this - ask first). 

Remember that buying online will often cost additional "hidden" costs, like shipping and transfer fee, plus any compliance work if needed.

There are a lot of models which are available with 10rd mags from the factory.  Look at the manufacturer's website and see if there are models which ship with 10 rounders, and search that.  Maybe the price will be similar and save you on compliance work, or ask your local FFL if they can get that for you.

17 hours ago, Maksim said:

What mags are you looking for that are not available in 10 rounds?

NJ was unique with 15 round limits as for guns like Glock 17, it was either 10 rounds or 17...  Pretty much every hand gun has 10 round magazines available. 

In either case, I would much rather have factory 10 rounders than neutered/modified 10 rounders for various reasons. 

I was looking online at a Canik, Walther Q5 Match or an H&K VP9. 

The same applies for rifles as well I assume? Those evil 30 rounders for AR’s can be pinned to  a completely docile and safe 10 rounder.... or would it be easier to just buy a 10 round mag to fit an AR, etc?

The only incident I encountered was when buying my Ruger PC9 on line.  The supplier only had them with the 17rd magazine in stock and on sale.  They sent me an email saying they couldn't ship it to NJ because of the magazine.  Rather than go back and forth about it can be shipped to a NJ FFL and the fact I was going to use Glock magazines anyway I told them to ship it without the magazine.  Even if they did ship it with the magazine I just would have told the FFL to keep it.

I agree with what @Maksim said.  I'd rather have factory 10rd mags than neutered higher capacity mags.  My G26 mags work fine in my Ruger.

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

The only incident I encountered was when buying my Ruger PC9 on line.  The supplier only had them with the 17rd magazine in stock and on sale.  They sent me an email saying they couldn't ship it to NJ because of the magazine.  Rather than go back and forth about it can be shipped to a NJ FFL and the fact I was going to use Glock magazines anyway I told them to ship it without the magazine.  Even if they did ship it with the magazine I just would have told the FFL to keep it.

I agree with what @Maksim said.  I'd rather have factory 10rd mags than neutered higher capacity mags.  My G26 mags work fine in my Ruger.

The factory 10rd mags over the neutered ones... reliability reasons? 

7 minutes ago, Mike Jones said:

The factory 10rd mags over the neutered ones... reliability reasons? 

Yes. Not knocking anyone's modifications to cut the capacity to 10 but a factory 10rd magazine will usually be more reliable.

Some magazines can be very expensive and for a few guns out there not made.

• Agree 1

If you are buying a magazine by itself, most of the bigger online retailers (Cabelas, Midway, Brownells, GunMagWarehouse.com, TargetSportsUSA, CheaperThanDirt, etc) are set up to prohibit standard capacity magazines and other items from being shipped to NJ addresses.  If you are purchasing a firearm, some places offer the option to substitute the included standard capacity magazines with 10 rd mags, if available.  Others will simply remove the standard mags and ship the firearm without one.

The NJ State Police is actively making under cover attempts to purchase standard and high capacity magazines online to see which retailers will ship them.  There is a thread on here about a company in Nevada that shipped standard mags to NJ, not knowing it was the police.  They were sent a letter from the Attorney General's Offices informing them that NJ has laws against it and asked them to stop shipping them to NJ addresses.  6 months later, the police were successful in getting 15, 30 and 100 round mags from the same online company so the State is now going to sue them for civil violations.

There is a discussion about it on this thread here

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Yes. Not knocking anyone's modifications to cut the capacity to 10 but a factory 10rd magazine will usually be more reliable.

Some magazines can be very expensive and for a few guns out there not made.

Just as Griz mentioned.

My other reason and likely won't matter for many but does matter a lot to a few is that mags that are modified, have to be "permanently modified,"  as such, many of the neutered mags are blocked, pinned and sealed, meaning you are not going to be able to take your magazines apart of cleaning.

For most shooters this will not be an issue, BUT if you take any training classes or start playing gun games (IDPA, USPSA, Steel, fun shoots), you will be dropping your mags to the ground and they will get dirty and you will need to clean them.

I have yet to see any 10 round mags that off of the top of my head, cannot be opened for cleaning.  Furthermore, it is a "factory 10 round magazine... it says so on the box/packaging."  It is a far better defense than about whether a mag is modified to a good enough legal definition. 

Also for resale, I would be hesitant to purchase modified mags, especially if I do not know who did it and how it was done.   Factory is factory.

• Agree 2