bruceleeon

Can I purchase this legally - complete upper

Ok, first... I want to start this off with I have searched and combed through pages and pages of posts without indications as to whether I can or not. Much of the information I have found is from a few years ago and none of it explicitly states whether "yes" or "no" can be determined. Here is the scenario. I am looking to purchase a complete upper receiver

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-pistol-length-300aac-blackout-1-8-nitride-9-lightweight-m-lok-freedom-upper-with-bcg-ch-516446429.html

and I have a stripped lower but none of the other parts to complete the build. However, I do have another complete rifle in the house on the AR Platform - fully compliant. 

Here are my understandings of the law right now:

1. It must be 26" when complete
  2. It must have a 16" barrel when it is a "rifle"
  3. Must be pinned and welded
  4. There is a 50oz regulation for completed firearm

Thank you in advance for your guidance

It will be illegal until you complete it. 

It IS a part that can be used to make a rifle into an "assualt rifle", or an NFA SBR.

Once completed it should be gtg as it is no longer a part. 

Are you attempting to make a pistol or Non NfA firearm?

If you put any kind of stock on it it doesn't make a difference how much longer than 26" it has a barrel under 16" so you've built a short barreled rifle.  That puts you in violation of NJ and Federal law.  Even if you were to "try it out" on the AR rifle lower you have you'd be in violation of the law on both levels.

I don't think you'd get that upper down to 50 ounces to be a pistol.

If you're talking about building an AR version of the Shockwave which is classed as a "firearm", not a rifle and not a handgun there is a manufacturer trying to get that question answered now.

1 minute ago, bruceleeon said:

You need to pin and weld a muzzle break on it, but other wise yes. 

1 minute ago, GRIZ said:

If you put any kind of stock on it it doesn't make a difference how much longer than 26" it has a barrel under 16" so you've built a short barreled rifle.  That puts you in violation of NJ and Federal law.  Even if you were to "try it out" on the AR rifle lower you have you'd be in violation of the law on both levels.

I don't think you'd get that upper down to 50 ounces to be a pistol.

If you're talking about building an AR version of the Shockwave which is classed as a "firearm", not a rifle and not a handgun there is a manufacturer trying to get that question answered now.

Yeah, im not about to start advising people to build non-NFA firearms, if they can figure out the law and find the posted documents on here and read through our threads then they can make their own decision about it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

You need to pin and weld a muzzle break on it, but other wise yes. 

Yeah, im not about to start advising people to build non-NFA firearms, if they can figure out the law and find the posted documents on here and read through our threads then they can make their own decision about it. 

10.5" barrel he's making a SBR if he puts a stock on it.  Most likely too heavy to become a pistol.  Either way he can get jammed up by state or Feds or both.

As far as creating a "firearm" like the Shockwave or TAC14 I'll let the manufacturers hash that out as far as legality.  Trying to find a way to skirt around the law without an army of lawyers will usually wind up with you afoul of the law.

Edited by GRIZ
  • Agree 1