onnha

Help with NJ ammo laws please.

Hello- I purchased a 9mm pistol for home defense in 2016. And purchased 9mm JHP rounds from both Cabelas and Midwest.  Both were sent to me by mail. So I read confusing accounts as to just what is legal or illegal for civilians in NJ to own.  Are my 9mm JHP's legal or not and are there exceptions?  I'd hate to think I purchased rounds that are illegal here to own.  Thanks for your advice.  And if this topic has been discussed I apologize.

Legal in your home.  Legal to take directly to range. Legal to take from point of purchase to your home.

Do not drive around with them.

As other has said treat their transport like you would a handgun.

Edit: well i guess i just paraphrased Zeke.  How embarrasing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1

I read the NJSP link and it specifically mentions that they can be used for practice and hunting:

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1. A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
  2. A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
  3. A person going directly to a target range, and;
  4. A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

It does not mention self defense situations within your home.  Would use of HP be considered lawful if used in a self defense scenario in NJ?  Thanks

1 hour ago, skibum2 said:

I read the NJSP link and it specifically mentions that they can be used for practice and hunting:

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1. A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
  2. A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
  3. A person going directly to a target range, and;
  4. A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

It does not mention self defense situations within your home.  Would use of HP be considered lawful if used in a self defense scenario in NJ?  Thanks

You improperly quoted the law. You referenced the transportation portion. Nothing prevents you from using HPs in self defense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, PK90 said:

You improperly quoted the law. You referenced the transportation portion. Nothing prevents you from using HPs in self defense.

Now USING A GUN IN SELF DEFENSE here in the PRNJ - well that's another story. The government would like to make it a Capital crime.

:FLIPA:

Terribly written and senseless law. First it says it's a class 4 felony to possess them, then has exemptions for having them in your home or transporting them for sportsmen activities. So essentially the law only applies to the five people in the state with CCW permits. It is also silent on the use of the ammunition for home defense.

2. N.J.S.2C:39-3 is amended to read as follows:   

Prohibited weapons and devices.  2C:39-3.  Prohibited Weapons and Devices. 

f. Dum-dum or armor piercing ammunition.  (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:396, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, ..., is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.  

g. Exceptions.  … (2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land,  ...