Melgamatic

Gene Salomon's

Took a trip to Gene Salomon's this past Sunday. They have strange hours, and the only time they're open on the weekend is sometime on Sundays. They're on Yellowbrook Rd in Farmingdale, but I don't know the phone number and they'll be the last place on earth to get a website.

This place is a fascinating place. It is small, like the Bullet Hole, except that the entire middle part of what would be the open part of the store is full of a giant pile of crap. I'm talking a clothing display with 15 pairs of bell bottom bluejeans with 20+ years of dust, a few ratty coats from the 1940's, etc. The store is dark, lighted by perhaps 3 20 year old 20 watt flourescent bulbs. They don't take credit cards, don't give receipts, and add up your order on piles of scrap paper. It is musty and dusty.

They have around 12 old sad looking rifles and shotguns on one wall, all used I think, and around 6 handguns (there were more last time I was there).

On the other hand, they actually have reloading supplies, primers, bullets, powder, etc. They seem to have ammo as well. We bought a bunch of Hornaday bullets at very good price for reloading last time, and they've had the powder we needed. They were out of IMR4895 on Sunday (or almost out), but they seem to be getting more in stock. On the other hand, if you ask for powder one of the guys disappears for 15 minutes to get it and find out if they have it in stock (I'm not exaggerating on the time). They have a good selection of dies, lead balls, etc.

So, GOOD ==> bullets and powder for reloading in stock. BAD ==> the dirtiest, murkiest store you've ever been in. I'm not kidding you when I tell you that 30 minutes with a trash can and a vacuum would change this place drastically, but I think the old guys running the place don't care. They seem to be doing a great business in the few hours a week they're open. I've also heard they'll order the guns you want and charge a reasonable price, but I have no direct experience.

They also seem to run some kind of trap shotgun league in the field out front. There were a lot of guys shooting when I was there, and seeing the fancy cars (two Porsche's, etc) parked in front of the rotting cement block bunker that is Salomon's makes me laugh.

-Melgamatic

It is a great place. The odd hours keep his overhead/prices down. He does have everything you need. There are some used guns in the rack, but he has new in the back, just ask.

The shotgun league is the Howell Trap Club.

Yeah there is some dust buildup on the shelves.

I have been going there for about 15 yrs. I don't know what I will do if he ever sells.

They stock pretty much all brands of powder manufacturer (except VihtaVouri) in most of the various size canisters and their prices are really good in the short time that i've been buying supplies. I could care less about the dust and the spitoon that Gene keeps on the floor so long as he keeps stuff in stock at good prices.

Tim - can you give us the hours here??

Mon-Wed & Fri 6:30 PM to 9:00

Sun 1:00PM-4:00PM

142 Yellowbrook Road, Farmingdale, NJ 07727

732-938-2189

Never been there during the week, but i know the sunday hours are good as thats when i go.

Mon-Wed & Fri 6:30 PM to 9:00

Sun 1:00PM-4:00PM

142 Yellowbrook Road, Farmingdale, NJ 07727

732-938-2189

Never been there during the week, but i know the sunday hours are good as thats when i go.

All correct except no on Monday

I have been going to Gene's since 1994. There is a threat to the Trap group by a developer across the street, but nothing seems to be happening. Gene can get almost anything you ask for, even if he doesn't have it, which is rare, except for specific guns. His prices are usually excellent. He took the time to help me set up my first reloading rig. Worth a trip in spite of odd hours. Easiest way to get there it Yellowbank off of Rt. 33. He is on the left just south of the powerline.

I have been going to Gene's since 1994. There is a threat to the Trap group by a developer across the street, but nothing seems to be happening. Gene can get almost anything you ask for, even if he doesn't have it, which is rare, except for specific guns. His prices are usually excellent. He took the time to help me set up my first reloading rig. Worth a trip in spite of odd hours. Easiest way to get there it Yellowbank off of Rt. 33. He is on the left just south of the powerline.

Yellowbrook not yellowbank. Might want to grab a dustmask before you go in there but otherwise I love the place.

I have done several transfers through that shop, and was able to come over on my lunch break once simply by calling and asking. Everyone there is pleasant, including the cat. Helped a Judge bring his purchases out to his car one night, discussed his possible purchase of a G22. Nice customers there as well.

It would be appreciated if it was cleaner and had more room, but it is much better than a place that is no longer there!

I doubt they would mind if you came in with a dust-buster and started cleaning while waiting your turn!

So, GOOD ==> bullets and powder for reloading in stock. BAD ==> the dirtiest, murkiest store you've ever been in. I'm not kidding you when I tell you that 30 minutes with a trash can and a vacuum would change this place drastically, but I think the old guys running the place don't care. They seem to be doing a great business in the few hours a week they're open. I've also heard they'll order the guns you want and charge a reasonable price, but I have no direct experience.

They also seem to run some kind of trap shotgun league in the field out front. There were a lot of guys shooting when I was there, and seeing the fancy cars (two Porsche's, etc) parked in front of the rotting cement block bunker that is Salomon's makes me laugh.

-Melgamatic

Man your an optimist. I'm not sure 30 minutes with a trash can and a vacuum would make a whit of difference to the pile of very popular gear in the middle of the store.

Man, I've been going to Gene's with my dad since I was just a little guy. He's been old for as long as I can remember, the store smells exactly the same and I think the center rack is the same shit I remember since I have memories of going there. 

I haven't bought anything here yet but the fact that my dad has been going to Gene for as long as I remember must mean something.