Dr.Jimmy Rustler

Troy A4 12.5 "Other"

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

In my readings, 10.5 on a carbine gas system can have issues... 11.5 and up seems to be fine. 

I think your confusing the pistol length gas system. The carbine length is fine. It will run a long time with the caveat that it will beat the crap out of your components. A MK18 used to have a port hole of about .080. Mine is .76. It will be fine. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blacksmythe said:

I think your confusing the pistol length gas system. The carbine length is fine. It will run a long time with the caveat that it will beat the crap out of your components. A MK18 used to have a port hole of about .080. Mine is .76. It will be fine. 

Pistol length would increase the dwell time for a 10.5 vs carbine...

I belive you need to be careful here and do your homework on Port sizes, a lot of companies open them way up to get reliable cycling 

39 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I belive you need to be careful here and do your homework on Port sizes, a lot of companies open them way up to get reliable cycling 

Ill keep you posted. So far so good. I look forward to running the dog crap out of it.

11.75" barrels come in mid-length gas. If you have an 11.5" barrel already it might be cheaper to put an A5 buffer system on instead of a barrel swap. I still want to do a second measure on a setup with an 11.5" barrel. It's probably very close though...

Duh yeah - Wasn't thinking - was at work and just tossed out the number.... but yeah 7.5" difference.... 

And with the brace in position 3 it would be an extra couple inches so what, 5" diff?  Still good to me though... 

I used to be in the "oh it's only a couple inches" camp.. but then after researching and discussing and shooting.... I do want one... lol.

I want one too. But I’m not fooling myself thinking I’m saving 9.5” or 7.5” off my typical favorite carbine configuration.

I’m going from a 14.5” barrel + muzzle device and a fixed stock to an 11.75” barrel + muzzle device and the ability to collapse a brace.

I’m cutting 2.75” and retaining an ability taken for granted in free America. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I already have a 16” barreled MSAR (AUG copy) that is shorter overall than my issued 11.5” Colt R0933 Commando. If you are really looking for an SBR substitute with minimal OAL without running afoul of tricky NFA or NJ laws - a bull pup is a solid option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

11.75" barrels come in mid-length gas. If you have an 11.5" barrel already it might be cheaper to put an A5 buffer system on instead of a barrel swap. I still want to do a second measure on a setup with an 11.5" barrel. It's probably very close though...

I’ll be doing the A5 buffer with 11.5” barrel. I’ve heard a lot of good things about this setup in the AR pistol and SBR threads on Arfcom

Does anyone happen to know whether you can change the muzzle device out to a different hider/comp without causing a problems for your self?

What i would really like to see is just a basic 14.5 rifle AOW without having to use a brake, pinned stock and keep my bayo lug

I would die happy

2 minutes ago, SMT85 said:

Does anyone happen to know whether you can change the muzzle device out to a different hider/comp without causing a problems for your self?

If it’s one of these “non NFA Other weapons”. You can absolutely swap muzzle device, flash hider comp etc as the weapon itself isn’t a rifle and isn’t subject to the “evil feature” clauses. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

If it’s one of these “non NFA Other weapons”. You can absolutely swap muzzle device, flash hider comp etc as the weapon itself isn’t a rifle and isn’t subject to the “evil feature” clauses. 

Thank you for the response, would changing muzzle devices on the Troy rifle make the SP letter no longer relevant or would it still apply  being its not changing any of the things that keeps it "OTHER"?

4 minutes ago, SMT85 said:

Thank you for the response, would changing muzzle devices on the Troy rifle make the SP letter no longer relevant or would it still apply  being its not changing any of the things that keeps it "OTHER"?

As long as you dont put a stock on (prevents it from being a rifle), keep the VFG (meant for 2 handed shooting thus not a pistol), and has an overall length of 26" or greater (not an AOW), you are free to change out what you want

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

As long as you dont put a stock on (prevents it from being a rifle), keep the VFG (meant for 2 handed shooting thus not a pistol), and has an overall length of 26" or greater (not an AOW), you are free to change out what you want

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:49 PM, Blacksmythe said:

Ill keep you posted. So far so good. I look forward to running the dog crap out of it.

So far so good. I’m 359 rounds into this build. No malfunctioning. Smooth as butter.  I shot m855, m193, and black hills 75 grain. It really liked the black hills Carbine length system, A5 buffer system, milspec bolt, pinned 10.5 1x7 government profile barrel, low profile gas block and a warcomp right hand timed. Thumbs ups. I’ll do another 900 this week. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Blacksmythe said:

So far so good. I’m 359 rounds into this build. No malfunctioning. Smooth as butter.  I shot m855, m193, and black hills 75 grain. It really liked the black hills Carbine length system, A5 buffer system, milspec bolt, pinned 10.5 1x7 government profile barrel, low profile gas block and a warcomp right hand timed. Thumbs ups. I’ll do another 900 this week. 

Thats a solid build. How do you like the warcomp? 

8 minutes ago, Blacksmythe said:

did the A5 make a noticeable difference? 

10 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

Thats a solid build. How do you like the warcomp? 

I like it. No crazy gassing no real crazy daylight fireballs until i use the warden. I hope to use it with my night vision when I go on vacation next month. 

8 minutes ago, GramGun79 said:

did the A5 make a noticeable difference? 

I have only shot it with the A5. So I can’t say. Only changes ahead for giggles will be a m16 bolt. I want to see how it will change the impulse. 

On 8/25/2019 at 6:28 PM, PK90 said:

Keep your brace for interstate travel. You can go back and forth from Title I to Title II without issue.

I will be Form 1ing all my pistols, then over time replacing the braces with stocks, but will keep the braces just in case.

Paul, are you sure of this? 2 local ffl's said you cannot bounce between 1 and 2. 

26 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Paul, are you sure of this? 2 local ffl's said you cannot bounce between 1 and 2. 

100%

Once the stock is off, it is no longer a rifle.

I will look for the documentation in between dips in the pool.

ETA: Not proof, but https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Making-a-SBR-go-away/17-502009/

I'll keep looking.

Thanks, this info is helpful. As I interpret what you posted, it would seem to me that its not worth it to go SBR until said time you have to. The point in being able to go back and forth would be to travel out of state. But based on your posts, it is indeed still subject to NFA even with the brace back on. So it probably makes the most sense to SBR an alternate lower.

3 hours ago, Shane45 said:

But based on your posts, it is indeed still subject to NFA even with the brace back on.

If you refer to "retains control", I believe that control is not retained when the stock is left behind in the registered state and you only have possession of a brace in the traveled state.

14 minutes ago, Borris01 said:

I apologize for I guess a silly question. Can you swap out the SBA3 brace for an SBa4 on the Troy A4 "other" ?

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sba4/

Thanks.

So your question is can you swap a pistol brace for a pistol brace? I’m not a lawyer but I’m going to say yes. Why not? It’s a brace for a brace on the atf list of braces.  Mmmm yummy6B859DE4-E1C4-4A52-A7B3-1965B6CA8616.thumb.jpeg.e8dca4abb8812d0a1956c7a21b8d9811.jpeg

On 8/26/2019 at 7:09 PM, JackDaWack said:

Round count is now 1295. I’m using a different bolt. Feels good it’s still chugging along. All rounds were m855. The new bolt is a palmetto lol wish me luck. 

EF54A22F-16CB-43E8-926C-A37B3657FC0F.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Borris01 said:

Thanks ! Just a follow-up question. Can the fore grip be swapped out for a slightly angled one ( like a BCM ) ? 

I wouldn’t mess with that. Keep it simple for the drones