voyager9

Sell or Repair Jeep

I have a ‘09 Jeep Grand Cherokee. About 107k miles.  Had the transmission rebuilt about two years ago. Just had to get the clock spring replaced. While there they looked at a whine i was experiencing and said the transfer case was probably on its way out. Rough cost to repair that: ~$2500. 

My wife thinks I should sell it and get a new car (prob another Jeep). Her thinking is that it may be the beginning of the end and the resale value is probably going to fall. Rather than continuing to sink money into it we would be better off with something new. 

My thought is I don’t want another car payment since we are still paying the lease on her van. 

Thoughts?

there is no resale value there so judge it based on current cost plus expected repair vs a new vehicle.  New vehicle almost always loses really however, reliability matters.

I have an 05 cherokee the kids simply will not let me sell do I do this exercise all the time.  Daddy is about to buy a 69 fastback cause I'm gettin something!   lol

35 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

there is no resale value there so judge it based on current cost plus expected repair vs a new vehicle. 

There isn’t much, agreed. If you believe KBB it’s around $5400 trade in and $8k selling it direct.  So it comes down to dropping $3k now.. and potentially increasingly more down the road and ultimately not get anything for trade in. Or cut bait, sell now and use $5-8k as a down payment for something new. 

33 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I was debating Jeep or 4Runner, but everything I’ve read puts the Jeep ahead. Not sure if there are others that are comparable. 

Sad to say but the Toyota will likely last longer with less repairs. 

My DD is a Toyota because I can always depend on it to start and get me to work. Ill never ge rid of my wrangler though. However I do most of the wrenching on It myself 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Handyman said:

107k and it needs all that work? 

That's either a piece of junk or your beating it like a rented mule. 

I don’t think I beat it, but it’s my DD since anything with the family needs the van. 

41 minutes ago, Handyman said:

107k and it needs all that work? 

That's either a piece of junk or your beating it like a rented mule.

It's a Jeep, once they hit 100K, they all turn to crap and need major repairs...

58 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I was debating Jeep or 4Runner, but everything I’ve read puts the Jeep ahead. Not sure if there are others that are comparable. 

Really?? Going from bad to worse...

Get a Honda, you'll be happy you did!

• Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Sad to say but the Toyota will likely last longer with less repairs. 

My DD is a Toyota because I can always depend on it to start and get me to work. Ill never ge rid of my wrangler though. However I do most of the wrenching on It myself 

A buddy has had a 4Runner forever. And while it’s still going he said it felt like driving a beater from the day he drove it off the lot.  Also looks like they’re priced higher than the Jeep. 

11 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

A buddy has had a 4Runner forever. And while it’s still going he said it felt like driving a beater from the day he drove it off the lot.  Also looks like they’re priced higher than the Jeep. 

Toyotas are definatly more expensive up front than the jeep but if you plan on Keeping it 10 years or more it will be cheaper in the long run. I'd love one of the new 4runners but could not afford it so I went with the 2019 rav4 for my wife. My DD is an 02 sequoia with 120k it, other than needing to replace an o2 sensor and a rear hatch handle it's been great

25 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Ugh... anyone try the Kia Telluride?

My buddy has a Kia and loves it but has has a few electrical issues 

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Your chart doesn't break it out by vehicle model....

so, fail.....

You said Honda you never mentioned a model.

So fail.........

I mean this in the most respectful way, as I do not know your situation, but I will offer up my opinion.

Do you really need an SUV or truck?

A LOT of people I know insist on driving F150s or Jeeps or Tahoes..BIG ASS trucks.... to drive to work and the store, while getting 15 mpg. They will never go off road or tow. I think a lot of people have been convinced by the auto industry that they need a truck for daily life. 

If you are an off-roader or tow something bigger than a utility trailer, then absolutely, you need a SUV or pickup. I do none of those things. I drive 30,000 miles a year on paved roads and I drive Toyotas. I was a Honda guy, but I think Toyota now makes a superior product. I will also never buy a new car again. There are too many great 3-year-old off-lease cars out there.

I gave my son a 3rd-hand me down 2010 Scion Xb (Gen2 Xb was a Toyota Camry with a funky body) with 210k on the odo. Not 1 thing, ever, broke on that car. I am currently in a 2010 Toyota Avalon due to the comfort, the 30 mpg and the reliability. 

A gently used 6-8 year old Toyota anything should last you many, many years.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Bully said:

I spell JEEP:

Subaru...  

I had a truck.  Other than the very occasional occasions, I don't miss it.  And, I get twice the mileage.  I just figured I'd be "that guy."  Good luck.

My parents owned nothing but Subaru’s.  I can’t say much bad about them. They just don’t have a model equivalent to the grand cherokee. 

25 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

My parents owned nothing but Subaru’s.  I can’t say much bad about them. They just don’t have a model equivalent to the grand cherokee. 

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/ascent/index.html

It's a good sized truck.  Wifey has an Outback.  It's plenty with us and the two teenagers that live with us.  

However if you need a Jeep, get a Jeep.  

3 hours ago, Bully said:

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/ascent/index.html

It's a good sized truck.  Wifey has an Outback.  It's plenty with us and the two teenagers that live with us.  

However if you need a Jeep, get a Jeep.  

Thanks for the info. When I bought my current Jeep I looked at the forester, but didn’t like it much.  Maybe the Ascent is better. 

6 hours ago, Bully said:

I spell JEEP:

Subaru...  

I had a truck.  Other than the very occasional occasions, I don't miss it.  And, I get twice the mileage.  I just figured I'd be "that guy."  Good luck.

Sorry, but I dont see a Subaru being much more reliable than a Jeep.

Going thru a similar debate with myself right now.  Do I fix my 1999 F250, run it for awhile, or trade?  The torque converter lock-up isnt want its supposed to be, and the slippage puts the trans in limp mode.  Between a new converter and a rebuilt trans (its shifting ok, but has been making weird noises for years) the cost is north of $2500.

The truck runs fine and has little rust..but its still a 20 year old F250

11 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Going thru a similar debate with myself right now.  Do I fix my 1999 F250, run it for awhile, or trade?  The torque converter lock-up isnt want its supposed to be, and the slippage puts the trans in limp mode.  Between a new converter and a rebuilt trans (its shifting ok, but has been making weird noises for years) the cost is north of $2500.

The truck runs fine and has little rust..but its still a 20 year old F250

Wanna buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee?  It’s half as old as your F250. :)