voyager9

Sell or Repair Jeep

4 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Wanna buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee?  It’s half as old as your F250. :)

A Cherokee?  yes,  A mopar-designed psuedo-jeep?  no

4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Is this better?
03?config=M:YK3F7KKNW$EC:NH-797M$HC:unde

It seems that the OP is looking for an SUV not a pickup. 

The ridgeline has actually evolved into a pretty decent vehicle but it's still not going to outlast a Tacoma. 

5 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Is this better?

It's worse. That thing is butt ass ugly. It looks like a newer version of a Subaru Brat. If I showed up with my dirt bike in the back of that thing, I'd be laughed out of the forest and asked to leave. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, carl_g said:

It's worse. That thing is butt ass ugly. It looks like a newer version of a Subaru Brat. If I showed up with my dirt bike in the back of that thing, I'd be laughed out of the forest and asked to leave. 

Ya um dude... that’s not a truck.

prolly use a hitch ramp or a trailer.:facepalm:

11 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I have a 2017 Ridgeline. I chose it after narrowing it down to the Honda and a Tacoma.

The Ridgeline rides better, has much more room inside, and has way more storage space.

I had a 2007 Ridgeline prior that, it gave me zero issues.

They are great little trucks.

Hondacamino

22 minutes ago, Zeke said:

prolly use a hitch ramp or a trailer.:facepalm:

Hondacamino

Agreed, trucks have full frames. 

Elcaminos have a full frame and are awsome! 

The ridgeline is better than a Subaru baha 

21 minutes ago, Zeke said:

35 minutes ago, fishnut said:

It seems that the OP is looking for an SUV not a pickup. 

It actually IS a SUV, just with an open rear. Built on a SUV chassis. When inside, there's no way you can tell it's a pickup.

38 minutes ago, fishnut said:

The ridgeline has actually evolved into a pretty decent vehicle but it's still not going to outlast a Tacoma. 

https://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline/compare/ridgeline-vs-tacoma

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Is this better?

Looks like a pilot had a bad Botox treatment. 

I had a Ranger before getting the Jeep. Loved that truck. Until the dogs set off a fire extinguisher in the back seat.  Also really like the Tacoma. Unfortunately with the family the SUV is a better fit. 

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

It actually IS a SUV, just with an open rear. Built on a SUV chassis. When inside, there's no way you can tell it's a pickup.

https://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline/compare/ridgeline-vs-tacoma

First. it is not build on any chassis it's a unibody. 

Second, both of the OPs choices have 3rd row seats and the ridgeline has pickup bed on it instead of interior cargo area. 

Third the options that the ridgeline touts as being superior to the tacoma in your like to honda.com are nothing special. I've never heard someone say they really want a dual action tailgate before. I see honda did not mention payload or towing capacity. Probably because the Tacoma destroys the ridgeline in both categories.

Like I said before the ridgeline has turned into a pretty good vehicle. The only vehicle to compare it to is the Subaru baja and the ridgeline is way better in every way than the baja. But it's no Tacoma and will not last as long as a Tacoma when used under the same conditions especially when towing, hauling heavy loads. 

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Unfortunately with the family the SUV is a better fit. 

It's a Pilot without the rear hatch. Seats the same number of people as a Cherokee. Actually, probably has more interior room. Not to mention the in bed trunk and the dual swing tailgate (which I think is the BEST feature).

1 hour ago, sota said:

that's not a truck;

Number ONE rated mid sized pickup by Car and Driver...

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a25603385/10best-trucks-suvs-2019/#10bestts2019honda

1 minute ago, fishnut said:

First. it is not build on any chassis it's a unibody. 

Shares the same as the Pilot and MDX, which are both SUV's

2 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I've never heard someone say they really want a dual action tailgate before.

Gee, that's funny, because every time I'm loading up my Ridgeline at Home Depot or Lowes, people stop and go wow, look at that tailgate... and if you've never experienced it, you don't know what you're missing!!!

5 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I see honda did not mention payload or towing capacity. Probably because the Tacoma destroys the ridgeline in both categories. 

The OP wants a family vehicle, not one to take in the woods and pull down trees, or bring supplies to the construction site, so those points are useless. The Ridgeline blows the Tacoma away on comfort, ride, finish, interior, etc.

16 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Second, both of the OPs choices have 3rd row seats and the ridgeline has pickup bed on it instead of interior cargo area. 

Really, the Cherokee comes with a third row of seat? Where do they mount it, on the roof rack?

and the Forerunner only has it in the special edition version, not on the standard version.

The Ridgeline has BOTH, bed storage (which can take a cap or bed cover) AND a trunk, so it actually can carry MORE cargo.

So third row isn’t necessary.  Any situation that we would need it we will be taking the wife’s van (Pacifica). 

The wife actually suggested wrangler today so apparently my assumptions on what we need may be incorrect and the aperture may be open wider than I thought.  

35 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Really, the Cherokee comes with a third row of seat? Where do they mount it, on the roof rack?

and the Forerunner only has it in the special edition version, not on the standard version.

The Ridgeline has BOTH, bed storage (which can take a cap or bed cover) AND a trunk, so it actually can carry MORE cargo.

Didn't realize that they didn't put a 3rd row back in the GC as they announced last year. Ok so you got me on that one they have equal passenger capacity

Toyota is still more reliable than Honda

27 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Toyota is still more reliable than Honda

Not according to Consumer Reports.... and the Tacoma only got a average rating...

......" Five of the 15 Toyota models rated by the magazine received the highest possible grade. Only one, the Toyota Tacoma, received an average rating. "

The tradeoff – reliability for performance – is one that Toyota refused to make, Fisher said. For the most part, it introduced new concepts in conservative fashion, first dipping a toe in the water before offering any new high-tech feature across the board. The upshot, however, was less-than-stellar scores on the magazine’s test track. As a company, its average score on the track was 68, placing it in the bottom third of all automakers. Honda, meanwhile, received a 76 – a mid-level score.

To be sure, Honda did better than many manufacturers in its reliability scores. In contrast, Toyota has maintained its focus on reliability, even when it meant sacrificing in other areas. Its score of 68 on the test track placed it behind, not only Honda, but also Chrysler (85), Buick (75), Dodge (74), Chevy (73), Ford (72), and Nissan (69), among others. "

https://www.designnews.com/electronics-test/toyota-continues-reliability-dominance-honda-declines/158171123260385

32 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I don’t think you captured the subject of the Article accurately. 

In the magazine’s 2019 reliability study, released last week in its annual auto issue, Toyota maintained its reputation for high reliability, while Honda continued a multi-year slide.

And while the Tacoma only got a fair, the Ridgeline was not specifically mentioned.  One could assume it’s below the Tacoma based on company rankings though. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I don’t think you captured the subject of the Article accurately. 

Which is better in the study, a 68 or 76?

15 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

And while the Tacoma only got a fair, the Ridgeline was not specifically mentioned.  One could assume it’s below the Tacoma based on company rankings though. 

You know what happens when you ASSume, right?

What's dragging down Honda currently is the Odyssey has turned to crap. Go back up to my previous posts, the Ridgeline was named number one by Car and Driver for mid sized pickups (for the third year). The Tacoma was number 5.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15378489/best-midsize-trucks/?slide=2

Tacoma number 3 in this list:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-pickup-trucks

57 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Not according to Consumer Reports.... and the Tacoma only got a average rating...

......" Five of the 15 Toyota models rated by the magazine received the highest possible grade. Only one, the Toyota Tacoma, received an average rating. "

The tradeoff – reliability for performance – is one that Toyota refused to make, Fisher said. For the most part, it introduced new concepts in conservative fashion, first dipping a toe in the water before offering any new high-tech feature across the board. The upshot, however, was less-than-stellar scores on the magazine’s test track. As a company, its average score on the track was 68, placing it in the bottom third of all automakers. Honda, meanwhile, received a 76 – a mid-level score.

To be sure, Honda did better than many manufacturers in its reliability scores. In contrast, Toyota has maintained its focus on reliability, even when it meant sacrificing in other areas. Its score of 68 on the test track placed it behind, not only Honda, but also Chrysler (85), Buick (75), Dodge (74), Chevy (73), Ford (72), and Nissan (69), among others. "

https://www.designnews.com/electronics-test/toyota-continues-reliability-dominance-honda-declines/158171123260385

Toyota makes more models than just the Tacoma 

37 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Which is better in the study, a 68 or 76?

You know what happens when you ASSume, right?

What's dragging down Honda currently is the Odyssey has turned to crap. Go back up to my previous posts, the Ridgeline was named number one by Car and Driver for mid sized pickups (for the third year). The Tacoma was number 5.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15378489/best-midsize-trucks/?slide=2

Tacoma number 3 in this list:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-pickup-trucks

Fair enough.  Does that also include reading the link you posted?

But the company’s across-the-board grades were not what they were a decade ago, Fisher said. “It’s not just the Odyssey,” he told us. “We’ve seen issues with a lot of their vehicles, both Honda and Acura, in electronics and even transmissions. They seem to have taken their eye off the ball in terms of reliability.”

That said, if I end up in the buy-camp and can consider pickups I’ll include the Ridgeline on the list.   If only so I can be more like HE. Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Fair enough.  Does that also include reading the link you posted?

That said, if I end up in the buy-camp and can consider pickups I’ll include the Ridgeline on the list.   If only so I can be more like HE. Thanks for the info. 

@High Exposure is the man! He gets a pass on his fruck 

I have a Honda Pilot - drives extremely well - good power, very comfortable.

The re-released Honda Passport is a slightly smaller version of the Pilot - no 3rd row seating.

All Toyotas have the Toyota Safety Sense stuff now - which is a nice addition.  Plus you can haggle a bit with Toyotas.  Hondas not as much.

I recommend trying Costco Auto if you have a Costco membership - No haggle price.  Lower than MSRP and probably the cheapest you can get it.