So I looked into an Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine. No bayonet lug, no pistol grip, and it's CA legal. Salesman in my local gun shop laughed at me when I said I wanted to order one. If it doesn't look like a duck, and it doesn't quack like a duck, then why is it an assault rifle??

It isn't. The "US Carbine" is not on the named list. Where the confusion is, is that "M1 Carbine Type" is on the list. If the bayonet lug is removed, the possession would be legal according to the NJAG Directive. You would probably would win in court, BUT, are you willing to be the test case?

A few years back there was a case involving the possession of a M-1 carbine. I don't think the CMP will ship one into NJ and it is listed on the prohibited list. The standard stock isn't considered to have a pistol grip but the state still banned it. Too bad since 15 round magazines are easy to get.

What I find really odd is that the M1A (modified) is permitted and yet the M-1 Carbine is not??? Very strange logic.

The CMP doesn't give a hoot about NJ laws. And yes they will ship you a M1 Carbine.

I beg to differ mauser. CMP requires you to send a copy of your NJ FID before you buy any rifles. The decision was made not to sell M1 carbines to NJ residents after much discussion on the forum when they annouced they were going to sell them. You would need the "Assault Weapon Permit" which I don't think anyone has in NJ. So even if CMP would sell them to NJ residents you'd be in for some serious trobule if you got one. The only legal M1 carbines in people's hands in NJ were those that were registered before NJ's AWB went into effect.

It doesn't make a difference with or without pistol grip any "M1 carbine type" is illegal in NJ (other than those mentioned above). Legal in CA but you can only have 10rd magazines. You can legally own the 15 rd magazine in NJ but not the gun.

What I find really odd is that the M1A (modified) is permitted and yet the M-1 Carbine is not??? Very strange logic.

Most restrictive gun laws are written by people who know nothing about guns. It's like you and I writing laws for brain surgery.

It isn't. The "US Carbine" is not on the named list. Where the confusion is, is that "M1 Carbine Type" is on the list. If the bayonet lug is removed, the possession would be legal according to the NJAG Directive. You would probably would win in court, BUT, are you willing to be the test case?

So it does not say "M1 carbine" but, "US Carbine" then it should be ok?? Dealers order copies of the AK,M16,AR15, etc that are not illegal cause of the name on the reciever only. So what is the story with the M1 carbine copy? I guess anyone with a XM15,SAR 1-3,Wasr 10,etc should have the same fear of being a test case...

I checked with the Chief Operating Officer of CMP and his response was not to New Jersey and can be found here http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.as ... 57񥿃.

The law states "M1 carbine type". That covers all "types" of M1 carbine. See Title 13 chapter 54 here.

http://njsp.org/about/fire_ag2.html

The NJ AG has also the "substantially identical" guidelines. You can read those at the same link Removing the bayonet lug would not even be needed if "M1 carbine type" were not listed in the law. This is the same as there is nothing you can do to a Steyr AUG to make it legal in NJ.

FFLs I've talked to have told me they could order any kind of M1 carbine as long as it was being transferred to a LE agency. I have also heard of a dealer who ordered AO carbines and sold them until the NJSP found out. They were all returned and no charges were filed.

When NJ passed their AWB there were only a small number (a few hundred) that were registered. I guarantee there were more than few hundred out there.

The way to argue this law would be the comment made by the Supreme Court in Heller about the right to have firearms "in common usage". However, if AWBs in other states were overturned I'm sure NJ would put up a big fight in the courtroom. After all they'd be fighting it with our money not their's.

A subsequent post by the Chief Operating Officer says "CMP will not ship a M1 Carbine to NJ". Based on this CMP will sell you one at the store or ship it to you at an out of state address but not to NJ. Bringing it in to NJ will create problems for you.