galapoola

Cheeseman's Challenge to NJ’s May Issue filed with SCOTUS

1 hour ago, galapoola said:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/06/challenge-to-njs-may-issue-handgun-rule-filled-with-supreme-court/#axzz5sMyFNxD2

Another filing apparently straight to SCOTUS.
Looks like they skipped right over Federal district and appeals courts.
This dropped last week and was reported on 6/30 by Ammoland.

This case was denied review by NJ Supreme Court.  I thought the appeals path in those types of cases went to SCOTUS. Since it’s not a federal case it doesn’t go through the lower federal courts.  I could be wrong though. 

3 hours ago, voyager9 said:

This case was denied review by NJ Supreme Court.  I thought the appeals path in those types of cases went to SCOTUS. Since it’s not a federal case it doesn’t go through the lower federal courts.  I could be wrong though. 

Once the NJ Supreme Court is done, then there is nothing left to do in their courts. SCOTUS has no obligation to review a state case nor do they monitor them for review. The plaintiff or defendants have to file with SCOTUS. Regardless of whether this went to NJ courts or not, anyone can go straight to the federal courts so long as you pay the fee and file your complaint.  What I found interesting is that they did not file with the lowest federal court, the district court. You have to make your case with SCOTUS why you are forgoing that and they may throw it back to the district or accept.

14 hours ago, revenger said:

is this a new one.   can't follow anymore which case is which?

This is the one that has been "Distributed for Conference" as of 5/23/2019 and that's all we know

Thomas Rogers, et al., Petitioners v. Gurbir Grewal, Attorney General of New Jersey, et al.

This Cheeseman filing is new to SCOTUS, not sure if he's filed before under a different petition. The bottom line is that the NYC case will be heard no date set for oral argumants, the Rogers petition made it to conference for SCOTUS to consider and Cheeseman has just been filed.

• Informative 1