Ringwoodfrank

Wet Tumbling vs. Dry Tumbling

Just picked up a Lyman wet tumbler and ran a load of previously cleaned 45 and 35 Rem with some Dawn and LemiShine.  I’m a believer now in the wet tumbling for cleaning. Put the REALLY clean brass out in the sun and dropped in another load.

Might still use the dry for polishing, but I don’t think it’ll get much use anymore. 

What say the masses?

I did wet tumbling for a little while. First in a smaller Tumbler B and later got the larger Franford Arsenal Rotarty Tumbler (the FART) so I could clean more at one time. Also got the Franklin dryer too which is pretty neat. A re-purposed food dehydrator if you will. Works well. Started with the SS pins and some would get stuck in the flash holes. Then went to larger pins that didnt get stuck. Then graduated to no pins at all and I would still get sparkly clean brass but the primer pockets would stay dirty w/o using pins.  No doubt the wet tumbling process gets the brass clean as new. It’s beautiful !

After awhile I didnt appreciate the extra work involved with getting it that clean. And the truth is that it doesnt need to be that clean either. I shoot ALOT and to add these extra steps for me was a burden. I went back to dry media cleaning. Gets the job done and less work involved. I get to take it from the tumbler directly to my reloading press too. No wait time for it to dry. 

So I probably should’ve searched a little more through this forum as this question has been pretty thoroughly discussed. Was just pretty excited with my new toy.

A whole lot of knowledge and advice on this floating about on this site. Thank you all for sharing. 

To dry the newly clean brass, I put the strainer on the shoe rack in the dryer and pretended to do laundry. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ringwoodfrank said:

To dry the newly clean brass, I put the strainer on the shoe rack in the dryer and pretended to do laundry. 

Here's my brass last night after I patted them all down.

20190702_215847.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/yxhspw2h

That's basically what I had them on.

20 hours ago, Greenday said:

Here's my brass last night after I patted them all down.

20190702_215847.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/yxhspw2h

That's basically what I had them on.

I wet tumble and I dry pretty much the same as above.

I just set them upside down like that for 24 hours and then throw them in the "clean" bucket.

You can toss or moth ball tht dry tumbler. Once you finish with dawn/lemishine. drain and rinse a little bit and refill with a capfull of armorall wash and wax and run for another 15-20 minutes.

Also pickup a hornady case dryer or similar It will speed up your dry time