EngineerJet

NJSP building non-nfa opinion.

13 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

How about you build/buy whatever the fuck you want and shut your trap.

Do you think they can help themselves and not announce to the entire world with pics on Facebook?

"show us your short boom sticks!!!1!1!1!!!rah rah rah"

The past few posts :unsure:..

Granted we can disagree with whether or not it was smart to contact NJSP, the guy gave us the favorable answer that we all knew to be true. Green light to build, buy current and future non-NFA guns as long as they meet the guidelines laid out in the original approval letter.

Showing them off here or on facebook is the same as showing off any other gun on social media ( I see both sides of that argument). But to think that suddenly opening a thread on here will open us up to legal changes as compared to any other thread is a little ridiculous. Politicians are always looking for ways to reinterpret or change the AWB. Might as well as shut down this whole forum as a major part of it is showing and advising people on how to legal build/buy firearms that they dont want us to have in the 1st place

• Like 1

11 hours ago, matty said:

JHCTDOAC, I am SO glad I left NJ, a lotta 'gun owners' in NJ are a bunch of fags, some idiot did just as I predicted! Look for all this crap to be banned very shortly, via 'reinterpretation' of the AWB statute.

Believe it or not, Det. Sgt. Bloom is on our side.

He attended the S.A.F.E. Conference in NJ a couple of years ago and answered questions,  including clarifying that applying for a CCW and being denied was not detrimental to future FID or Pistol Permit applications as long as it was disclosed.

While in general I’d agree that calling NJSP for “permission” has been a mistake in the past, I don’t believe that’s the case with Bloom.  I honestly think he’s an advocate for gun owners in NJ, something sorely needed in the NJSP.

4 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Why broadcast shit that the wrong people might want?

Who are the wrong people?  Why would "the wrong people" specifically want this firearm that probably everyone on this forum acknowledges is marginally different than our existing rifles?

The reason it was hidden is because while Det. Sgt. Bloom might be on our side, it's still within the context of a nanny state.

56 minutes ago, everythingisnothing said:

Who are the wrong people?  Why would "the wrong people" specifically want this firearm that probably everyone on this forum acknowledges is marginally different than our existing rifles?

The reason it was hidden is because while Det. Sgt. Bloom might be on our side, it's still within the context of a nanny state.

Not entirely.

While I don't agree with his overly cautious response on not being able to build one. His reasoning was pointed out by myself and others prior to publishing his letter.

If you are building your own, it is extremely difficult to do it legally considering you most likely already own ar-15 rifles. The reality is... Just like building your own rifle, if the state police find it in pieces prior to any compliance work... You fall in the same category. 

You cannot build one of these legally with an ar-15 rifle in your possession. Once you figure that out you're gtg, and once it's assembled the liability of the rifle is gone. 

• Agree 1

On 7/4/2019 at 5:30 PM, PK90 said:

Really? I didn't know that. So you're saying my 24" barrel is no more accurate than an 8" one. I guess I'm not too old to learn something everyday.

Dunno, but tests ahve been done with 20" barrels vs 24" and the 20s won despite giving up some velocity (this was .308 BTW).

Especially if you are keeping the same weight budget. A 20" of the same weight as the 24" will be more rigid and less impacted by barrel harmonics. 

Like everything with everything ever. It's a compromise. The best compromise may not be intuitive. with regards to the "firearms" I'm pretty sure the compromise of straight "rifling" loses it the accuracy game at any range.   

18 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Dunno, but tests ahve been done with 20" barrels vs 24" and the 20s won despite giving up some velocity (this was .308 BTW).

Especially if you are keeping the same weight budget. A 20" of the same weight as the 24" will be more rigid and less impacted by barrel harmonics. 

Like everything with everything ever. It's a compromise. The best compromise may not be intuitive. with regards to the "firearms" I'm pretty sure the compromise of straight "rifling" loses it the accuracy game at any range.   

As mentioned, it obviously varies by caliber, but there are two general concepts when it comes to barrel length and accuracy.

First is velocity.  Starting with a barrel is that ridiculously short, as you go longer, you gain velocity.  That means the bullet's trajectory is flatter (less drop over a fixed distance) which generally is viewed by most people as being more "accurate".  This factor does have a diminishing return and eventually does go the other way as you get longer.  In 5.56 for example, peak velocity is generally encountered between a 18" and 20" barrel.  It will vary depending on bullet and powder load.  So a 24" 5.56 barrel will yield a slower velocity and theoretically be less accurate.  Just for comparison, 6.5 creedmoor gains velocity out to about a 28-29" barrel, but that starts to be unwieldy so most companies stop at 24" or 26".

Second it twist.  As you probably know, different twists are used to stabilize different weight bullets.  In a 5.56 16" barrel, generally a 1:9 would be ideal for a 55gr, 1:8 for a 62-65gr and 1:7 for a 75-77 gr.  The second part of twist is the number of complete rotations it takes to stabilize a bullet.  As usual, there are a number of factors, but generally you want to be between 1.5 and 2 rotations.  So for a 16" barrel, a 1:8 would be 2 full rotations.  For this reason, shorter 5.56 barrels (i.e. the 12.5" in our non-NFA) need a faster twist 1:7 vs 1:9 to stabilize the same weight bullet.  As usual, there are multiple factors in play and a lower limit on where you can go.  A 10-11" barrel should probably have a 1:6.5 twist for maximum stability but once you go below 1:7 other factors can negatively impact the accuracy.  It also gets cost prohibitive to make custom buttons for low twist rates.