TOC

NJ firearms question

Hi,

I’m planning to head over to the US from Europe later this year to compete in a PRS match. I have all my necessary DOJ / ATF import permits to allow me to bring my bolt action rifle into the United States. 

I plan on flying into and out of Newark and would like to understand if it would be a problem for me to stay in the NJ state for 3-days before I travel to another state for the match ? For example, I know a person entering NYC without a locally issued firearm permit can only do so with a rifle for 24-hours and wondered if NJ has anything similar ? I will keep the rifle in a locked hard case unloaded etc and I plan on bringing 10 round magazines. 

Is there anything you think that I should be aware of or any laws you would point me towards ?

I’ve flown in / out of the US many times with my rifle so am familiar with the international side but I’ve never been through NJ and wanted to understand if there are any areas NJ specific laws that I should be aware of ?

Thanks

50 minutes ago, TOC said:

Hi,

I’m planning to head over to the US from Europe later this year to compete in a PRS match. I have all my necessary DOJ / ATF import permits to allow me to bring my bolt action rifle into the United States. 

I plan on flying into and out of Newark and would like to understand if it would be a problem for me to stay in the NJ state for 3-days before I travel to another state for the match ? For example, I know a person entering NYC without a locally issued firearm permit can only do so with a rifle for 24-hours and wondered if NJ has anything similar ? I will keep the rifle in a locked hard case unloaded etc and I plan on bringing 10 round magazines. 

Is there anything you think that I should be aware of or any laws you would point me towards ?

I’ve flown in / out of the US many times with my rifle so am familiar with the international side but I’ve never been through NJ and wanted to understand if there are any areas NJ specific laws that I should be aware of ?

Thanks

Can you fly into Philadelphia instead?

If you have a firearm in NJ you are considered a criminal until you prove otherwise. You mentioned the match is in another State but you are spending time in NJ/NY before the match? I would consider contacting an FFL or the Org running the match and see if you could ship your rifle to them in advance and pick up up before the match. We have some FFLs here that might be able to give a professional opinion.

Otherwise reach out to the NJ State Police and/or Attorney General for official guidance. They are the people that will lock you up/prosecute, not people here.

NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit

P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068
609-882-2000 Extension 2290

Office of The Attorney General

• Main Number: 609-292-4925

Good Luck

My experience traveling internationally with a firearm for competition is decades old, and limited to traveling out of the US and returning, so not really relevant.

With the federal paperwork in place, I think there will be a way to do this.  The fact that it's a long gun simplifies things.  The plan to avoid the NY airports is a very good one.

I trust that someone with a more current understanding of what's involved will be able to weigh in shortly.

Let me try to provide more useful information than “avoid the shithole”.

To legally possess a firearm in NJ your firearm must not be banned by name or features, and you must be in an exempted location/situation where possession is not illegal.

Your bolt action is not banned by name or feature, so you’re good on that score.  You’re allowed to travel between residences with a firearm (unloaded, in the trunk or otherwise in a “securely fastened container”), so you should be good on travel from the airport to the place you’re staying for 3 days.  While within NJ, you can only transport between residences, to a range/match, or to a firearms dealer/gunsmith, and only traveling directly to/from those locations with no “unreasonable deviations”.

Don’t keep your rifle with you while going out to eat, visiting friends, etc. within NJ.  Leave it where you’re staying.  If children <18 are present where you’re staying, then the firearm must be locked/inaccessible to them.

More simply - while in NJ, transport directly from airport to residence and nowhere else.  Keep it unloaded and in locked case.  Do not transport your firearm again unless you’re going to a range/match, dealer/gunsmith, or leaving the state.

If your ammunition is not hollow point then there are no restrictions on transporting the ammo, other than it not being loaded in the rifle.

• Like 3

One other tip - when traveling with your firearm by car, keep it out of sight from the vehicle’s exterior.  If you do happen to get stopped by police, and they see a gun case inside your car they can order a search based on NJ’s legal structure around firearms (All firearms are illegal, except when possessed within exemptions).

• Like 1

Thanks all. 

Yes I will be in a hotel which in most states affords you the same legal protection as being in your own home, although I don’t know for certain that NJ isn’t different. 

I will reach out to the DA and see what they suggest. 

Appreciate it.