NJGunGeek1980

Warranty Issue

Was wondering what your thoughts were. I just bought a new handgun have put maybe 100 rounds in and it's having an issue that likely warrants sending it back to the manufacturer to look at. The question I have is the manufacture said to fill out their form they give me a label and send it back. Called the FFL I got it from they said the same thing. Called another one that offers gunsmithing services to see if it was something simple and they said all warranty stuff has to go through an FFL I can not send it directly back to the manufacturer. So not sure what way to go. 

Do what the manufacturer says.  Fill out the form, they'll send you a label, and you ship it directly to them.

There is nothing illegal, state or federal law, about a person sending a firearm to a manufacturer for repair and the person receiving it directly back from the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer replaces the firearm then it must go through a FFL as it will have a different serial number.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When I lived in NJ I sent two different handguns and a rifle (on separate occasions) to the manufacturers directly for warranty work and all three of the guns were mailed back to me directly. No FFL was used.

I bought new a Springfield Armory Inc. handgun back in April and had a warranty issue.  They emailed me a shipping label and I sent it directly to them via FedEx.  They repaired it and sent it back directly to my house.  Someone over 21 had to sign for it.  If nobody is available to sign for it after 3 delivery attempts, FedEx will hold it at their facility for a few more days (forgot exactly how many) for you to come pick it up, then they will send it back to the sender if you haven't picked it up by then.

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

Do what the manufacturer says.  Fill out the form, they'll send you a label, and you ship it directly to them.

There is nothing illegal, state or federal law, about a person sending a firearm to a manufacturer for repair and the person receiving it directly back from the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer replaces the firearm then it must go through a FFL as it will have a different serial number.

That's all correct. I have done this several times.

If by chance a handgun is replaced and a frame with a different serial number is shipped back, then you will need another P2P and acquire it through an FFL.

That, as I understand it, is a rarity. Although it happened to me once.