Underdog

Coleman Tent

Need a larger tent.   Considering a Coleman Sundome 6 with a 10x10' footprint.  Doesn't have a full fly or aluminum poles like I am accustomed to from backpacking days   Should be ok for 3 season and car camping. With kids and has bathtub floor.   A dome seems easiest to setup and I can setup a tarp over it.  Any experience of thoughts?   Other dome models Montana?  Steel Creek? seem to come with a screened porch.  Not really interested in a complicated or cabin style tent and a 6 person would most likely work.  I have older 20 plus year smaller Eureka models but not familiar with Colema ns.  There is a Target Coleman variety similar to the Sundome on sale but not sure of differences.  Do I need to seam -seal  these newer tents?  Dunham Sports a chain in PA has a 10x10 dome by Captive Insights that looks similar to Colemans and is on sale for $59.  The Coleman Sundome 6 is $99.

9 hours ago, Underdog said:

Need a larger tent.   Considering a Coleman Sundome 6 with a 10x10' footprint.  Doesn't have a full fly or aluminum poles like I am accustomed to from backpacking days   Should be ok for 3 season and car camping. With kids and has bathtub floor.   A dome seems easiest to setup and I can setup a tarp over it.  Any experience of thoughts?   Other dome models Montana?  Steel Creek? seem to come with a screened porch.  Not really interested in a complicated or cabin style tent and a 6 person would most likely work.  I have older 20 plus year smaller Eureka models but not familiar with Colema ns.  There is a Target Coleman variety similar to the Sundome on sale but not sure of differences.  Do I need to seam -seal  these newer tents?  Dunham Sports a chain in PA has a 10x10 dome by Captive Insights that looks similar to Colemans and is on sale for $59.  The Coleman Sundome 6 is $99.

Tents have gotten cheaper!   I paid more in the '80's for the Eureka Domain 3 I still use, and that was at the annual factory sale day in Binghamton.

Like you, I've no experience with fiberglass poles.  I do think you'll still need to seal the seams periodically.  The partial fly looks like it may be enough to keep the rain out (putting a tarp over the tent will be a pain in the neck, and it won't be possible to rig it at some camp sites), but if the tent uses non-breathable fabric higher up the walls and breathable only under the partial fly, the tent may collect more condensation inside.   And, as I'm sure you know, no one will be happy with 6 people sleeping in the 6 person tent...plan on about 4.

However, I don't have hands-on experience with any of the tents you mention.

• Thanks 1

A pop-up single axle trailer is in the future.  Big Agnes looks good.  Kelty  looks good.  NTK also.

Perhaps this one: https://www.amazon.com/NTK-Cherokee-Waterproof-Assembly-Coverage/dp/B00NO7EL3S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ntk+6+person+dome&qid=1563024737&s=gift-cards&sr=8-1 or https://www.kelty.com/outback-6-tent/.  Thanks guys.It will be for 4 and maybe a heeler.

If this is for car camping, I’d go as big (size wise) as your budget permits. If you have 4 people plus a dog, then a 8-person tent would be spacious. A 6 person might get cramped pretty quick. All those tents look like they would keep you relatively dry for normal amounts of rain.

Have fun!

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Tents have gotten cheaper!   I paid more in the '80's for the Eureka Domain 3 I still use,

Yep, cheaper in price, and in quality. We use to always buy Eureka in the past with full flys and never had a problem with them. Always sealed the seams as a precaution.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

And, as I'm sure you know, no one will be happy with 6 people sleeping in the 6 person tent...plan on about 4.

That's the other thing we found out, they never hold the rated amount of people unless you stack bodies.... The rule of thumb, but a tent with DOUBLE the rating for the number of people planning on sleeping in it, as a minimum.

It's kinda like gun safes... they never can hold what the stated quantity says...