Maksim

PA Auction Find - Walther PP

Have always loved the way the Walther PPK looked and wanted one, until I shot one and remembered the horrible recoil and the big reliability issues with the various US Made and imported models.

Was out visiting a gun auction in the middle of PA (or what felt like) and found this guy that I needed to liberate.

1940 Walther PP.  1 Mag, no holster unfortunately.

Generally not a fan of Nazi stuff but this was a very good piece of history at a very reasonable price.  Really good condition, regular holster wear.  

large.883D8FDB-CDEA-4B3B-90FE-C23C683C9270.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fishnut said:

Nice! I have one in .22lr with the eagle N stamps on it that I inherited from my grandfather 

Cool. Certainly really cool and historic guns and may request a new USA made one from Walther.  I never had issues with slide bite with other guns but I can certainly see getting hit with this one. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

Nice one Maks!  Looks great for an 80 year old!:)

Thanks. 

You hear the stories of all of these superb bring backs being stored on a farm by a vet. 

This was a general estate auction in a big Quaker area.   Guy passed away and this the auction.  Farm equipment, guns, etc. 

Also for sale we’re some nice old Smiths, Colts, and a few shotguns. 

Colts were in beautiful condition. This was a smaller auction house that does not do online bidding and had no buyers premium which is just a wow. 

Colt Trooper Mark 3 E-nickel finish $675(worth about $2k)

colt King Cobra $1k

really nice Les Baer 1912 $1050

Norinco MAK90 like new in box $650

Armscor M1A $1100  (someone mentioned possibly mismatched barrel?) but apparently really good price. 

Just goes to show,  keep options open and you can come across some nice guns and collector pieces for a good price. 

Overall, seems like gun auctions you either have some really good deals and a lot of stuff that goes for above retail. 

• Like 1

@Maksim nice gun. I've always had a PP/PPK around since 1973.  I have a few now.  I have a late war (1944) PP in 32. That was when they stopped marking them except for serial number and an acceptance stamp. It has some serious pitting but for $125 I couldn't pass it up.

The pride of my PP/PPK assortment is a mid-60s PPK in 32.  JUST LIKE THE GENUINE JAMES BOND!!! I've wanted one since 1962 when I started reading Bond and eventually got one. It was unfired but I changed that!  Some of the forum members got to shoot it at one of our informal meets.

I share Skeeter Skelton's opinion that a PP/PPK in 32 or 380 with FMJ  is about as effective as a 2" 38 with 158 RNL. Not something you want to dismiss.

• Thanks 1