jm1827

Preventing Sea Sickness

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

+1 for Ray Ray.  I was told and have found that if you are feeling seasick, don’t focus or look at things nearby.  Find a point on the horizon, a lighthouse, building, bridge, any type of structure and focus on that.  Things in the distance aren’t rocking as much.

That's why  said dont go down below, everything is moving and it can be very disorienting. Out on deck with a view of the horizon and all well.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:20 AM, GRIZ said:

If you're going to take something try Bonine.  It doesn't make you drowsy.

@fishnut is correct.  Stay on deck but stay away from the transom as the exhaust fumes will make you feel worse

@JohnnyB is correct too.  I used to run boats at work.  I'd never get seasick as long as I was at the helm.  I knew pilots who would get airsick if they weren't at the controls.

FWIW I never got airsick although I've flown in small aircraft when the pilots did crazy stuff.

Bonine is just ginger pills. 

What may be an important fact for someone: ginger is a laxative in larger doses. 

I've never been seasick on a boat in the daytime. However I went on a fishing trip that was at night, mostly lights out, and turned out to be under conditions where cloud cover made the moon and stars non-existent. That one managed to make me feel unwell but didn't have me heaving. 

Motion sickness really comes in two forms. One is intolerance to getting yanked around physically and the associated inner ear feedback. The other is due to a mismatch between what your brain perceives the motion to be and what your inner ear determines the motion to actually be. The former is just going to be bad without dramamine or the patch, or if you are lucky, ginger.  The latter can be helped by watching the horizon or engaging in significant physical activity that is more pronounced than the movement of the boat. 

Regardless, careful on the ginger. You don't want to be heaving from both ends. (FYI, in my looking up of ginger tea for unassociated reasons, teh advice was ~1Tbs as daily intake. Do not exceed if you don't want a laxative effect, do if you do want to doodoo. 

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

Bonine is just ginger pills

No, different active ingredients.  Bonine (original formula) is meclizine, ginger a whole bunch of stuff, with the gingerols and related molecules probably the most active against nausea

@raz-0 see @10X's post.  Ginger can treat nausea and also be used as a laxative.  The meclizine is an antihistamine.  I would hazard a guess you'd be getting drowsy from that way before the ginger would have any laxative effect.

I suspect the ginger in bonine is there more as a flavoring.  They also make a raspberry bonine 

OP- A great way to stay busy is to ask the mate to teach you and your kids how to make terminal tackle and rig baits. They will be more than happy to let you do their job and it's good to know if your getting into fishing 

21 hours ago, GRIZ said:

@raz-0 see @10X's post.  Ginger can treat nausea and also be used as a laxative.  The meclizine is an antihistamine.  I would hazard a guess you'd be getting drowsy from that way before the ginger would have any laxative effect.

I suspect the ginger in bonine is there more as a flavoring.  They also make a raspberry bonine 

They have ginger chews, non drowsy and with a dosing age of 6. Which their other products don't have. I just assumed that was the product when I looked it up. 

The meclizine stuff isn't what is in dramamine, but is also an antihistamine that causes drowsiness. So if you are trying to skip the drowsiness, it's their ginger pill.