jimg50

Stop 2 referals for hand gun purchase

Im 71 and most friends are dead that i went shooting with. In PA you only need your drivers licence and an fbi check to buy a gun and dont need to go to the police dept. Why is liberal NJ so difficult. I should not have to get others involved in my business. The need to have 2 letters mailed to two people i know to have them say im safe to buy a gun is rediculus. Would you give two people as reference that would knock you? 

We need to be like PA. and most all other states in our country. 

I feel like a criminal having to sit next to a cop that probably doesn't live as clean a life that i do. 

Pls stop my having to give two references, and waiting for letters to come back before i buy a pistol. In all other states you just use gun control laws and checks. And wait 3 days to pick it up. In NJ you can die waiting for your permits.

As a registered member of the aforementioned choir, I can tell you that's one reason why we bought a house in PA. And now we have resident PA LTCFs to boot.

But a note of caution: without eternal vigilance and effort it wouldn't take too much to make PA as bad or worse than NJ. And the same can probably be said for the whole country.

51 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

As a registered member of the aforementioned choir, I can tell you that's one reason why we bought a house in PA. And now we have resident PA LTCFs to boot.

But a note of caution: without eternal vigilance and effort it wouldn't take too much to make PA as bad or worse than NJ. And the same can probably be said for the whole country.

1 hour ago, jimg50 said:

Im 71 and most friends are dead that i went shooting with. In PA you only need your drivers licence and an fbi check to buy a gun and dont need to go to the police dept. Why is liberal NJ so difficult. I should not have to get others involved in my business. The need to have 2 letters mailed to two people i know to have them say im safe to buy a gun is rediculus. Would you give two people as reference that would knock you? 

We need to be like PA. and most all other states in our country. 

I feel like a criminal having to sit next to a cop that probably doesn't live as clean a life that i do. 

Pls stop my having to give two references, and waiting for letters to come back before i buy a pistol. In all other states you just use gun control laws and checks. And wait 3 days to pick it up. In NJ you can die waiting for your permits.

Welcome to the community.

Reference letters suck BUT that is why you make gun friends.  We have regular, organized get together and you are free to get together with another member.

While in NJ, the last 8 years of getting permits, I used forum members for references.  

I will say though, for handguns, PA is not the best example... we do have that additional handgun form that asks even more info... such as employer address and of course the stupid question of your "Age"  right next to your date of birth.

Agree, the reference part is the (IMO) most egregious of the annoyances. 

I get the feel good of some to add extra steps and forms and permits.

I get the need of liberals and leftists to monetize the permitting of purchases.

i get the desire of politicians to add steps to falsely show the public that they’re being extra rigorous or influencing safety. 

(Note saying “get” doesn’t imply agreement or approval)

To ask two third parties (I’d almost understand it if it was a spouse or significant other) for their opinion, which could hold some liability or questioning should something bad happen, and of who may be entirely poor judges of character, is just plain stupid. I can’t see how it does anything but annoy, which is probably the intent.

Isn't it obvious? Here's how it works:

1 known gang member puts in for his permits. He has to name 2 references. You can bet at least 1, but probably both are also gang members. Now you have identified 3 gang members. Now they submit permits and identify 2 more gang members each. Now you know 7 gang members' identities - and you have their fingerprints to boot! This goes on and on until you have identified everybody connected with the gang.

This is crime fighting gold!

I think they should add a box on the form for the name of your gang.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Isn't it obvious? Here's how it works:

1 known gang member puts in for his permits. He has to name 2 references. You can bet at least 1, but probably both are also gang members. Now you have identified 3 gang members. Now they submit permits and identify 2 more gang members each. Now you know 7 gang members' identities - and you have their fingerprints to boot! This goes on and on until you have identified everybody connected with the gang.

This is crime fighting gold!

I think they should add a box on the form for the name of your gang.

Huh?

Gang members usually have records and are prohibited.

Why would your references apply for permits just because you did?

References don't get fingerprinted.

Unless tongue in cheek. Bad example!

• FacePalm 1

On 7/30/2019 at 8:03 AM, JohnnyB said:

Huh?

Gang members usually have records and are prohibited.

Why would your references apply for permits just because you did?

References don't get fingerprinted.

Unless tongue in cheek. Bad example!

Very much tongue in cheek - I almost bit it off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2019 at 1:08 AM, BobA said:

I understood it.  Should I be worried?

Not at all. It just means you are smarter than average.

You might want to worry if you were going to post the same thing, but didn't because I got there first.

• Haha 1