Bully

ZEV Modular Build Kit - Hmmmmmmmmm...

At the risk of becoming a “Gucci Glock”, I am seriously considering making some significant upgrades to my Glock 17, 4th Gen, 9mm handgun to improve its accuracy and reliability and improve its overall shooting experience.  Specifically, purchasing and installing/substituting the following components on the gun:

• ZEV Technologies Z17 Citadel Stripped Slide with RMR Plate
  • ZEV Technologies PRO Flat Face Glock Ultimate Trigger Kit
  • Aimpoint ACRO P-1 Red Dot Sight
  • SureFire X300U-B Ultra High Output 1000 Lumen LED Weapon Light

Several years ago, I did a number of upgrades to this Glock that included purchasing and installing:

• Wilson Combat Match Grade Stainless Steel Barrel
  • Trijicon HD Night Sights
  • Tungsten Guide Rod from The Glock Store
  • Extended Magazine Release from The Glock Store
  • Beavertail Grip from The Glock Store

Yes, I realize that the cost of what I have already done to my Glock, as well as what I am considering doing to it will significantly exceed the cost of just purchasing a new ZEV OZ9, but since I already have and like my Glock 17, I would rather just do the upgrades.  It is not economically rational, but a subjective exercise in attempting to obtain small but noticeable improvements to what I already have.  Do you think I am nuts to do this or can you empathize with this urge to tweak, even if it does not make financial sense?

AVB-AMG

The only real question on this, for me, would be has someone finally made a metal glock frame that doesn't break? 

Other than the limits of the glock trigger, the old wolf race frames shot REALLY nice. 

Just now, raz-0 said:

The only real question on this, for me, would be has someone finally made a metal glock frame that doesn't break? 

Other than the limits of the glock trigger, the old wolf race frames shot REALLY nice. 

I can only say that I really like this gun. Longevity remains to be determined. 
This gun will be my primary pistol for local/club level matches for the foreseeable future. I have a holster on the way from GX. Mag pouches will be next as the ones I’m using (although they work fine) are on loan from a very good friend. A red dot will be added shortly as well. I really like the Vortex Venom and will use one again. My eyes are not what they used to be unfortunately. 
The pistol, as she sits, shoots really well. I load somewhat hot as I have another comped gun and don’t want to worry about ammo mix ups. The frame really does seem to handle the recoil a little better than a stock 17. I like the grip but will be deleting the one finger groove and stippling it(I really don’t like any finger grooves personally). I had a Zev trigger in it but it didn’t agree with my finger so I put an Apex Purple in. I really like they trigger a lot. 
All in all, I’m really very happy with the gun and am looking forward to making some upgrades down the road as I get better at running it. 

On 12/18/2019 at 10:02 AM, AVB-AMG said:

At the risk of becoming a “Gucci Glock”, I am seriously considering making some significant upgrades to my Glock 17, 4th Gen, 9mm handgun to improve its accuracy and reliability and improve its overall shooting experience.  Specifically, purchasing and installing/substituting the following components on the gun:

Several years ago, I did a number of upgrades to this Glock that included purchasing and installing:

Yes, I realize that the cost of what I have already done to my Glock, as well as what I am considering doing to it will significantly exceed the cost of just purchasing a new ZEV OZ9, but since I already have and like my Glock 17, I would rather just do the upgrades.  It is not economically rational, but a subjective exercise in attempting to obtain small but noticeable improvements to what I already have.  Do you think I am nuts to do this or can you empathize with this urge to tweak, even if it does not make financial sense?

AVB-AMG

Take it from someone who’s dumped way, way, way too much money into stock Glocks....do it and just have fun. 

• Agree 1

On 12/18/2019 at 10:02 AM, AVB-AMG said:

AVB-AMG

Why not? Go with the Trijicon. O6

27 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

FYI: Ad pet Trijicon the SRO is not a “duty” rated optic.

That is straight from the Trij reps mouth when asked about using it on our G17 for patrol. 

Agreed. It’s their answer to everyone making awesome optics for match guns. 
I was able to cast an eye thru one. I’d really like one but will stick with the Venom as it works really well and is wayyyyy cheaper. 

• Like 2

Trijicon recommends the RMR06. I have a couple of the version 1 RMR offerings as well as an RMR02, nice optics one and all.

That being said, I have two Holosuns, a 407 (Red dot) and a 508T (green dot). Wow. These are nice options. Fraction of the cost of the RMR bigger viewing window, reliable, and tough - especially the 508T with the Titanium housing. I am also really digging the green dot. Really stands out.

• Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Bully said:

Agreed. It’s their answer to everyone making awesome optics for match guns. 
I was able to cast an eye thru one. I’d really like one but will stick with the Venom as it works really well and is wayyyyy cheaper. 

This is where sig is screwing me

UPDATE: Clearly crossing the line and creating a “Gucci Glock”, or more honestly and realistically a "Frankenstein Glock", I have dived into the deep end for my winter project and have committed to making multiple significant upgrades and additions to my Glock 17, 4th Gen, 9mm handgun.  I want to have at least one of my handguns to have an Ruggedized Miniture Reflex (RMR) sight on it and my Glock seems to be the ideal candidate for that modification.  Especially since GLOCKS and the Glock platform, lend themselves to be so easily modified.  As many of you know and I have discovered, there a quite a few of companies who make after-market components for Glocks that are in many cases, real improvements over the original factory components.

I realize that none of this is really necessary.  But to me, it is an interesting exercise in attempting to accomplish anywhere from subtle to very noticeable improvements to this handgun’s accuracy and reliability, as well as improving my overall shooting experience with this customized creation.  Also, I will admit it….some parts are being substituted primarily for cosmetic and aesthetic purposes, because I like the “look”.  Some of the components were purchased and installed several years ago, but most of them are new as of 2020.

The following is a list of all of the parts and components and accessories that I have purchased.  Once I have received all of the new items, I will have a professional Gunsmith who really specializes in Glocks, perform the installation of all the components, since I want it done accurately:

• ZEV Technologies Z17 Citadel Stripped Slide w/RMR Plate, Black
  • ZEV PKUPPER9 9mm Stainless Steel Parts Kit for ZEV Slide
  • Aimpoint ACRO P-1 Red Dot Sight, Black
  • Aimpoint Acro Red Dot Sight Mount Adapter Plate, Glock MOS, Black
  • Trijicon Suppressor Night Sight Set - White Front/Black Rear
  • SureFire X300 Ultra 1000 Lumens Ultra Weapon Light in Black
  • Wilson Combat Stainless Steel Match Barrel
  • Tungsten Guide Rod & Spring
  • Extended Aluminum Magazine Catch
  • Zev Technologies Titanium Extended Slide Lock Lever
  • Stainless Steel Pin Kit (4) with Titanium Gold Finish
  • Magpul GL Enhanced Magwell
  • Beaver Tail Backstrap Kit
  • Chambermax TA-1 Charging Handle

Yes, I realize that the cost of what I have already done to my Glock, as well as what I am considering doing to it will significantly exceed the cost of just purchasing a new ZEV OZ9, but since I already have and like my Glock 17, I would rather just do the upgrades.  All of this is not economically rational, but a subjective exercise in attempting to obtain small but noticeable improvements to what I already have.  As most of you know, a basic Glock 17 costs just around $600.  All of these upgraded components and accessories have a total cost of just over $2,000.  Some more practical folks may think that I am nuts to do this, but I am certainly enjoying the satisfying process of tweaking this handgun, which happens to be my very first handgun, and am looking forward to the seeing, feeling and shooting the completed result.

AVB-AMG

@AVB-AMG

If nothing else, just save the original parts. You can then return the G17 to stock if you like and go with an aftermarket frame at some point and drop the fancy stuff on it. 
Gen4’s don’t lend themselves to as much customizing as the 3’s yet. Give it some time. 

Just now, Bully said:

@AVB-AMG

If nothing else, just save the original parts. You can then return the G17 to stock if you like and go with an aftermarket frame at some point and drop the fancy stuff on it. 
Gen4’s don’t lend themselves to as much customizing as the 3’s yet. Give it some time. 

@Bully:

I definitely plan on keeping the original Glock slide and the Trijicon HD Night Sights that are mounted on it, along with all of the other original Glock parts.  But I seriously doubt that I will revert to any of them once all of the noted upgraded parts and accessories have been installed.

AVB-AMG

9 minutes ago, Lakota said:

@AVB-AMG Pics or it didn't happen. :)

@Lakota:

I am still waiting to receive some of the parts that I have ordered.  Once I have everything, I will take it to the Gunsmith who I have used previously for other firearms-related work and have him do the necessary work.  My guess is that I should get it back and can post some pictures of the completed custom job sometime in February.

AVB-AMG

3 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

@Lakota:

I am still waiting to receive some of the parts that I have ordered.  Once I have everything, I will take it to the Gunsmith who I have used previously for other firearms-related work and have him do the necessary work.  My guess is that I should get it back and can post some pictures of the completed custom job sometime in February.

AVB-AMG

The beauty of Glocks is the relative ease with which all parts are pretty much user serviceable. No real need to take it to a 'smith.  

That said, I actually did pass the armorers class.  I'm happy to help if you want to swing by on a Sunday.   

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

@Lakota:

AVB-AMG

Cmon! You can do this your self 

@Zeke, @carl_g, @124gr9mm, @Lakota , @Bully & @Rob0115:

Ok guys, I finally received all of the parts for and have completed the assembly of my "Frankenstein Glock".
As I indicated in an earlier post in this thread, I had decided to take my very first handgun, a factory stock Glock 17, Gen4, 9mm and perform a number of modifications.  I substituted a number of major and minor OEM Glock parts for upgraded after-market parts, as well as added a couple of major accessories.  The trickiest part was finding the RMR adapter plate that is the correct size and configuration to fit on the ZEV slide, since it is different from the Glock RMR milled indentation. This exercise was primarily to see if all of these modifications and additions actually improves the feel, usefulness and most importantly, the accuracy of this handgun, as well as secondarily the shooting experience on the range and possibly even the so-called aesthetics of this handgun.  I plan to put several hundred rounds through it over the next several weeks to zero in the red dot sight in correlation to the elevated Trijicon Suppressor Night Sights, as well as to see if anything else needs tweaking.  Again, here is a list of the parts and accessories that I substituted or added:

• ZEV Technologies Z17 Citadel Stripped Slide w/RMR Plate, Black
  • ZEV PKUPPER9 9mm Stainless Steel Parts Kit for ZEV Slide
  • Trijicon RMR to Aimpoint Acro Red Dot Sight Mount Adapter Plate
  • Trijicon Suppressor Night Sight Set - White Front/Black Rear
  • SureFire X300 Ultra 1000 Lumens Ultra Weapon Light in Black
  • Wilson Combat Stainless Steel Match Barrel
  • Tungsten Guide Rod & Spring
  • Extended Aluminum Magazine Catch
  • Zev Technologies Titanium Extended Slide Lock Lever
  • Stainless Steel Pin Kit (4) with Titanium Gold Finish
  • Magpul GL Enhanced Magwell
  • Beaver Tail Backstrap Kit
  • Chambermax TA-1 Charging Handle

Since you asked for them, I am including a number of photos of the resulting build.  The AimPoint ACRO Red Dot sight is big... really big!  It looks like a bread box, (yeah, I am that old....), on top of a brick (Glock).  I do not think anyone would call it aesthetically attractive.... as if a Glock can ever be considered truly attractive, but what the heck.  This has been an exercise in experimentation of sequential improvements in two phases, mostly functional in nature.
Let me know what you think....  Thanks

AVB-AMG

Glock 17, Gen4, 9mm - Modified (0).jpg

Glock 17, Gen4, 9mm - Modified (0.0).jpg

Glock 17, Gen4, 9mm - Modified (1).jpg

Glock 17, Gen4, 9mm - Modified (2).jpg

Glock 17, Gen4, 9mm - Modified (3).jpg

Glock 17, Gen4, 9mm - Modified (4).jpg

Glock 17, Gen4, 9mm - Modified (5).jpg

• Like 3

I'm on board with everything but the optics.  I don't know anything about that red dot ... maybe its the best in the world ..but dam that optic is ugly. Like a big black turd sitting on your pistol lol. From a looks standpoint I think the optics does it an injustice.  Besides that i think it looks sweet.  Enjoy.

11 minutes ago, Lakota said:

I'm on board with everything but the optics.  I don't know anything about that red dot ... maybe its the best in the world ..but dam that optic is ugly. Like a big black turd sitting on your pistol lol. From a looks standpoint I think the optics does it an injustice.  Besides that i think it looks sweet.  Enjoy.

@Lakota:

I have to agree with you.  My modified Glock is not going to win any beauty contest.....

AVB-AMG

3 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Wow!

Nicely done.

Don't know if I could get used to the toaster you have sitting on top of the slide, but that's a cool looking Glock!

@124gr9mm:

Thank you.
Yes, it will most certainly take some getting use to, but I think after awhile it will grow on me.  I think your analogy of the ACRO looking like a toaster is most appropriate.  But if all of these modifications make "toast" of the paper target's bullseye, then I will be satisfied...
AVB-AMG

AVB - I have found that when messing with Glocks it can be a journey of frustration if you change a lot of parts at once. I find it is a more efficient process to change A part at a time and see if it runs. Hard to diagnose an issue with so many non-standard parts being added all at the same time.

I think you will find that a Trijicon RMR would better suit that build. It will sink the optic window lower in the slide giving you a more natural aiming posture and a resultant shorter learning curve with a pistol mounted RDS. Additionally, the ACRO has an atrocious battery life, so keep spares on hand.

Additionally, when you go to the range bring a standard Glock OEM recoil spring assembly (RSA). Those tungsten rods with “tunable” springs are more aggravation than they are worth and you may decide to throw the original RSA back in if you are having malfunctions.

Same with that mag release. You may find you are inadvertently hitting that big extended release while shooting and dumping mags. Bring a manufacturer’s OEM mag catch to alleviate that frustration.

Finally, check out the Tangodown/Vickers slide racker instead of that crazy charging handle you have on there. The TD/V does a great job while being much lower profile.

Quality parts overall - well done. I hope it runs well for you.

Good luck!