45Doll

Sussex Co. Line Voltage Down to 105V

I just got a message from the UPS in my data center that there’s been an extended under voltage condition. I double checked it with a meter and indeed here in the house it’s down to around 105V instead of 120. We're on JCP&L in Sussex county.

So the load on the grid due to the heat must be really bad. They must have dialed down the generators. That can’t be due to just line loss.

I have 400 Amp service off my own transformer fed by the 7.2 KV primaries on Route 94 and historically run around 123-125. So they must be browning out this neck of the woods. Still holding around 105.

I have a couple emails out to friends up here but haven't heard anything back. Don't see anything public yet either.

I was out in Newton today for about an hour and it was like a blast furnace. So I can't say I'm surprised.

27 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I have 400 Amp service off my own transformer fed by the 7.2 KV primaries on Route 94 and historically run around 123-125. So they must be browning out this neck of the woods. Still holding around 105.

I have a couple emails out to friends up here but haven't heard anything back. Don't see anything public yet either.

I was out in Newton today for about an hour and it was like a blast furnace. So I can't say I'm surprised.

400 amp service for residential? Holy crap. 

I’d guess it be a good idea to continue to monitor it. Some appliances may be more tolerant to voltage swings while other are not like some of the high end TV’s and or anything else with a circuit board so It might be worth putting a call into them. We have PSE&G here and over the last couple years I observed much activity at two of the nearby substations and surrounding area with lineman upgrading poles & stringing new cable.

On a side note was in HomeDepot the other day and asked them why they don’t have the snow blowers out yet? The rep said look over there in the center aisle, they had a shit load of A/C wall-shakers units, she said they expected to sell them out by this weekend... good luck

59 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

400 amp service for residential? Holy crap. 

I wired the house when we built it, but not the service entrance. I simply spec'd twin 200 amp panels and took it from there.

We suffered with way under powered circuitry in our first house, and I wasn't going to let that happen again. Plus I had an 'in' to buy all the necessary wire and fixtures. (No, they didn't fall off a truck. I simply got the best prices in the state.) Many of the outlet boxes in my house are double duplex running split 240. Run a toaster oven with a hair dryer anywhere you want. Throw in a coffee pot if you feel like it.

Not to mention computers.

The one thing I can't control is that we're at the end of a long primary run. So our power goes out up here a lot more than I would like. 2 hours down with those big storms two nights ago.

As of 8:20 we're back up to around 111 v.

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I double checked it with a meter and indeed here in the house it’s down to around 105V instead of 120.

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

So the load on the grid due to the heat must be really bad.

It's definitely the heat. Tomorrow and Sunday will be even worse. I was out working on my motorhome during the afternoon, and I was seeing 107, so JCP&L is having issues here, too.

2 hours ago, FXDX said:

I’d guess it be a good idea to continue to monitor it. Some appliances may be more tolerant to voltage swings while other are not like some of the high end TV’s and or anything else with a circuit board so It might be worth putting a call into them. We have PSE&G here and over the last couple years I observed much activity at two of the nearby substations and surrounding area with lineman upgrading poles & stringing new cable.

On a side note was in HomeDepot the other day and asked them why they don’t have the snow blowers out yet? The rep said look over there in the center aisle, they had a shit load of A/C wall-shakers units, she said they expected to sell them out by this weekend... good luck

Snow blowers?  You mean generators?

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Snow blowers?  You mean generators?

During the summer I ask them every time I go in there. Then in the winter I flip it around ask where the grills & mowers are just to mess with them. You know the drill, the week the kids go back to school the stores put out the Halloween candy then they go right into Christmas mode, too much too fast.

As far as the generators when (Irene) the storm that missed us before Sandy I was waiting in line at HD to buy one. They were taking them off the delivery trucks and calling numbers just like at the deli. Everyone was well behaved but it was funny to seeing the long line for people waiting to buy one. I bet half the people that purchased one returned it after the storm missed us. I kept my unit and converted it to Tri-Fuel, specifically NG and installed a Transfer Switch. It kept the lights on for us during Sandy.

Anyway good chance the OP will be in for more of the same tomorrow. Suppose to hit 100 so I'm sure some folks will be running the A/C units non-stop tomorrow. If it does hit 100 I'll dial ours back to 79 or 80.  if its 100 degrees out and people have their stats set on 70 best of luck to them, that's a 30 swing in temps so its likely their A/C units will never catch up to cycle off.  Stay cool...

7 hours ago, FXDX said:

During the summer I ask them every time I go in there. Then in the winter I flip it around ask where the grills & mowers are just to mess with them. You know the drill, the week the kids go back to school the stores put out the Halloween candy then they go right into Christmas mode, too much too fast.

As far as the generators when (Irene) the storm that missed us before Sandy I was waiting in line at HD to buy one. They were taking them off the delivery trucks and calling numbers just like at the deli. Everyone was well behaved but it was funny to seeing the long line for people waiting to buy one. I bet half the people that purchased one returned it after the storm missed us. I kept my unit and converted it to Tri-Fuel, specifically NG and installed a Transfer Switch. It kept the lights on for us during Sandy.

Anyway good chance the OP will be in for more of the same tomorrow. Suppose to hit 100 so I'm sure some folks will be running the A/C units non-stop tomorrow. If it does hit 100 I'll dial ours back to 79 or 80.  if its 100 degrees out and people have their stats set on 70 best of luck to them, that's a 30 swing in temps so its likely their A/C units will never catch up to cycle off.  Stay cool...

Two things.

Irene did not miss us, it made landfall in little egg harbor.  Irene arguably did more damage to my area than Sandy did with rainfall totals from 10 to 17 inches.  It washed out roads, culverts and had certain areas isolated.  A 6 foot diameter pipe under Breakneck road couldn't handle the volume.   The asphalt was still connected...hanging in space. with a 15 foot wide, 10 feet high void below it.   We lost power for about 8 hours during Irene.

As to your second point, nothing irritates me more than going to Home depot in JANUARY and not being able to buy an electric heater.  As if winter is over or something.  Oh, you might find something...some ridiculously expensive, goofy looking thing that no one bought or a few open boxes that probably don't work.   I buy all that stuff online anymore.  It's usually the same price or cheaper and I don't have to hunt for it or settle for something that is a POS.

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

What are you doing in the garage?!?

It's a 30x30 detached garage with a second floor so its a bit larger than a normal garage. The former owner owned a detailing business so the garage is wired for a lift and compressor. 

For now it's my workshop but eventually I'll finish it off as a 1 bedroom plus a loft and rent it out 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fishnut said:

For now it's my workshop but eventually I'll finish it off as a 1 bedroom plus a loft and rent it out 

You spelled brothel wrong..  it would also explain the lift, car batteries, jumper cables, and chains. 

• Haha 1

Well, last night by 10:00 PM it was back to 114, and now this morning it's 117. So I won't be surprised if I have the dip again.

As usual the only possible good factor will be that many office buildings are closed today and presumably not running A/C, or at least not running at full cooling.

I have a three car finished garage; but nothing very interesting going on in it. Perhaps I'll need to branch out a little. 

55 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Well, last night by 10:00 PM it was back to 114, and now this morning it's 117. So I won't be surprised if I have the dip again.

As usual the only possible good factor will be that many office buildings are closed today and presumably not running A/C, or at least not running at full cooling.

I have a three car finished garage; but nothing very interesting going on in it. Perhaps I'll need to branch out a little. 

220 , 221 whatever it takes 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

So I won't be surprised if I have the dip again.

Probably will, and those dips are actually worse than outages, as it can really harm the equipment. I was surprised I saw the 107 yesterday and will be watching closely today. Also wondering if the grid can handle the demand, and if we will see any outages during the afternoon.

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

Two things.

Irene did not miss us, it made landfall in little egg harbor.  Irene arguably did more damage to my area than Sandy did with rainfall totals from 10 to 17 inches.  It washed out roads, culverts and had certain areas isolated.  A 6 foot diameter pipe under Breakneck road couldn't handle the volume.   The asphalt was still connected...hanging in space. with a 15 foot wide, 10 feet high void below it.   We lost power for about 8 hours during Irene.

As to your second point, nothing irritates me more than going to Home depot in JANUARY and not being able to buy an electric heater.  As if winter is over or something.  Oh, you might find something...some ridiculously expensive, goofy looking thing that no one bought or a few open boxes that probably don't work.   I buy all that stuff online anymore.  It's usually the same price or cheaper and I don't have to hunt for it or settle for something that is a POS.

maybe I should have said many were spared. sorry about your damages and not to diminish your losses but for the most part it it was a miss and Irene didn't have the same footprint or impact to the state as Sandy.  As you know Sandy created wide spread damages in several states but Seaside was ground zero. The state had to deploy the NJDOT truck fleet with the snow plows mounted just to clear route 35 from the wreckage. Then for the clean up you had police departments and utility companies come from all over the north east to help out. Governor CC also created a dedicated state agency for the Sandy recovery.

40 minutes ago, FXDX said:

maybe I should have said many were spared. sorry about your damages and not to diminish your losses but for the most part it it was a miss and Irene didn't have the same footprint or impact to the state as Sandy.  As you know Sandy created wide spread damages in several states but Seaside was ground zero. The state had to deploy the NJDOT truck fleet with the snow plows mounted just to clear route 35 from the wreckage. Then for the clean up you had police departments and utility companies come from all over the north east to help out. Governor CC also created a dedicated state agency for the Sandy recovery.

Again, Irene did anywhere from 20 to 45 billion in damages, killed 66 people and flooded out everything about 30 miles inland all the way up into northern Vermont.    The Army corps of Engineers had to build temporary bridges in areas that literally had no access as wide chasms were washed across roads in towns up into NY that had never had flooding in their history.   People in NW Jersey in some areas lost power for up to 2 weeks.  My town was down to two ways in or out.  The other access roads were washed out completely.

Sandy blasted the Jersey shore and gave me some wind for an evening and gas shortages for about a week.  My power was out for 25 hours.   Costs were estimate at 60 to 80 billion.   Yes, much more expensive, mostly because it hit some of the most expensive real estate in the country, including NYC.  

Both Hurricanes hit NJ.  Both were bad.  

There were a couple of storms that did miss us right before Sandy.  Irene was a year earlier following on the heels of Lee which was minor but dumped a bunch of water and saturated everything causing Irene to have such a bad impact.

9 hours ago, Zeke said:

Trying to take over the world 

1*tXjP8-C0qhngxmR4F9pBVQ.jpeg

If anyone wants to consult, I've done several whole house on-panel generator transfer switch installs for people, back after Sandy decided to frack people's collective couches.

• Haha 1