bluelyn

NJ parents want to gift me a handgun. Do they need FID?

Hello,

My parents are NJ residents and they would like to gift me a handgun. I am a California resident who can legally own a firearm. I spoke with a local FFL dealer who told me that my parents should be able to buy the handgun from a NJ FFL gun dealer and FFL transfer it to my dealer in California. However, my parents do not have a Firearms ID (FID). Do they need to have a FID in order to buy the handgun? I was told that the handgun would not be in their name when purchased so this shouldn't be necessary. 

Is it true that my parents can go to a gun store and purchase a handgun for me as a gift without a FID and be able to FFL transfer the gun to my California FFL dealer right then and there without the gun being registered under their name? My parents are elderly so they have no intention of going through the paperwork to get a FID.

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not please move it to the correct place.

Your parents can have the NJ Dealer order a handgun of their choice. They pay for it (never take possession), and the dealer sends it to the CA Dealer for transfer to you. BUT, keep it in mind that it must be listed on CA's Handgun Roster, or you can't take possession.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Is there a reason they’re picking out the gun instead of you?  Wouldn’t it be better if you picked out the gun that you like and they send you the cash to cover the cost?

Parents know what's best for their kids.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PK90 said:

Your parents can have the NJ Dealer order a handgun of their choice. They pay for it (never take possession), and the dealer sends it to the CA Dealer for transfer to you. BUT, keep it in mind that it must be listed on CA's Handgun Roster, or you can't take possession.

As Paul Said, but also your parents will need to seek out a NJ FFL that is willing to ship to Calif.

There are form to fill out prior to shipment that some dealer don't want to bother with.....

THIS IS THE OP'S 1ST POST.  MY ANTENNA IS UP.

As I analyze this thread, it starts-out asking how someone with no intention of filling-out paperwork (NJFPID) can "straw purchase" for someone out of state...  Take the relationship of parent > kid out of the equation.  What do YOU see here?

Maybe it's just me, but this seems like quite an involved, technical question for a 1st-ever post on a gun forum...  not a mention of what the gun IS or whether it conforms to Kali gun laws...

Is this hand gun so special that its' only sold in the Communist People's Republic of New Jerseystan?  Is it a 50 year old antique model that's unique in some way?  I'm missing some info here!

If I'm dead wrong, I apologize in advance.

Mommy & Daddy can send you an Amex gift card, all dressed-up pretty with a bow on the box.  Then you take the gift card to the Kali FFL & buy the gun after YOU personally go thru whatever meat grinder Kali puts a new gun owner thru (notice folks he said he CAN legally own a hand gun----NOT that he ALREADY HAS ONE OR SEVERAL!).

~R

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

THIS IS THE OP'S 1ST POST.  MY ANTENNA IS UP.

Mine too...

@0Jeep4 , this thread is exactly what I was referencing. Many posters just jump right in, not knowing anything about the "intentions" of the OP.

Everyone needs to be EXTREMELY careful with responses, as to not get caught up in a "sting"...

• Like 2

I agree that the post is a little unusual BUT there is nothing illegal about someone paying for someone else's gun.

Straw purchase is when one person purchases a gun for someone who is not eligible to purchase themselves. The "Straw" part is the original buyer put the gun in their name, not the end-user's name because they could not do it themselves. 

The OP's question was unusual, but clear - can his parents go to a gun store and purchase a gun, not take possession and have it sent to an FFL in Calf. for legal transfer to the son / daughter - answer is YES, period! This is a LEGAL transfer from one dealer to another, and it becomes the receiving dealers duty to LEGALLY transfer ownership to the person in Calf.

Let's not make this harder than it is.........................

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, kc17 said:

OP finds gun he wants, goes to FFL in Calif, calls Mom & Dad hands phone to FFL & they pay by CC?

Bingo. Or send a gift/debit card. Why would anyone want to tack on extra shipping and FFL fees to a purchase?

My curiosity wonders if the CA buyer wants a gun that's not on the CA approved list, and thinks this would bypass it.

• Agree 2

Maybe the OP can get a smart gun sent....

The only advice given should be to work with a local CA FFL. 

• Haha 1

My very first hand gun purchase WAS in fact, "a STRAW PURCHASE"!  In 1977 when I was only 18 years old I bought a hand gun.  With my HS graduation gift money.  My Dad & I both got P2P's from Old Bridge.  The old-fashioned kind w/ blue "carbon paper".  He "bought" the hand gun NEW from the store & I bought it "USED" from him within seconds of the original transfer.  At the FFL's counter.  With the FFL as a WITNESS!  The entire process took only an extra minute or two.  The addresses matched since I was living at home with my parents.  Dad's P2P was marked "New" & mine was marked "Used".  Same hand gun & same serial number!  The store owner stapled the two copies together & sent them to NJSP in West Trenton, NJ and I stapled our "Issuing Authority" copies together & sent them to George E. Gillard, CLEO at Old Bridge at the time.  George live on Bennet Lane, off Rt. 516 (but I digress).  PROVING A STRAW PURCHASE!

Only one problem, in 1977 the term, "STRAW PURCHASE", the law, the entire MESS wasn't invented YET, and fathers bought new hand guns this way every time their kids put one on a lay-away :)   

And we didn't wait for a NICS check either...

And the guy that sold me my first hand gun threw-in a box of shells--.357 Magnums--for free as a graduation gift (no log back then either)!

Yes, NJ used to be THAT FREE!

Today I fight for the FREEDOMS I ONCE HAD!  Some of you still don't realize that you can use brown craft paper & bakery string to make a "SECURELY TIED PACKAGE" and leave said package on your front seat while enroute to an exempt location...but I digress...

~R

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

My very first hand gun purchase WAS in fact, "a STRAW PURCHASE"!  In 1977 when I was only 18 years old I bought a hand gun.  With my HS graduation gift money.  My Dad & I both got P2P's from Old Bridge.  The old-fashioned kind w/ blue "carbon paper".  He "bought" the hand gun NEW from the store & I bought it "USED" from him within seconds of the original transfer.  At the FFL's counter.  With the FFL as a WITNESS!  The entire process took only an extra minute or two.  The addresses matched since I was living at home with my parents.  Dad's P2P was marked "New" & mine was marked "Used".  Same hand gun & same serial number!  The store owner stapled the two copies together & sent them to NJSP in West Trenton, NJ and I stapled our "Issuing Authority" copies together & sent them to George E. Gillard, CLEO at Old Bridge at the time.  George live on Bennet Lane, off Rt. 516 (but I digress).  PROVING A STRAW PURCHASE!

Only one problem, in 1977 the term, "STRAW PURCHASE", the law, the entire MESS wasn't invented YET, and fathers bought new hand guns this way every time their kids put one on a lay-away :)   

And the guy that sold me my first hand gun threw-in a box of shells--.357 Magnums--for free as a graduation gift (no log back then either)!

Today I fight for the FREEDOMS I ONCE HAD!  Some of you still don't realize that you can use brown craft paper & bakery string to make a "SECURELY TIED PACKAGE" and leave said package on your front seat while enroute to an exempt location...but I digress...

~R

My father used to bring his shotgun to high school in the morning and then leave with it and go hunting after school.  This was in Netcong NJ in late 50s. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Mine too...

@0Jeep4 , this thread is exactly what I was referencing. Many posters just jump right in, not knowing anything about the "intentions" of the OP.

Everyone needs to be EXTREMELY careful with responses, as to not get caught up in a "sting"...

Why not give the correct and legal answer assuming the OP is not a sock puppet. 

• Agree 4

16 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Why not give the correct and legal answer assuming the OP is not a sock puppet. 

Or listen to our Ffl’s here that actually know what they are talking about? The paranoia is confounding 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Paranoid is a good label.  I'm proud to wear it.  My "Spidey Sense" is still tingling.  It's 9:30 am in Kali, so where's the OP?

Nothing wrong with being suspicious.... but i don't see a reason people cant answer the question or offer alternative ways to reach his intended goal..

It's not like he asked the forum where to get 30 round mags in NJ... HA!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

Bingo. Or send a gift/debit card. Why would anyone want to tack on extra shipping and FFL fees to a purchase?

My curiosity wonders if the CA buyer wants a gun that's not on the CA approved list, and thinks this would bypass it.

I think it does bypass the list. I have done it before.

27 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Paranoid is a good label.  I'm proud to wear it.  My "Spidey Sense" is still tingling.  It's 9:30 am in Kali, so where's the OP?

Paranoia can be debilitating. Aren’t we supposed to be making friends and influencing people?

16 minutes ago, PK90 said:

I think it does bypass the list. I have done it before.

I would think a CA FFL would be bound by CA law for any handgun they transferred, whether purchased in state or not.

But I suppose the law could specify 'purchase' and not 'transfer'. 

6 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Nothing wrong with being suspicious.... but i don't see a reason people cant answer the question or offer alternative ways to reach his intended goal..

It's not like he asked the forum where to get 30 round mags in NJ... HA!

LOL!  Folks can answer however they'd like.  It's a free country (well except for gun control, Murphy mags, ammo logs, OGAM, Justifiable Need blocking carry by commoners, NJFPID w/ a 4 yr time limit--they DID try that shit already, fingerprinting every two years or at a CLEO's will to do so, directly to & from BS, and who knows how many more).  

If the dude is legit, and the gun is currently mass-produced & NOT a one-of-a-kind custom made from a meteorite (like the famous Cabot 1911 for $100K+), then a Gift Card wrapped with a cute bow does the trick.

Can a FFL ship to another FFL w/o indicating a Buyer at final point-of-sale?  Of course, done all the time.  With not just retail FFL's I might add (Manufacturers too).

This guy says he "qualifies" to own a hand gun in Kali.  He doesn't even say he has the clearance and/or paperwork to YET do so. 

If I'm wrong about this, it won't be the first time I was ever wrong.  I remain cautiously optimistic that this Kali resident will follow all BATF&E legalities.  Skirting Kali law could, at some point, come back to bite one in the arse.  FFL or not...

~R

2 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I would think a CA FFL would be bound by CA law for any handgun they transferred, whether purchased in state or not.

But I suppose the law could specify 'purchase' and not 'transfer'. 

Search of CA law shows that the handgun need not be on the roster to be transferred from a family member. However, in this instance, the parents need to take possession first in order to comply with the Roster Bypass.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Search of CA law shows that the handgun need not be on the roster to be transferred from a family member. However, in this instance, the parents need to take possession first in order to comply with the Roster Bypass.

So noted.

9 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Paranoia can be debilitating. Aren’t we supposed to be making friends and influencing people?

Paranoia to some is experience to others.  It comes in several flavors, just like ice cream (or Crock Pot Ribs) on a hot day :) 

Gun Control elements sometimes pose unique, somewhat technical transfer questions looking to mine information on the very technicalities we enjoy.  Where do ya think Murphy found out about how inherited pieces of metal & wood are passed-down thru a family?  Maybe HERE on this very info source?  He did want to end family members inheriting dad's WW2 GI .45 w/o a P2P... 

Always lookin' to make friends.  And after gettin' 200+ email notifications about ribs, I'm startin' to get HUNGRY, lol!

Stay COOL my friend.

~R

37 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Ah, yes.  So this is the most likely scenario.   The problem is that the parents have to execute a Permit to Purchase a Pistol on a non roster firearm. 

I wonder if there is an "intent to bypass roster" law in Commiefornia?   If not, then by all means, have the parents buy it from an FFL and transfer via FFL to his CA FFL of choice and take legal possession of it from said FFL, satisfying all state and federal gun laws.

If these kinds of transfers get noticed, CA anti gun liberal douchebag politicians will probably start stumping around at campaign stops in front of microphones "WE NEED TO  PLUG THE ROSTER LOOPHOLE!!  IF IT SAVES JUST ONE CHILD, IT WILL BE WORTH IT!!"

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Ah, yes.  So this is the most likely scenario.   The problem is that the parents have to execute a Permit to Purchase a Pistol on a non roster firearm. 

I wonder if there is an "intent to bypass roster" law in Commiefornia?   If not, then by all means, have the parents buy it from an FFL and transfer via FFL to his CA FFL of choice and take legal possession of it from said FFL, satisfying all state and federal gun laws.

If these kinds of transfers get noticed, CA anti gun liberal douchebag politicians will probably start stumping around at campaign stops in front of microphones "WE NEED TO  PLUG THE ROSTER LOOPHOLE!!  IF IT SAVES JUST ONE CHILD, IT WILL BE WORTH IT!!"

We need to develop our own form of jury nullification here. Like everyone’s friend in pa that lives next to the Walmart parking lot

As I have always understood it, the inheritance clause in the law was actually pushed by the police union. 

They didnt want their wives or children turned-into instant felons by New Jersey's stupid laws.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

~R

Never knew P2P went back that far. Was the process to get them similar to now?