bluelyn

NJ parents want to gift me a handgun. Do they need FID?

57 minutes ago, W2MC said:

As I have always understood it, the inheritance clause in the law was actually pushed by the police union. 

They didnt want their wives or children turned-into instant felons by New Jersey's stupid laws.

^^^^THIS^^^^

One of the MANY reasons, to this day, that a NJFPID card is NOT needed to OWN OR TRANSPORT firearms, only PURCHASE them!

Riddle me this Batman:  Please name a single (just ONE) Police Widow that was arrested for taking her late husbands off-duty hand gun to the range to practice.  And up until just recently, the range would SELL HER AMMO w/o her showing a NJFPID.  Hell, I betcha even today, Joe Commode or one of his 4 Pink Card holders would "sell themselves the ammo" (log-in the ledger w/ their own name) & then hand her the box across the counter!  "Badge Americard" & "membership has its' privileges" :) 

1 hour ago, WP22 said:

Never knew P2P went back that far. Was the process to get them similar to now?

YES!  Very similar to the current "Old Way", w/ references mailed a form on PD letterhead!

Real INK rollers & fingerprint cards (yes, I know how to roll my own prints, the Cops showed me!).  A 1-pg application for both Yellow Card (NJFPID for you whippersnappers) AND long gun, as well as a Mental Health form "All-in-one".  

Hand gun P2P's back then were known as "NJ Firearm Permit to Purchase Pistol or Revolver".  Nothing said "Hand Gun" OR "Form of Register" on the Permit.

As I worked for the Old Bridge Police with an "Off-Campus Study Program" at age 15 while a sophomore in HS, in their Photo Lab (in the basement next to the jail cells) developing 4 x 5 cut film & making both mug shot contact prints & 8 x 10's from crime scene images (yes, even homicides), everybody from the Chief on down knew me.  Took an entire work week to get my first P2P.  Sat on Gillard's desk for 2 days waiting for him to sign it.  My Photo Lab Boss was the Det. Sgt. in charge of the Records Bureau.  He printed me wet :) 

Back then it was "are you sure you only need 2 permits"?  And you could buy 12 hand guns in a single day if ya had the dough to pay for it all.  

Ah, the Good 'Ol Days :) 

37 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Pretty much, but he had to tie the horses up outside. 

HA!  I might have used my bicycle to pick up my first permit!??

37 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Bluelyn:  as of 6:15 pm

Last on: 17 hours ago

@W2MC So, let's see if I get this straight, shall we?

You join a gun forum, and instead of lurking for a day or two to get used to the gist of things, OR introducing yourself on the Intro Thread, you...WITH YOUR VERY FIRST POST ON A GUN FORUM, do initiate a thread requiring that you...

1.  Jump onto the Legal Threads and set-up a somewhat advanced scenario in which you want someone (your parents) to send you a non-Kali compliant(?)  hand gun TO KALI so you can use a little-known work-around to get a hand gun that's not on the goody-two-shoes List, and....

2. After immediately (within an hour!) ascertaining that this group would desire you to simply use a gift card to buy the hand gun yourself IN KALI, you BAIL, never to be seen or heard from again (in now going on 18 hours). 

Did I MISS something?? :) 

• Agree 1

I sometimes suspect its more like some media outlet/political operative trying to provoke a questionable answer; then running to the mountaintops to proclaim "There's illegal activity on the Internet!  They're telling folks how to circumvent our gun laws!" 

To complete their self-created soap opera, they present their "solution" (more restrictions and hoops to jump thru) as the "common-sense solution" to the scenario they created in the first place.

Unfortunately, this is what the libs call "politics"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, W2MC said:

I sometimes suspect its more like some media outlet/political operative trying to provoke a questionable answer; then running to the mountaintops to proclaim "There's illegal activity on the Internet!  They're telling folks how to circumvent our gun laws!" 

To complete their self-created soap opera, they present their "solution" (more restrictions and hoops to jump thru) as the "common-sense solution" to the scenario they created in the first place.

Unfortunately, this is what the libs call "politics"

^^^^Totally agree!  My antenna goes up for this sorta thing.  Call it "gut instinct".  Whatever it is, it has served me well.

Some fish take the bait.  You & I know when to spit out the hook :)   

40 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

@W2MC So, let's see if I get this straight, shall we?

You join a gun forum, and instead of lurking for a day or two to get used to the gist of things, OR introducing yourself on the Intro Thread, you...WITH YOUR VERY FIRST POST ON A GUN FORUM, do initiate a thread requiring that you...

1.  Jump onto the Legal Threads and set-up a somewhat advanced scenario in which you want someone (your parents) to send you a non-Kali compliant(?)  hand gun TO KALI so you can use a little-known work-around to get a hand gun that's not on the goody-two-shoes List, and....

2. After immediately (within an hour!) ascertaining that this group would desire you to simply use a gift card to buy the hand gun yourself IN KALI, you BAIL, never to be seen or heard from again (in now going on 18 hours). 

Did I MISS something?? :) 

But in your scenario didn’t the “system” work?  Someone asked a somewhat suspect question. Folk’s answers were both taking it on face value but also exceptionally legal. 

Im also completely sure that had the question been less thinly veiled, folks would have immediately called out OP. 

1 minute ago, voyager9 said:

But in your scenario didn’t the “system” work?  Someone asked a somewhat suspect question. Folk’s answers were both taking it on face value but also exceptionally legal. 

Im also completely sure that had the question been less thinly veiled, folks would have immediately called out OP. 

Yes, the system worked, sort-of.  Once a FFL saw this for what it was (by looking-up the Kali law), THEN the system worked.  And I'm thrilled it did!  Proud of you guys actually.  Except for @brucin cause I kan't ride no Mastodons in the summer.  Too HOT for that hairy shite!

~R

2 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Yes, the system worked, sort-of.  Once a FFL saw this for what it was (by looking-up the Kali law), THEN the system worked.  And I'm thrilled it did!  Proud of you guys actually.  Except for @brucin cause I kan't ride no Mastodons in the summer.  Too HOT for that hairy shite!

~R

Just having some fun with you Rosey:D

4 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Real INK rollers & fingerprint cards (yes, I know how to roll my own prints, the Cops showed me!).  A 1-pg application for both Yellow Card (NJFPID for you whippersnappers) AND long gun, as well as a Mental Health form "All-in-one".  

Hand gun P2P's back then were known as "NJ Firearm Permit to Purchase Pistol or Revolver".  Nothing said "Hand Gun" OR "Form of Register" on the Permit.

And in the winter we when we went to the PD we had to carry the horses on our backs and it was up hill both ways too. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BobA said:

And in the winter we when we went to the PD we had to carry the horses on our backs and it was up hill both ways too. 

You funny Bob, lol!  I'd be lucky to carry a Jackass on my back, and then someone would point to us & say, "Hey LOOK IT'S A PAIR OF JACKASSES", at which point I'd laugh so hard I'd drop the poor animal & then it would kick me in the nutz for droppin' him :) 

13 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

THIS IS THE OP'S 1ST POST.  MY ANTENNA IS UP.

What do YOU see here?

I see the OP starting this thread at midnight, then NOT coming back to participate in it all day.... hmmmmm....

What do YOU see?

Wow, I didn't expect this would start such a paranoid flame war. Just had a question and I figured this forum would be the best place to ask it on.

Just to put some fears to rest, I am a legal gun owner in "Commiefornia" (we do exist). My parents simply wanted to get me a special gift as a surprise for my birthday later this year, but I wanted to make sure they wouldn't get themselves in trouble or anything. Thanks to everyone who offered some much needed legal advice. I'll let them know about getting me a gift card as an option instead if they don't want to deal with the hassle as well. Thanks for your time!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluelyn said:

hbWow, I didn't expect this would start such a paranoid flame war. Just had a question and I figured this forum would be the best place to ask it on.

Just to put some fears to rest, I am a legal gun owner in "Commiefornia" (we do exist). My parents simply wanted to get me a special gift as a surprise for my birthday later this year, but I wanted to make sure they wouldn't get themselves in trouble or anything. Thanks to everyone who offered some much needed legal advice. I'll let them know about getting me a gift card as an option instead if they don't want to deal with the hassle as well. Thanks for your time!

Please don't mind the negative comments.  We are a group that are constantly under attack and any new poster is met with a level of suspicion.  Welcome to our board!  Stick around and get to know us better....You won't regret it! 

Some FFL dealers responded to you that it is legal for your parents to gift you a gun without being able to take possession.

The general consensus is it would be much easier for you to pick out a gun in California and have your parents pay for it or reimburse you.  Good luck and you have very nice parents!:)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bluelyn said:

Wow, I didn't expect this would start such a paranoid flame war. Just had a question and I figured this forum would be the best place to ask it on.

When you post a question, you wait for an answer. Eleven minutes is not long to wait. A full day made you look like a troll.

• Like 1