samtechlan

Heritage Guild refused to sell me a glock magazine

A couple of days ago I was on my way to Easton Fish and Game and, as usual, stopped at Heritage and Sarco.  Heritage had a 33 round glock brand magazine which I decided to buy and then leave back in PA with a friend in Stroudsburg who I was planning to visit after the range.  The employee at the cash register first asked for my driver's license and then told me that it was company policy not to sell (normal) capacity magazines to NJ residents because it might jeopardize their NJ branches.  It's a bit ridiculous because their records would show that it was sold in PA, where it is perfectly legal, and NOT in their Rahway or Branchburg stores.

As an aside I bought a couple of Magpul 27 round glock mags a few months ago which I keep in PA but wanted to try the 33 round glock brand for the sake of comparison.  The Magpuls have been 100% reliable through hundreds of rounds in a Ruger PC and a glock 19.    

Your from nj, you will shoot your eye out!

with nj suing everyone for even having a web site, I can understand them being safe than sorry. How do they know you are not an undercover da trying to snag them? I am surprised this site is still up, with all these evil dangerous pictures, and talk of supporting the constitution. A radical site indeed!

5 hours ago, SW9racer said:

Your from nj, you will shoot your eye out!

with nj suing everyone for even having a web site, I can understand them being safe than sorry. How do they know you are not an undercover da trying to snag them? I am surprised this site is still up, with all these evil dangerous pictures, and talk of supporting the constitution. A radical site indeed!

lol.  believe me, when the site started, was docsed...  Since then, private registrations and site is hosted in Michigan and domain is registered overseas. 

To answer the OP's question... company policy.

Realistically though, if you are at Heritage at Easton, stop wasting your money and go 1/4 mile and visit 507 Outfitters.  Far better prices and warm and friendly, and knowledgeable staff.  www.507outfitters.com

The question I would have is... "Why the hell do they need your DL to buy a magazine?"

There is one store in Allentown area that does require a DL, but that is because officially, they need to be a membership store..   I don't believe Heritage has that issue.

I had a private seller who declined to sell me 7.62x39 mags AND ammo a few months back.  I told him i would be keeping the mags at my parents house (with the others!) and he wanted me to have my 75 year old father make the purchase.  I'm glad I bought what i did before i sacrificed my Pennsylvania driver's license.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:07 PM, Underdog said:

As a side note, Heritage Guild is expensive snd it sucks. 

You aren't kidding. I went out there to meet a guy selling a clay thrower a few weeks ago. Decided to go in and look around. I decided to buy an item and was told my old rewards card wasn't valid and they needed to take all of my info again. I told them I wanted to skip it and just buy the item. I was told he needed just to complete the purchase, even though I was paying cash. I promptly put the item down and left. The item in question was a $12 Dry Box:angry:. Needless to say I won't be going in there too much any more.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:07 PM, Underdog said:

As a side note, Heritage Guild is expensive snd it sucks. 

And they will make up rules and tell you that it is the law. They then get mad when you call them on it a say show me the law. Try it next time you are there it is fun.

7 hours ago, Redlines said:

And they will make up rules and tell you that it is the law. They then get mad when you call them on it a say show me the law. Try it next time you are there it is fun.

It's funny that you mention that...

I went there incognito, i.e. don't mention NJGF, etc.   I talk to one of the guys asking about suppressors.  More specifically...

"Hey, so if I buy a can from you, while it is sitting in ATF jail, can I shoot it here at the range?"

"No, until the tax stamp clears, I can't let you even touch it or see it, it's the LAW!"

That is when my eyes rolled.

One of the reasons to buy a can from a dealer with a range is that you have a place to shoot while you wait.  Yes, I get that you would have to make sure the can does not leave the premises but that was just over the top.

Speaking to their local competitors, it actually seems to be one or two employees that account for most of the major issues people have with them.

But this requiring someone's ID to buy anything... is just WTF. 

21 hours ago, Downtownv said:

Oaks Gun Show this weekend there's plenty of vendors who would be grateful for your business, and at better prices too!

Probably NOT after you factor in paying to get into the show. =)

On 7/21/2019 at 1:40 PM, SW9racer said:

How do they know you are not an undercover da trying to snag them?

It is not against the law for a US citizen to buy something legal to possess in a state where it is legal to possess.  It would be illegal to buy it on line and have it shipped to NJ.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 9:47 PM, Maksim said:

But seriously guys and gals... if you are going to Easton... just go to 507 Outfitters.  Much better prices and you won't get the guilty treatment. 

Thanks I'll keep these guys in mind the next time I'm out that way.

Sarco has had plenty of NJ grief in the past. They may be under a consent order in NJ that impacts the corp and for this reason has this policy. Alternatively, and even if not, they don't want to spend money on lawyers and fighting the State.

3 hours ago, SJG said:

Sarco has had plenty of NJ grief in the past. They may be under a consent order in NJ that impacts the corp and for this reason has this policy. Alternatively, and even if not, they don't want to spend money on lawyers and fighting the State.

Huge understatement. lol.  Missing guns, parts. 

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Huge understatement. lol.  Missing guns, parts. 

This stuff goes back to the 80s. IIRC the missing guns were stolen by an employee. Sarco didn't have problems with ATF, they had problems with the State of NJ.  

4 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

This stuff goes back to the 80s. IIRC the missing guns were stolen by an employee. Sarco didn't have problems with ATF, they had problems with the State of NJ.  

Um, I am fairly positive right before leaving NJ they had some issues again with missing guns/parts.  I think it was discussed here.

Or was it they had guns that were not on the books. lol.

Will get the full story from someone who really knows tomorrow.

Sarco and Heritage check ID's because they're so close to the border and don't want to deal with BS, like others said Heritage has NJ branches and SARCO still has their warehouse in NJ. The further west you go in to PA this isn't an issue....also been told Cabela's in Hamburg checks ID's as well probably because it's the closest Cabela's for NY and NJ.

10 hours ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

Sarco and Heritage check ID's because they're so close to the border and don't want to deal with BS, like others said Heritage has NJ branches and SARCO still has their warehouse in NJ. The further west you go in to PA this isn't an issue....also been told Cabela's in Hamburg checks ID's as well probably because it's the closest Cabela's for NY and NJ.

Sarco and Cabelas do not ID you for anything. Heritage is another story.