kc17

First Match & Public Thanks

Shot my first ever match today: IDPA at Somerset. Thanks to @Pizza Bob, @Mr.Stu & @Maksim for answering numerous questions, assistance and encouragement. Some guys there stood out as being helpful as well, but I don't know if they're members here. If so, chime in.

I almost didn't go based on a very bad impression I had at a different match/range that I walked away from after helping set-up but before registration. Today proved what I'd been told and how it should be; newbies are welcomed and there's no judgement as long as you're safe/don't do anything stupid. Overall I'm not a group type of a person, but today was good, small group, no attitudes, just hot. It was also more interesting than just punching holes in targets by myself. I plan to return; if only to make up for my poor score today.

If you've been on the fence like I was, I suggest you give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Shot my first ever match today: IDPA at Somerset. Thanks to @Pizza Bob, @Mr.Stu & @Maksim for answering numerous questions, assistance and encouragement. Some guys there stood out as being helpful as well, but I don't know if they're members here. If so, chime in.

I almost didn't go based on a very bad impression I had at a different match/range that I walked away from after helping set-up but before registration. Today proved what I'd been told and how it should be; newbies are welcomed and there's no judgement as long as you're safe/don't do anything stupid. Overall I'm not a group type of a person, but today was good, small group, no attitudes, just hot. It was also more interesting than just punching holes in targets by myself. I plan to return; if only to make up for my poor score today.

awesome!  I am glad you had a good time!  

"Practical" shooting adds and reinvents what shooting with a firearm can be for most gun owners, especially since for the vast majority, the "gun experience" is standing there in a port with others lined up and blasting paper.

IDPA, USPSA and other fun shoots add moving to the equation which completely changes the challenge.  At least for me, you are changing the equation from "How many rounds am I going to go through?" to "How do I best achieve the challenge by being the most accurate I can be versus the time."

IDPA is a great place to start as generally there is one way to shoot a course of fire.  The next challenge after that is USPSA where it is up to you to solve the course of fire and where accuracy becomes just one part of the total equation.  Moving and planning out your course of fire are equally as important.  The round counts are also higher.

But... I am really glad you had a good time.  This is how the vast majority of the matches are.  You just hit the lottery with your first one and ran into a clicky group.  Unfortunately there are clubs out there that run various matches that are for the boys in the club.  Vast majority of IDPA and USPSA matches are not. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Buy a sig yet?

4 minutes ago, kc17 said:

No, I didn't want to reduce available inventory for you. ^_^

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Buy a sig yet?

Nah, he is just wanting to make sure he is not the only one in the Sig P320 fanclub.... I mean, you drop a gun once and you get scared for life... you want others to be scared with. =)

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Maksim said:

Nah, he is just wanting to make sure he is not the only one in the Sig P320 fanclub.... I mean, you drop a gun once and you get scared for life... you want others to be scared with. =)

It’s not a canik ffs! 

26 minutes ago, Maksim said:

We actually mixed it up a bit today and the afternoon stages were shot with somebody else's gun - if you were willing to loan your gun to somebody else.

I took my P320 as it was the cleanest gun I have at the moment and @Pizza Bob was the lucky guy who gave up his revolver to somebody else and shot my P320 instead. I'll let Bob tell you how he did, but he didn't drop it and there were no unexpected bangs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

We actually mixed it up a bit today and the afternoon stages were shot with somebody else's gun - if you were willing to loan your gun to somebody else.

I took my P320 as it was the cleanest gun I have at the moment and @Pizza Bob was the lucky guy who gave up his revolver to somebody else and shot my P320 instead. I'll let Bob tell you how he did, but he didn't drop it and there were no unexpected bangs.

Not bad, for a bottom-feeder. I shot it well, just not fast. Either my eyes (probable) or the sights were a problem. Had night sights on the gun and they were tough for these old eyes to acquire quickly. All my competition guns have FO front sights. This was kind of an unintended quid-pro-quo as Stu has shot my guns a time or two. Nice gun, but I don't think I'll run out and buy one - purchased a S&W 929 instead.

Adios,

Pizza Bob