Scorpio64

JCP&L Outage Map

http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

The storm didn't seem too bad here in 07724, but 20 minutes after the storm passed, the power went out.  Running on generator now.  According to NJ 101.5, only Sandy surpassed this level of outages.

Just reading the story on APP, somehow all the nasty stuff missed us last night. According to JCP&L right now, 98K in Monmouth and 40K in Ocean are in the dark.... and this is over 12 hours later...

Got preps?

As far as storm severity right over my house last night's was less than some this spring/summer; but still the biggest impact. Power played on/off for about 30-45 mins; off consistently since about 6:30 last night. I'm realistically not expecting it back until very late today at best, probably sometime tomorrow though. I'm basing that on history, I'm in a less populated area, they go after the more populated areas first to get the larger % online faster. 

Well for once our power didn't go out. We're usually always the victim of big thunderstorms. (Should I turn Democrat?)

So our generator continues it's nap. Oh yeah, voltage all back to normal too around 121.

16 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Well for once our power didn't go out. We're usually always the victim of big thunderstorms. (Should I turn Democrat?)

So our generator continues it's nap. Oh yeah, voltage all back to normal too around 121.

Sussex didn't get hit by the storm cells that knocked out south and central jersey. I guess we got spared this time around. 

While the thunder and rain was heavy at times, the wind was relatively mild. 

Just now, JackDaWack said:

Sussex didn't get hit by the storm cells that knocked out south and central jersey. 

While the thunder and rain was heavy at times, the wind was relatively mild. 

OK, now I understand. We were down in Whitehouse Station that afternoon and on radar I saw a huge cell going over Sussex County. As it happened I had left one skylight opened and a slider. So I was pretty pissed. But when I got home no rain at all had blown in the slider, and (to some surprise) the skylight's rain sensor had closed it, even though I haven't properly positioned it.

So a small section of rug was damp, but that was it. Phew!

1 minute ago, 45Doll said:

OK, now I understand. We were down in Whitehouse Station that afternoon and on radar I saw a huge cell going over Sussex County. As it happened I had left one skylight opened and a slider. So I was pretty pissed. But when I got home no rain at all had blown in the slider, and (to some surprise) the skylight's rain sensor had closed it, even though I haven't properly positioned it.

So a small section of rug was damp, but that was it. Phew!

Yeah, i think the storms on Saturday/Sunday were worse up here. Rain was blowing completely sideways...

Central Jersey really got this one. Southeastern quarter of NJ got some decent storms but other than a couple trash cans falling over, it didn't get too crazy. I was surprised when my family north of me said they lost power. Atlantic City Electric has barely any outages in South Jersey. Though I did hear a tree or something fell down on the PATCO train tracks cancelling trips to and from Philly.

Yeah, this whole thing makes me realize just how fragile our electrical grid is. I mean, this was thunderstorms - not a massive hurricane like Sandy, or a terrible blizzard - just thunderstorms, right? I mean, look at all the massive power outages! Cray-cray.

9 hours ago, Sniper said:

Got preps?

I admit, I am most likely the least prepped person on this site. In some respects, I kind of live like a hippie. Minimal food in the cupboard, never have bottled water on-hand, and the only batteries in my house are either already installed in clocks and smoke detectors - or - I might have a few buried in my kitchen junk drawer (leaking acid!)... I'm apparently the kind of person that preppers love to laugh at!  I am... The Great Unprepped. :blush:

However, people can learn! And I've been thinking about this for awhile. I'm going to make just a VERY basic list of things that I should have on-hand --- bottled water, canned goods, batteries, candles, etc. - at least enough that would get me through 5-7 days in relative comfort. Nothing full-bore "prepper-crazy" mind you - I mean, don't expect to see me unveil my new prepper YouTube channel any time soon. :p

But, as a pragmatist...I have seen enough of these natural events causing chaos in the last several years to convince me that some minimal level of preparation is probably just common sense. I mean, hell, you hit the Shop-rite can-can sale, write dates on the items, stick them in a cabinet somewhere, use it up, replace regularly, etc. How hard can that be? Frankly, I don't see politicians - of either major party - really rallying to fund improvements to our electrical grid, for instance. I think that's a potential problem right there. It's a mess! 

Out near Asbury Park it was a crazy sudden storm.  I was a mile away from home at the store loading up my car when I saw weird clouds swirling - not dark, but low, moving fast and shooting out "tendrils" all over.

Got home about 5 minutes later, was unloading the car and it got a bit gray and started to sprinkle.  I just finished closing my car door and *WHAM*, wind went from 0 to probably a 60-70 mph sustained gust instantly.  No warning, just suddenly a blast of sustained wind - I got worried for a few seconds that it was a tornado.

I've got an aluminum flagpole in my front yard, the flag was straight out and the flagpole was flexing.  Branches and limbs started coming down all around the neighborhood and I saw a friggin umbrella flying a couple hundred feet overhead.

After about a minute the wind died down and it was just rain.