MB24

Is all 62gr 5.56 ammo green tip.

I generally use bulk 55gr ammo for my AR with a 1/7 twist. Want to try a heavier 62gr to see if accuracy improves but it seems all the 62gr ammo I see is green tip. Question one is, is all 62gr green tip and two, is it jersey legal.

M855 is Jersey legal, but dont expect any accuracy from it, it's garbage.  Besides the green tip range fodder, you can get 62gr in a variety of flavors, most commonly available is soft point, OTM and full metal jacket.  Several companies make 62gr OTM cartridges, but I can't say anything good or bad about them.  Your 1:7 barrel will stabilize bullets up to, at least, 77gr.  YOu may want to skip the 62gr non green tip and go for 69gr, 75gr and 77gr OTM to see what shoots best in your rifle.

1 minute ago, MB24 said:

more accuracy from a heavier bullet

Heavier bullets are inherently more accurate than lighter ones due to the higher ballistic coefficient.  But, you need a twist rate fast enough to stabilize heavier bullets.

I've been shooting 77 gr IMI for the last year and its pretty accurate, I can get 1" groups @ 100 yds.   2" @ 200 yds

This is off a shooting bag,  And I would say i'm just a average shooter  

Also try AO 55 gr SBK ammo  I get the same results @ 100 yds.

And I'm talking about off the shelf BA 16" carbine barrel.

With m855 62 gr ammo I get 3-4" groups @ 100yds  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

We use American Eagle 62 gr FMJ as training ammo. It’s accurate enough for us and is pretty inexpensive.

64gr FED TRU soft nose is our duty ammo.

The 62gr AE FMJBT are pretty decent manufactured ammo.

31 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

I've been shooting 77 gr IMI for the last year and its pretty accurate, I can get 1" groups @ 100 yds.   2" @ 200 yds

This is off a shooting bag,  And I would say i'm just a average shooter  

Also try AO 55 gr SBK ammo  I get the same results @ 100 yds.

And I'm talking about off the shelf BA 16" carbine barrel.

With m855 62 gr ammo I get 3-4" groups @ 100yds  

what twist?

Want a factory load that's heavier than 55gr m193 clones but not too pricey? 

Sales on IMI 77gr razorcore are about the best bang for the buck. I think I have seen it as low as $0.55 per round if you bought enough. 

I've been loading hornady 62gr bthp  bullets with decent results and works well in 3 gun out to 400 yards. After 400 yards, I'm not sure as I need to get better at that bit. Not a lot of opportunity to practice. 

You can get a load that is pretty close to my velocities in the form of  frontier 62gr bthp at about $0.45 a round. They also have a frontier 62gr jsp available.  Apparently they added 75gr bthp and 68 gr bthp loads. the 68s are a good bullet and are a couple bucks more per 500 round case than the 62.  Hornady steel match 75gr bthp is also avaiable for ~$0.45 a round. 

Me I just buy the 62 heads cheap and load them for about $0.23 a round. 

If money is no object, or at least $1 a round type of money isn't. There are a LOT of options for more accurate factory .223/5.56 ammo. 

• Like 1

OK. I did a 3 round shoot out with 10 different brands ( types )  of ammo Today.

It was nice outside today. R-14  I was shooting off a bag . Rifle is a build . w /a 4x12 vortex cf 2 

If you click on the pic 2-3 times its full size.

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

I purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in 556/223 about 18 months ago (i.e. before they discontinued it in that caliber).  It has a 1:7 twist rate.  Have been to the range with it six times and shot at 100 yards. My primary objective during all those visits was to test various brands and grain weights of ammo, most of which were match grade ammo(think $1-1.25 per round), to see what performed best.  Then I could focus my purchases on just those.  (Btw, I regard myself as a novice precision shooter.  However I did stay in a Holiday Inn, lol.)  Shot from a bench with a bi-pod in front and a mono-pod in rear of rifle.

I compiled the results into a spreadsheet, and fortunately a pattern did emerge.  As expected 70 and higher grain weights performed best.

Not sure if these results will apply equally to a semi-auto AR with 1:7 twist.  Perhaps barrel length may also matter.

The results are shown in the screenshot below.    Those in Red are all over 1 MOA.  Thus off my shopping list. Notice they were generally the lighter grain weights.

The two standouts are the SigSauer #E223M1 and Hornady #80267 which averaged 0.678  and 0.784 respectively.  The Hornady is a bit less expensive at .75 per round. whereas the Sig is $1/round.  For me, rows 2 thru 6 are now my "go to" rounds when shopping for precision ammo for my RPR.  

There is still a place for the cheaper 55 grain stuff. E.g. for warming up, shooting steel plates at 100 yards,  etc.  So will usually also have some of that on had.

image.thumb.png.33c1037abf04bb50e33c5e40c4ff7edd.png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

I purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in 556/223 about 18 months ago (i.e. before they discontinued it in that caliber).  It has a 1:7 twist rate.  Have been to the range with it six times and shot at 100 yards. My primary objective during all those visits was to test various brands and grain weights of ammo, most of which were match grade ammo(think $1-1.25 per round), to see what performed best.  Then I could focus my purchases on just those.  (Btw, I regard myself as a novice precision shooter.  However I did stay in a Holiday Inn, lol.)  Shot from a bench with a bi-pod in front and a mono-pod in rear of rifle.

I compiled the results into a spreadsheet, and fortunately a pattern did emerge.  As expected 70 and higher grain weights performed best.

Not sure if these results will apply equally to a semi-auto AR with 1:7 twist.  Perhaps barrel length may also matter.

The results are shown in the screenshot below.    Those in Red are all over 1 MOA.  Thus off my shopping list. Notice they were generally the lighter grain weights.

The two standouts are the SigSauer #E223M1 and Hornady #80267 which averaged 0.678  and 0.784 respectively.  The Hornady is a bit less expensive at .75 per round. whereas the Sig is $1/round.  For me, rows 2 thru 6 are now my "go to" rounds when shopping for precision ammo for my RPR.  

There is still a place for the cheaper 55 grain stuff. E.g. for warming up, shooting steel plates at 100 yards,  etc.  So will usually also have some of that on had.

image.thumb.png.33c1037abf04bb50e33c5e40c4ff7edd.png

Awesome data points!