this_is_nascar

Federal Capital Punishment Back On?

I'm very much against the death penalty carried out by the government.  Essentially for three or four reasons.  

One, people have been proven innocent.  Rare but it does happen.

Two, it's the governmnet.  They mess just about everything up.  And I don't like the idea of giving them that option or level of power over citizens.

Three, it's been proven that it costs about the same to keep people in prison for life as it does to execute them.  People on death row use every trick in the book to either delay the sentence or fight it.  It costs about the same to keep someone locked up as it does to execute them.

Four, it's not a deterrent.  To be a deterrent the sentence must be carried out swiftly and certainly  That never happens.  The death sentence doesn't deter anything.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

Except recidivism.

Well, "individual recidivism" for sure... 

In any event, I have always believed (and I'm sure Glen can verify from our previous "discussions"), that Capital Punishment really shouldn't serve that purpose, or any other purpose, except one...  to be that "necessary and sufficient measure of justice..." for the committed crime and the circumstances surrounding it.  It's all about the justice.... at least for me. It's all about the pursuit of justice for the victims of those crimes... especially those that are no longer with us to fight on their own. We fight for them,  and their surviving families.  I don't care about recidivism, deterrence or any of those other things. If they happen, then so much the better, but the only thing that matters to me is the service of justice.  Is the justice system perfect?  Absolutely not.  And we need to do much better at ensuring that those who deserve Capital Punishment actually do. Does it cost a lot of $$$?  Absolutely. But should cost be an excuse to deny justice to victims (and survivors) that deserve it?   I think not.

Thus, again, the one and only one question to be asked and answered is, "Are there crimes and circumstances for which the 'forfeiture of life' is that necessary and sufficient measure of justice?" 

My answer:  Yes.

8 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

Except recidivism.

That's an incredibly stupid argument. People who are facing the death sentence aren't looking at light sentences in the absence of the death sentence, they are looking at life without parole. They aren't coming out to re-offend. 

That being said, I do believe death is a legitimate punishment for some crimes. SOCIETY in general should be able to exact this punishment on those who cross that line. However, the system enacting that punishment is the same fucked up system we don't trust to be the only one's armed and have a history of being immoral, self-serving shit heads. I do not trust them to do the right thing, honestly in general. Adding to that the fact there is an equal or higher cost to the death penalty than to locking someone up for life, I don't see the benefit of doing it. In fact, from the perspective of the power of the people vs the government, the opportunity to remedy the fuckery of self serving shit heads holding office, even if poorly and incompletely, is a power that is good to reserve to the people. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I'm very much against the death penalty carried out by the government.  Essentially for three or four reasons.  

One, people have been proven innocent.  Rare but it does happen.

Two, it's the governmnet.  They mess just about everything up.  And I don't like the idea of giving them that option or level of power over citizens.

Three, it's been proven that it costs about the same to keep people in prison for life as it does to execute them.  People on death row use every trick in the book to either delay the sentence or fight it.  It costs about the same to keep someone locked up as it does to execute them.

Four, it's not a deterrent.  To be a deterrent the sentence must be carried out swiftly and certainly  That never happens.  The death sentence doesn't deter anything.

It's time to lock her up. Nothing more needs to be said except, I'm perplexed so many are willing to accept the government's word that the process is fair, equitable, transparant, unbiased and devoided of political motivations. 

Do you really want the same political system that devised the NJ gun laws ( I know this is federal but the point remains) to devise and be in charge of a system that determines the life and death of a citizen? Da fuck not, at least until we can reverse death.

• Agree 1