MartyZ

Vanity plates

On 7/26/2019 at 7:17 PM, Bklynracer said:

I would hope the system would tell you it's already taken, like when sign up for a new email on aol, gmail, or Yahoo!. It tells you it's already being used.

But then again it's the DMV, Think there still in the 90's

The NJ DMV?   They're still in the 50's..... :mad:

6 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

The NJ DMV?   They're still in the 50's..... :mad:

I hope you mean the 1850's.

Here's an unrelated question that I think I know the answer to. If you have an old NJ license plate that is becoming unreadable due to the yellow lamination coming off do you have to buy a new set? Can you just swap them out?

35 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Here's an unrelated question that I think I know the answer to. If you have an old NJ license plate that is becoming unreadable due to the yellow lamination coming off do you have to buy a new set? Can you just swap them out?

Something like the 1850's.   See this earlier thread I started on "Bureaucracy Battles..." back when I first joined NJGF...

I honestly don't know the answer to your 2nd question...

2 hours ago, Handyman said:

You pay for new plates. It’s a “ damaged plate” did it many a time with my enduro bike.  

Memory is a bit hazy, already been a few years since i did mine. First off, have to do registration (if near expiration) before you can do plate. I wasn't allowed to proceed until renewed, i had hoped to do it all at once.

Far as i recall i could put a few options in in terms of choices. It denied my first pick on the spot, so it apparently knows what is taken. Payment was immediate once an available plate was chosen. Dunno bout refunds as i got my plates.

Was ~$50 one time fee. Think they send a pink card showing any cops pulling you over why your "old" plates are on the car, but i got my plates fairly quickly, no issues.

I was disappointed that even custom plates are no longer stamped metal.