PK90

Equifax Data Breach Settlement

You are eligible to get some funds as part of this settlement, even if you didn't have to spend any time or money to fix the damage it caused. If your info was included in the data breach, you can still collect $125 from the settlement. More info including links to check if your information was part of it, here: 
https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-p ... settlement

• Thanks 3

According to this, you can't get a settlement, just because.  You have to prove that you were impacted, monetarily.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/equifax-breach-see-if-youre-eligible-how-to-file-a-claim-and-see-what-youll-get/

• Disagree 1

We were both exposed by the data breech. Our joint debit card was compromised recently, so there’s my ‘proof’ of impact. 

Navy Federal Credit Union took care of everything, and we experienced no financial loss. Other than a couple of days waiting on new credit/debit cards, it was pretty painless. 

32 minutes ago, this_is_nascar said:

According to this, you can't get a settlement, just because.  You have to prove that you were impacted, monetarily.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/equifax-breach-see-if-youre-eligible-how-to-file-a-claim-and-see-what-youll-get/

The 125 is a standard buy out.... if you want to file a claim you can provide the necessary documents and i believe they will cover up to $20,000 in loses... 

The free 10 years of credit monitoring is well worth it if you didn't lose anything.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

I would bet the downside to the $125 is you give up you right to sue Equifax if they cause you to get hacked and it costs you money.

You win the Blue Ribbon!    The check is the release!

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

I would bet the downside to the $125 is you give up you right to sue Equifax if they cause you to get hacked and it costs you money.

Oooh the right to sue. Prove they were the first and only to leak your data. Hmm can't? Take the $125. It's literally 10x the typical settlement I've seen from companies that directly stole my money. I'm also perpetually multiple layers deep in courtesy credit monitoring from shithead companies. On top of that, it's not like a bajillion companies won't be giving you the same opportunity in the future without having ever paid you off any. 

Take the $125 and protect your stuff. Place a freeze on all three agencies. Since this shit went down, none of them charge any more for an unfreeze. It's a pain in the ass when you want to apply for credit, but I have done it a couple of times. If they hadn't reduced the fee I'd be claiming that too. 

16 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

That's why I called it a buy out. 

If you take their credit monitoring service... It's almost like the exact opposite. They are now liable for monitoring your credit for 10 years 

59 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’ll let them monitor our credit for 10 years.

Are you sure you want the people who let your information out in the first place, to monitor your credit?

Isn't that like letting the fox guard the hen house?

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Are you sure you want the people who let your information out in the first place, to monitor your credit?

Isn't that like letting the fox guard the hen house?

In all seriousness, isn't that the one thing they're good at?

besides, they already ran out of money and people will be lucky to get 5 dollars..

31 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

In all seriousness, isn't that the one thing they're good at?

Any chance this could be job security? First, let the data "leak" out, then come back and sign tons of people up for credit monitoring because of it. Kinda "self-creating" a business boom?

4 hours ago, fishnut said:

How is having to provide free services for 10 years a business boom? 

Because the OTHER 100+ million people  in the country want to sign up for monitoring so they don't get caught in the next one in the future. Don't understand marketing, do ya?

25 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Because the OTHER 100+ million people  in the country want to sign up for monitoring so they don't get caught in the next one in the future. Don't understand marketing, do ya?

And you think that people will flock to the company that had a massive data breach and pay them to monitor their credit than go with another company that has not had a data breach or maybe one of the free credit monitoring services. I understand marketing just fine.

What's with your constant personal attacks with anyone who has a difference of opinion? It's really annoying and childish 

47 minutes ago, fishnut said:

And you think that people will flock to the company that had a massive data breach and pay them to monitor their credit than go with another company that has not had a data breach or maybe one of the free credit monitoring services. I understand marketing just fine.

Maybe you don't understand the credit monitoring or identity theft market and services. When you sign up with one of the monitoring services, it includes monitoring from the big 3, so indirectly, you are "flocking" to that same company, but you knew that, right?. To put a freeze on your credit can also cost a few dollars more, depending on the company.

So, if concerned people sign up with a big credit monitoring service because they want the protection, say like Lifelock or Privacy Guard, etc., indirectly, they're pulling services from Equifax, which is NEW, additional business for them.  Here, this link might help you understand.

https://www.lifelock.com/learn-identity-theft-resources-identity-theft-protection-vs-credit-monitoring.html

55 minutes ago, fishnut said:

What's with your constant personal attacks with anyone who has a difference of opinion? It's really annoying and childish 

I asked you a question, why are you so sensitive?  Projecting?

22 hours ago, Sniper said:

Any chance this could be job security? First, let the data "leak" out, then come back and sign tons of people up for credit monitoring because of it. Kinda "self-creating" a business boom?

No.

17 hours ago, Sniper said:

Possibly

15 hours ago, Sniper said:

So, if concerned people sign up with a big credit monitoring service because they want the protection, say like Lifelock or Privacy Guard, etc., indirectly, they're pulling services from Equifax, which is NEW, additional business for them. 

People are unlikely to sign up with the company that leaked. So as you stated odds are any new monitoring customers that aren't getting ten years free are going to be giving money to your competitors.

This isn't marketing, this is trying to pay a portion of their find back to themselves as the service provider. Just like we have laws preventing criminals from profiting by their acts in the form of books and memorabilia and such, companies that leak should not be able to direct any settlement funds or fines back to themselves directly.

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

People are unlikely to sign up with the company that leaked. So as you stated odds are any new monitoring customers that aren't getting ten years free are going to be giving money to your competitors.

Just like Fishnut, you don't understand how credit monitoring works either. If someone decides, after being in the breach by Equifax, they need credit monitoring, and sign up with one of the big monitoring companies, because they won't go back to Equifax, and want to go to a "competitor"....  Guess what?

All the major credit monitoring companies network together with the Big 3 credit report companies. Equifax is one of them. So, like I said above, they might think they didn't sign up with Equifax, but indirectly, they did.

How many indirect customers do you think Equifax got after this breach, outside of the free monitoring they offered directly?

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Just like Fishnut, you don't understand how credit monitoring works either. If someone decides, after being in the breach by Equifax, they need credit monitoring, and sign up with one of the big monitoring companies, because they won't go back to Equifax, and want to go to a "competitor"....  Guess what?

All the major credit monitoring companies network together with the Big 3 credit report companies. Equifax is one of them. So, like I said above, they might think they didn't sign up with Equifax, but indirectly, they did.

How many indirect customers do you think Equifax got after this breach, outside of the free monitoring they offered directly?

Credit monitoring is a bunch of soft pulls. They won't be seeing their  $30 million cash find payed back anytime soon.

It wasn't a marketing ploy. It is once again trying to mitigate the cost and avoid responsibility, but after the fact.

Just got an email asking for proof of monitoring service from date I filed my claim or amend to accept their free service. Anyone else hear from them?

You must either verify or amend your claim by October 15, 2019. 

If you do not, your claim for alternative compensation will be denied.
To verify your claim for alternative compensation, you must provide the name of your credit monitoring service that you had in place when you filed your claim.
OR -
You can amend your claim to request free credit monitoring instead of alternative compensation.