PK90

Equifax Data Breach Settlement

19 minutes ago, njpilot said:

Just got an email asking for proof of monitoring service from date I filed my claim or amend to accept their free service. Anyone else hear from them?

Yes. Same email.

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

Got that yesterday.  Funny, I don't remember that part when I filed.

Yeah, I don't either, but someone else mentioned it after. I've been meaning to sign up for Credit Sesame as, I think Raz-O suggested, but never did. 

Gonna sign up now. Don't know if they would be able to find out how long you've had them.

Got same just now.   

They didn’t ask in the original form.  Now they are moving the bar.  Notice it says you must verify the credit monitoring you had at the time you filed.  Which sounds like adding one now doesn’t count in their eyes.  Not sure how they’d check that.

But if you have a Capital One card you may already have their Credit Wise monitoring service.  Discover has a similar service.  So maybe no need for many to sign up for anything new.

Then again...if you have a Cap One card.... your info was likely compromised in their breach.  

On 8/3/2019 at 10:06 AM, 45Doll said:

For those of you that filed and got an email I posted about getting, the 15th of Oct is the deadline to amend, which is what I'm going to do.

This is from 45Doll's earlier posted link:

Sorry, you’re not getting $125 from the Equifax settlement, FTC says

Payout pool is too full, so FTC urges consumers to get free credit monitoring instead

Remember that $125 you could have gotten from the Equifax Inc. data-breach settlement? Yeah, never mind.

The Federal Trade Commission announced Wednesday that, due to an overwhelming response, cash payments aren’t going to be anywhere near $125 each, and urged consumers to sign up for the free credit monitoring offered as an alternative.

2 hours ago, Greenday said:

Yes, because who wouldn't trust a company with all of their personal and financial information to a company that easily got hacked stealing our personal and financial information?

Any idea what personal and financial data all those apps on your phone siphon off every day?

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Any idea what personal and financial data all those apps on your phone siphon off every day?

You mean flashlight apps don't actually need our personal call info, access to our photos/videos, and access to our microphone/speaker?

From the FAQ of the original link:

5. I thought I could choose $125 instead of free credit monitoring. What happened?

The public response to the settlement has been overwhelming. Because the total amount available for the alternative compensations is $31 million, each person who takes the money option is likely to get a very small amount. Nowhere near the $125 they could have gotten if there hadn’t been such an enormous number of claims filed.

The free credit monitoring provides a much better value, and everyone whose information was exposed can take advantage of it. If your information was exposed in the data breach, and you file a valid claim before the deadline, you are guaranteed at least four years of free monitoring at all three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and $1,000,000 of identity theft insurance, among other benefits. The market value of this product is hundreds of dollars per year. 

You can still choose the cash option on the claim form, but you will be disappointed with the amount you receive and you won’t get the free credit monitoring.

8 hours ago, Greenday said:

Yes, because who wouldn't trust a company with all of their personal and financial information to a company that easily got hacked stealing our personal and financial information?

The same info they already have?

• Agree 1

Wife got check from Equifax today, about double my check, but she actually had ID theft around the same time as the breach, where I locked down ("froze") her CB reports for awhile. Which I documented in her request for settlement (phone calls, emails, and time spent to fix it).

I wonder what the law firm's take is?