Greenday

Full Round Stuck in Barrel

Strange thing happened to me this morning at Range 14. Was shooting some .223 out of my Ruger Ranch in 5.56 and with one of my rounds, there was no recoil and no new hole in my target. Took my magazine out, opened the chamber and there was a full round, case and bullet, stuck in the barrel with the primer end flush meeting the chamber. I've never seen or heard of this before. What would cause this?

3 minutes ago, carl_g said:

You probably screwed up reloading the round. Did you run it thru a case gauge?

That's what I figured, but it was the correct length, diameter, etc.And I weighed out every single charge. It's almost like when it loaded from the magazine into the chamber, it immediately slid into the barrel. Just glad I didn't try to fire another round.

5 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Them liberal tear drops of your's  probably rusted up the chamber.

I thought that too!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Greenday said:

That's what I figured, but it was the correct length, diameter, etc.And I weighed out every single charge. It's almost like when it loaded from the magazine into the chamber, it immediately slid into the barrel. Just glad I didn't try to fire another round.

I thought that too!

But..... did you use a case gauge?

Was the primer struck?

Im going to take a guess here and say you over sized the round... it's literally the only way a cartridge can push past the neck in the chamber... and if it was measured with out a case gauge then OAL would jam the bullet into the lands

18 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Did you crimp the rounds?

I cant imagine how that would effect the chambering of the round... 

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

I thought that too!

Glad you didn't have a Kaboom.

58 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

But..... did you use a case gauge?

Was the primer struck?

Im going to take a guess here and say you over sized the round... it's literally the only way a cartridge can push past the neck in the chamber... and if it was measured with out a case gauge then OAL would jam the bullet into the lands

Yes. Case gauge, pocket gauge, calipers. Length of everything was 2.2580 plus/minus 0.0005" I was kinda anal about making them all the same dimensions for consistency. Not sure if the primer was struck. Sounded like a dry fire to me. It's completely possible of course I missed one sizing them.

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Did you crimp the rounds?

No.

41 minutes ago, Zeke said:

No powder?

Would that make the case go into the barrel? I know that can cause a squib round.

1 minute ago, Greenday said:

Would that make the case go into the barrel? I know that can cause a squib round.

I skim read. The problem here is the idiot reloading is not using a case gauge. . I’d smartin up and pay attention to what you are doing before you get yourself or someone else hurt. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

I skim read. The problem here is the idiot reloading is not using a case gauge. . I’d smartin up and pay attention to what you are doing before you get yourself or someone else hurt. 

I said I used a case gauge.

I just want my guns to endlessly fire bullets without ever pausing to reload and for my cars to have as many gears as the ones in the Fast and the Furious movies where they never downshift, just upshift like 20 times.

7 hours ago, Greenday said:

Yes. Case gauge, pocket gauge, calipers. Length of everything was 2.2580 plus/minus 0.0005" I was kinda anal about making them all the same dimensions for consistency. Not sure if the primer was struck. Sounded like a dry fire to me. It's completely possible of course I missed one sizing them.

No.

Highly unlikely that you missed one, you have to push the neck WAY back to get the case physically stuck like that. They would all be miserably out of spec if that were the situation. 

Do you still have the case?

If it was a squib.... the bullet may have just stuck itself in the throat of the chamber, there is no standard for how far the bullet will travel down the barrel with no powder...