Greenday

Full Round Stuck in Barrel

This thread is useless without pics.  Mainly because I don't think Greenday is up to the task of accurately describing the failure. 

As he is describing it,  the cartridge went wooshing past the chamber and was fully seated IN the barrel. That a .378" case head was jammed in a .224" hole without anything seeming weird. This is not possible. Which means he's not accurately describing what happened. 

The best guess any of us have trying to interpret that mess is that he bumped the shoulder back enough to make the brass essentially shorter than the chamber. 

We live in an age of ubiquitous cameras. Take a damn picture. Sheesh. 

• Agree 1

On 7/29/2019 at 9:38 AM, raz-0 said:

This thread is useless without pics.  Mainly because I don't think Greenday is up to the task of accurately describing the failure. 

As he is describing it,  the cartridge went wooshing past the chamber and was fully seated IN the barrel. That a .378" case head was jammed in a .224" hole without anything seeming weird. This is not possible. Which means he's not accurately describing what happened. 

The best guess any of us have trying to interpret that mess is that he bumped the shoulder back enough to make the brass essentially shorter than the chamber. 

We live in an age of ubiquitous cameras. Take a damn picture. Sheesh. 

Yea, okay, so you are absolutely right. I didn't describe the failure correctly. It happened again and I saved the round. Overall length was 2.2550". But dropped it into my case gauge and lo and behold, didn't fit all the way in. Definitely a No-Go.

Finally got a modified case for my OAL gauge. Here's what's throwing me off. Pushed it in until the case was in, then pushed the rod until the bullet made light contact with the end of the chamber. Did this three times. Measured 2.3430" every time. This seems long to me.

Equipment used:

Hornady OAL Straight Guage w/ Hornady .223 Modified Case

55 gr FMJBT Hornady .223 round

Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Comparator & Anvil for .223

Edit:

With my Sierra MK 52gr HPBT, I got an OAL of 2.3430".

With Sierra MK 77gr HPBT, I got an OAL of 2.289".

Some people just were not meant to be reloaders. I suspect you suffer from "Darwin Syndrome"

If you insist on continuing to reload, I suggest you make sure you have life insurance to the max. That way wifey will not be left in the lurch when you have a disastrous mishap.

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Some people just were not meant to be reloaders. I suspect you suffer from "Darwin Syndrome"

If you insist on continuing to reload, I suggest you make sure you have life insurance to the max. That way wifey will not be left in the lurch when you have a disastrous mishap.

Ever so helpful. I'm sure new forum members will be enthusiastic at these kinds of responses to questions.

• Confused 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

Yea, okay, so you are absolutely right. I didn't describe the failure correctly. It happened again and I saved the round. Overall length was 2.2550". But dropped it into my case gauge and lo and behold, didn't fit all the way in. Definitely a No-Go.

I'm surprised you didn't blame this on Trump... like usual...

On 8/21/2019 at 1:50 PM, Zeke said:

Uncle @GRIZ how many years have you been reloading and how many mishaps have you had?

guessing 100 and zero 

Only been reloading a bit over 45 years.  I'm more interested in producing quality ammo rather than pull the handle 50 times and produce a box of ammo.  I still use a single stage press...one of them for the 45 years.  I've easily loaded a few hundred thousand rounds.  

The most serious mishap I can think of is twice I set off a primer while handpriming.  Toral damage?  A loud noise.

Once I've set up and after the rounds passed final inspection the total mishaps I've had were...zero. I've used CCI primers 99% of the time.  More dead primers with factory rounds.  I've had exactly one squib which was a factory round.  More problems with Remington factory ammo than any other.  For example I have some Remington Vipers that the bullet is too big and won't chamber in some revolvers and semiautos.

Reloading many would consider me slow but good.

Hope that answers your question @Zeke.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Greenday said:

Anywho, took off my sizing die, put it back on adjusting it like I never used it. Got 60 rounds done tonight. Getting ready for a range trip next weekend at Range 14.

Many here wish you bad luck and ill will.  I, on the other hand, like you.  Good luck.   Keep us posted.

Also, reloading is dangerous. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Many here wish you bad luck and ill will.  I, on the other hand, like you.  Good luck.   Keep us posted.

Also, reloading is dangerous. 

Nobody is wishing Ill will. We are trying to get him to cease and desist before he hurts himself or others. To many mistakes all ready is cause for serious concern.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Zeke said:

Well, I'm not reloading handgun so I can't double charge anything. And I'm guessing with some of those rifles that blew up, they were using pistol powder instead of rifle. Old guy at the end should have just ejected the bad round.

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Nobody is wishing Ill will. We are trying to get him to cease and desist before he hurts himself or others. To many mistakes all ready is cause for serious concern.

All one mistake? Right...

One mistake is all it takes.

Your original mistake, compounded by not checking your newly sized brass into a case gauge before loading it and then correcting the sizing die, right on the spot, is an indication of your lack of what it takes to be a safe reloader.

26 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

One mistake is all it takes.

Your original mistake, compounded by not checking your newly sized brass into a case gauge before loading it and then correcting the sizing die, right on the spot, is an indication of your lack of what it takes to be a safe reloader.

I did check with a case gauge. And it turned out to be in the chamber. I'm sure I could have just given the bolt a good push and it would have been fine to fire. 

30 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I'm sure I could have just given the bolt a good push and it would have been fine to fire. 

And it's THAT attitude that will cause disastrous results, resulting in your death or disfigurement, or worse, hurting someone else on the range when you have a mishap.

As a reloader, YOU are the only quality control person involved with that ammo. An inflated ego is a sure way to have a life-altering problem.

As I said before, reloading, especially high pressure rifle rounds, is not for everyone. It takes time and caution. Your money may very well be much better spent buying factory ammo. That way, there are some deeper pockets (the ammo manufacturer's liability carrier) to fall back on if a kaboom occurs.