Pizza Bob

Multiple Purchase Exemption / OGAM and the 30 Day Clock

My original understanding of how the Multiple Purchase Exemption (MPE) worked was that it operated entirely outside the OGAM system. In other words it made no difference when a previous or subsequent OGAM purchase was made, relative to when the MPE was used.

That understanding cost me a NICS violation. I had purchased a single handgun under OGAM and then within the subsequent 30 day period exercised a MPE. Several days after the MPE, but after the 30 day clock from the previous OGAM purchase I attempted to make another OGAM purchase, thinking the 30 day clock had been satisfied and the MPE was not relevant. Such was not the case.

From all that it seems that the MPE can be utilized at anytime, regardless of where you are in the 30 day window. However, utilizing the MPE resets the 30 day clock for your next OGAM purchase.

I found threads on here from 2014 indicating that the exemption process changed from what my original understanding was to what is described in the previous paragraph. The change took place sometime in 2014 because it was commented on in the 4 page thread I was reading.

I'm just trying to make certain the above is correct as I really don't want to accrue another NICS violation. I currently have exemption paperwork submitted for four revolvers and I have five permits. Given that I have one to spare I ordered another revolver and my intent is to first purchase the single under OGAM rules and then subsequently (within the 30 day window) use the MPE  to pick-up the other four. According to my current understanding if I exercised the MPE for the four guns first, I would then have to wait the 30 days before I could get the single - correct?

This state sucks. We're looking.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I thought it was common understanding that the Exemption exempted the exemptions, and with it, reset the 30 day clock...  ?

Yes, but PB's wishful thinking of the 30 day clock was riddled with logic. Things like that just don't happen in Trenton. Ever.

Yes, that's right. Exercise the single permit first, then the MPE. The MPE will ignore the previous purchase and reset the 30 day clock. Additionally, my understanding is don't exercise them both on the same day. Wait a day or two. I definitely know they can't both be on the same NICS check.

That is exactly what I did the last time I exercised one. If you'd feel more comfortable, have your FFL call the Firearms Unit and verify that sequence before you pull the trigger.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 45Doll said:

Yes, that's right. Exercise the single permit first, then the MPE. The MPE will ignore the previous purchase and reset the 30 day clock. Additionally, my understanding is don't exercise them both on the same day. Wait a day or two. I definitely know they can't both be on the same NICS check.

That is exactly what I did the last time I exercised one. If you'd feel more comfortable, have your FFL call the Firearms Unit and verify that sequence before you pull the trigger.

Precisely. When I did my exemption It was from two stores at the same time IIRC.  Both knew... @tj462nj was on top of it too when I gave him his space back in the safe after 12 months of collecting guns. lol.

Bought one first as soon as I could with OGAM, THEN bought the 6 or 7, whatever it was with exemptions, and that started the 30 days.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

You can do both the non exempt and the exempt on the same day - you just need to wait for the non exempt NICS to come back before submitting the exempt NICS