10X

"Success" of California's ammo background check law

AP is excitedly reporting that California's new law requiring a background check every time ammo is purchased has blocked 100 people from illegally buying ammunition in the first month.  

California ammo background check law blocks 100 purchasers legitimately, 11,000 improperly

It gives no details on why, exactly,  they were blocked, and I'm curious about that.

But further down the article it notes:

Aside from the more than 100 who were prohibited, the state's filing says nearly 11,000 prospective buyers were denied immediate approval but were not determined to be barred from owning guns or buying ammunition. The state processed more than 57,000 such transactions in the first month, approving nearly 47,000 of them.

That last sentence says that the 11.000 people improperly denied approval still haven't been approved by the end of the month.  Sadly, I'm sure the California politicians have no problem with that, and the Governor says the Federal government should follow California's lead and roll this out nationally.  The CA association of Rifle and Pistol clubs is challenging the law, claiming, among other things, that the law results in too many illegitimate rejections.   CA counterclaims that there is no significant impediment, and the law is working almost perfectly--which I'm sure is news to the 11,000 people improperly denied in the first month alone.   Personally, I find a 20% false positive rate to be appalling.

I'm sure CA has a significant problem with unlicensed and uninsured motorists.   Perhaps they could consider a law requiring that a drivers license and insurance card be run every time someone buys gas.   Same principle.    

7 hours ago, 10X said:

That last sentence says that the 11.000 people improperly denied approval still haven't been approved by the end of the month.  

Ha... yet the Dem candidates/government want to take over control of the healthcare for 320 million people, and they can't even administer this program correctly and accurately...

2 hours ago, voyager9 said:

So 57,000 transactions. 11,000 false positives (19.3%). 100 actual positives (00.2%). Seems like an effective system. /s

They don’t care. 

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Ha... yet the Dem candidates/government want to take over control of the healthcare for 320 million people, and they can't even administer this program correctly and accurately...

They don’t care. 

• Agree 1