Underdog

Thoughts on Self-Defense Ammunition

What are your thoughts on 12 and 20 ga. self-defense ammunition?  Is there any good 20 or 12 ga. shells with lower recoil that would be good for elderly for defense?  I was also thinking about finding a 410 but cannot believe the prices on those.   Also, I was thinking about trading a 12 ga. Stevens 77 for a 20 ga. pump of some kind... Thoughts?  Should I keep the 77 which is very similar to a Vietnam trench gun?

On 8/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, Old Glock guy said:

The 9 pellet 00 is fine as well.  Look for "Flight control"  LE13200 is all of that, plus low recoil. 

Thread over!

Almost

If you want the tightest pattern then these will do.  Also the Hornady stuff as well.  All others don't compete for patterns.

BUT

If you do want more spread then the above mentioned loads will not work.

Even low brass bird shot is lethal at close range. Which Is going to be low recoil for sure. If for self defense I suspect you are talking about typical distances inside a home of 15 feet or less. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing the effectiveness of birdshot at close ranges on meat targets. Perfectly acceptable and won’t over penetrate. 

1 hour ago, CGVETERAN said:

Even low brass bird shot is lethal at close range. Which Is going to be low recoil for sure. If for self defense I suspect you are talking about typical distances inside a home of 15 feet or less. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing the effectiveness of birdshot at close ranges on meat targets. Perfectly acceptable and won’t over penetrate. 

Bad, bad idea. Especially in the wintertime, when people wear heavier clothing. 

@High Exposure could tell you a story about birdshot in a suicide attempt....

Stick with 00 buckshot, a handgun, or an AR. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Over the weekend, High Exposure showed me a segmented slug. Very interesting. 
Upon impact with soft surfaces or tissue, it segments into 3 pieces. H.E. told me it penetrates 13+ “ of ballistic gel. Violently. 

Upon impact with hard surfaces, such as a car door, it stays intact, and acts like a regular slug. He said fairly accurate to 100 yds. 

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/new-winchester-segmented-slug-round#:~:text=It is available to citizens as the PDX1,to other slugs when fired through hard barriers.

My local gunshops are fully stocked with powder. Bullets and primers are gone. Guns are available with the exception of HD shotguns. No 9mm, 45ACP, 38SPL in any quantity.  When available limit on purchases. There is 223/5.56 but it is expensive. Lots of shotgun target loads, not much buckshot. The local gun shops said AR sales are way down but handguns and HD shotguns are the biggest sellers.Hunting ammo (30-06, etc) is available.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I'm curious how the other states supplies are.

South Carolina similar to what @JC_68Westy said.  No common handgun ammo.  5.56 and .223 going for $67 per 100, one per customer.  Plenty of uncommon caliber and hunting.  A couple of weeks ago I was able to get .308 at $16 per 20 but now that appears to be sold out too.  Lots of birdshot but no buck or slug.

• Thanks 1