KMA4626

Can i buy a non compliant rifle out of state?

Ok well first thing is first. Im not up to anything shady. I really want to buy an ak style rifle specifically the psak 47 gf3 from palmetto state armory. They don't offer an nj compliant version. I contacted a couple ffls near me to see what it would cost to convert it prior to allowing me to take it and the prices they're giving me is outrageous.. Keep in mind the bayo lug just has to be ground off and the muzzle brake needs to be pinned and welded. Now I've been a master automotive technician for about 12 years now and I know for a fact I can do both of these tasks in minutes and my coworker lives in PA about 25 minutes from an FFL. Would they be allowed to transfer it to me legally? I feel like this should be kosher, but tbh the law is so ridiculous these days I have no idea what I can or can't do anymore. 

First of all, it's out of stock so I can't tell you if they would even ship to the PRNJ.

Second, to have your friend in PA buy it just to transfer to you is a straw purchase that can get you both in trouble! You would still have to transfer at a PRNJ FFL and still incur the cost of making it legal here!

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, KMA4626 said:

Ok well first thing is first. Im not up to anything shady. I really want to buy an ak style rifle specifically the psak 47 gf3 from palmetto state armory. They don't offer an nj compliant version. I contacted a couple ffls near me to see what it would cost to convert it prior to allowing me to take it and the prices they're giving me is outrageous.. Keep in mind the bayo lug just has to be ground off and the muzzle brake needs to be pinned and welded. Now I've been a master automotive technician for about 12 years now and I know for a fact I can do both of these tasks in minutes and my coworker lives in PA about 25 minutes from an FFL. Would they be allowed to transfer it to me legally? I feel like this should be kosher, but tbh the law is so ridiculous these days I have no idea what I can or can't do anymore. 

Since it is a long gun, you can actually have it shipped and transfered to a PA FFL, then pick it up there.  Then just make sure you have it modified BEFORE you take it to NJ.  If you want a good PA FFL, @FreedomSportsLLC is a vendor here and am working on another PA vendor.  I would send Todd a message. 

While you are able to buy long guns out of state, I believe the firearm must be compliant with the laws of your state of residence before the FFL can transfer it. So I don’t think any FFL in PA would do the transfer without first doing the compliance work first.  

2 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

While you are able to buy long guns out of state, I believe the firearm must be compliant with the laws of your state of residence before the FFL can transfer it. So I don’t think any FFL in PA would do the transfer without first doing the compliance work first.  

The vast majority of FFLs don't even know to do the NJ COE and the vast majority do not even know the difference between what is NJ Kosher and what is not.  

I believe it is YOUR responsibility to know whether it is NJ compliant or not, before you cross the border.

Besides, there are plenty of people who live in NJ or NY who have temporary residence in PA.

@PK90 @FreedomSportsLLC

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Since it is a long gun, you can actually have it shipped and transfered to a PA FFL, then pick it up there.  Then just make sure you have it modified BEFORE you take it to NJ.  If you want a good PA FFL, @FreedomSportsLLC is a vendor here and am working on another PA vendor.  I would send Todd a message. 

I highly doubt a PA FFL will transfer a Non-Compliant AK to a NJ resident in PA...........

And I will assume the PA FFL would charge the customer to make it compliant.

50 minutes ago, KMA4626 said:

Would love to know what an "outrageous" compliance fee is.......????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JT Custom Guns said:

I highly doubt a PA FFL will transfer a Non-Compliant AK to a NJ resident in PA...........

And I will assume the PA FFL would charge the customer to make it compliant.

But here we are talking about two different things... whether they CAN or Should...

Obviously, as an FFL, you can do whatever you want or need to do to feel comfortable with the sale or transfer, and if I was an FFL, I would make sure it is NJ compliant... BUT, what does the law say on this.

Yeah i just went to a gun shop across the river and they told me that they cant even transfer a firearm to me if the serial was originally attached to a gun that came with a 30 rd mag.. I have in the past bought a handgun from heritage guild in PA that came with 17 rd mags and they just shipped it to their nj location and gave me 2 15 round mags at that location back when we could at least have those. So im thinking I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just pay an FFL to modify the stupid thing for me

3 minutes ago, KMA4626 said:

Yeah i just went to a gun shop across the river and they told me that they cant even transfer a firearm to me if the serial was originally attached to a gun that came with a 30 rd mag.. I have in the past bought a handgun from heritage guild in PA that came with 17 rd mags and they just shipped it to their nj location and gave me 2 15 round mags at that location back when we could at least have those. So im thinking I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just pay an FFL to modify the stupid thing for me

Who ever told you that was either lying or an idiot.

If the only issue is the mag, they can remove it or replace it - their choice

If it needs compliance work, they can offer to ship it to an FFL of your choice for compliance work, or could (if they wanted) given you the gun there in PA. At that point the transfer is legal, it would be you breaking the law if you brought it back to NJ non-compliant. Some people have dual residence, and you could have a house in PA. where you are keeping it, but are still eligable to purchase with a NJ FID if you didn't have a PA drivers lic.

23 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Who ever told you that was either lying or an idiot.

If the only issue is the mag, they can remove it or replace it - their choice

If it needs compliance work, they can offer to ship it to an FFL of your choice for compliance work, or could (if they wanted) given you the gun there in PA. At that point the transfer is legal, it would be you breaking the law if you brought it back to NJ non-compliant. Some people have dual residence, and you could have a house in PA. where you are keeping it, but are still eligable to purchase with a NJ FID if you didn't have a PA drivers lic.

That's kind of what I thought since I had been able to buy one and exchange the mags in the past. I think he didn't know the law and didn't feel like looking it up. I know heritage guild where I've been in the past is weird about it too. I bought one of those troy a4 "other" firearms that just came out and they basically had me buy a gift card in PA for the exact amount of the sale and then transferred it to the branch burg location where I had to then use the gift card to buy it there. So many hoops to jump through for simple things... I also was going to a friend's house in PA a year or so where a whole bunch of us were going to shoot basically all day on his farm and I wanted to get 3 30 round mags to just keep there for when we shoot and they wouldn't sell them to me. So I ended up borrowing a couple and then just giving him money to buy me a few to keep there for future use.