Mrs. Peel

Bat in the Belfry & Why Big Brothers are the Best!

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

You need to be careful when you find a bat in your home, and in particular your bedroom.  It is is a very small chance, but a bat in your home can be rabid, and can land on you when you are sleeping without your knowledge.  They are relatively harmless otherwise, though creep, and just like humans, they don't like to be disturbed when they are sleeping.  

I know! I'm freaked out, believe me. I've been on the Internet reading rabies horror stories. I've got every light in the house on. And my eyes are darting everyone. This is a horror show. This is a house I've never been afraid in... and tonight, I approached my front door with utter and complete dread. 

As for all the other comments from the peanut gallery re: "there's always more than one" - come'on! You're trying to tell me that there's NEVER a one-off situation where a bat happens to work it's way into your house? Tomorrow in the morning, I plan to climb halfway up my basement steps and then shine a flashlight all over the ceiling of the attic - searching for furry bundles - and then scanning the entire floor with the flashlight looking for droppings. I'll do the same in the basement. If anything moves, you'll ALL know... because my shrieking will be heard for HUNDREDS of miles.. clear across the state. If I see nothing... I'm going to assume it was a fluke (just like happened to my nextdoor neighbors - they had ONE - had a pest guy check, and there were NO others). So, stop freaking me out, people! I mean, are these things so smart that if they find their way in ONE time, they remember that path and come back again?! I don't think so! And don't pull my leg either...I'm already jumping out of my own skin.

@Handyman - seriously, are you just screwing with me about the post-exposure injections? I thought they had made them much easier over the years? It used to be some ridiculous amount of shots as I recall... in the abdomen. WTF are you talking about "Immune globulin?" I'm afraid to even Google it now. I probably don't want to know. @fishnut - what say you? Is Handyman just messing with my head? 

BTW, I now have a fishing net...a piece of foam core poster board to slide under it... leather gloves... and a big shiny crucifix at the ready. I pray I won't need them... but I really can't have my brother doing another 3-hour roundtrip!

As for holes a bat can fit through - it's a 145 year old stone foundation in the basement.. Yeah, wish me luck trying to find and close up every tiny little 1/2 inch hole or gap. I'll try, but I don't feel hopeful.

25 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Yeah, wish me luck trying to find and close up every tiny little 1/2 inch hole or gap. I'll try, but I don't feel hopeful.

For about $200.00, you can get a FLIR or Seek thermal camera for your smartphone.  You will find out all kinds of neat things about your house.

12 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Ha! One of my favorite artists. Go figure! (I don't mind artistic renditions of bats, just the real things). Perhaps he was the architect!

Check out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel,_Escher,_Bach

there are no bats... but there is a turtle. 

@Mrs. Peel either handyman is messing with you or he is more sensitive than a 7 year old girl. All rabies shots are in the arm(except for the first one which is at the location of the bite) and they do not inject you with a gallon of anything. It's not as bad as the flu shot. 

You have 14 days from exposure to get post exposure shots but then old wives tale that a bat can bite you and you would not even wake up is bullshit. They have teeth like cats and while that are sharp trust me it hurts to get bitten by a bat. I would know, I've been bitten twice. 

I'd recommend that you do not try to catch the bat yourself, you have the greatest risk of coming into contact with rabies that way. I picked up 10 or more bats every year that tested positive for rabies when I was an animal control officer. From now until the end of September is bat in house season in NJ and I hate to break it to you but yes you likely have several in your home. Pretty much every Victorian home has a few somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Crazy 1

1 hour ago, Handyman said:

I bet if Zeke caught a bunch of the suckers he could make some Bat pate. And probably throw in some fruit. 

If they were fruit bats it would be even better. 

Would he cook them in a crock pot too? :scratchhead:

4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

No garlic or wooden stakes?

Only 2 little hands... choices had to be made... and items sacrificed to ensure needed dexterity and swiftness. :)

Though thank god, so far.. no winged devils have been spotted this evening.

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

The word got out, the others heard you were mean and said bad things about their brother last night. :mosking:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Only 2 little hands... choices had to be made... and items sacrificed to ensure needed dexterity and swiftness. :)

They are waiting until you fall asleep

Nighty night.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

@Mrs. Peel either handyman is messing with you or he is more sensitive than a 7 year old girl. All rabies shots are in the arm(except for the first one which is at the location of the bite) and they do not inject you with a gallon of anything. It's not as bad as the flu shot. 

Sorry chooch, but anyone who is potentially exposed to rabies and has not been previously vaccinated should receive both a vaccination series and immune globulin at a dose of 20 units per kilogram of body weight. This usually translates into a minimum of 10 ml of stuff that needs to be deposited at a distance from the vaccination site (or if the person has a wound, it gets infiltrated into/around the wound). Flu vaccine is usually 0.5 ml.

If you don't like it, take it up with the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/index.html

7 hours ago, Handyman said:

Sorry chooch, but anyone who is potentially exposed to rabies and has not been previously vaccinated should receive both a vaccination series and immune globulin at a dose of 20 units per kilogram of body weight. This usually translates into a minimum of 10 ml of stuff that needs to be deposited at a distance from the vaccination site (or if the person has a wound, it gets infiltrated into/around the wound). Flu vaccine is usually 0.5 ml.

If you don't like it, take it up with the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/index.html

Humm by my math 10ml is way closer to .5ml than 1 gallon which is 3785ml

As far as pain goes it hurts less than a flu shot afterward according to a 7 year old girl who.was scratched by a rabid cat 

4 hours ago, fishnut said:

Humm by my math 10ml is way closer to .5ml than 1 gallon which is 3785ml

As far as pain goes it hurts less than a flu shot afterward according to a 7 year old girl who.was scratched by a rabid cat 

Don’t worry, I accept your apology about being wrong about the need for immune globulin. As to the quantity, excuse my hyperbole. An intramuscular injection consisting of 20 times the amount of solution that is given during a typical injection seems large to me. 

What happened Peel? Did you join the ranks of the rabid undead????