Underdog

Planned Power Outages

I read a couple of articles but she seemed to sum it up better.  Not familiar with her at all and got a chuckle out of her name as well.  When I did a search on outages, her video popped up, and Kalifornia seemed to fit as well.

I actually thought if anybody reacted when I posted this, it would be Ray.

4 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Prepper princess?  

Ha... that's what I thought too..

Just now, Underdog said:

I read a couple of articles but she seemed to sum it up better. 

In theory, she's at least thinking in the right direction. In application, she's severely lacking, but something is better than nothing.

I wasn't thinking about her response, but rather the idea and repercussions behind the outages.  Christie's bridge nonsense came to mind.  Louis Lerner's IRS scandal as well...

I applaud her efforts. Sounds like she has a medically fragile child --- being prepared is uber-imperative in a case like that. I don't know what the full extent of her preparation is (can't tell from that one video), but I also realize that people's prepping is naturally limited by the size of their budget. At least she's aware and taking steps. (Whereas right now I don't even have a jug of water or a can of soup in my cupboard, lol -- I'm going to correct that -- the very next can-can sale). :)

Honestly, I used to be one of those people who watched prepper videos with a big smirk on my face, but I've moved more towards grudging admiration for them... I mean, at least for the "normal" ones like her. She just strike me as a loving mom, good neighbor and informed, self-reliant Girl Scout-type. There's nothing wrong - and everything right - with those traits!

And yes, to the OPs point... I could definitely see that happening here in Joisey. We have a seriously congested state and an old, overtapped electrical grid. I would bet we will be seeing that within the decade and probably sooner than later!

6 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I wasn't thinking about her response, but rather the idea and repercussions behind the outages. 

Not sure what your getting at from the "repercussions" point. Is it wondering how people will cope with no power (we know they will go crazy), or wondering if there is liability to the power company to the people who suffer?

Is she from California?  There's some good ideas here.  Nothing really new though, except for her power company justifying turning everything off.

I could see a "brown out" happen in a heat wave or maybe  a big tropical storm, but storms happen all the time.

I have had several power outages where I live, but that is more due to the fewer electrical lines.  I think...

3 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I applaud her efforts. Sounds like she has a medically fragile child --- being prepared is uber-imperative in a case like that. I don't know what the full extent of her preparation is (can't tell from that one video), but I also realize that people's prepping is naturally limited by the size of their budget. At least she's aware and taking steps. (Whereas right now I don't even have a jug of water or a can of soup in my cupboard, lol -- I'm going to correct that -- the very next can-can sale). :)

Honestly, I used to be one of those people who watched prepper videos with a big smirk on my face, but I've moved more towards grudging admiration for them... I mean, at least for the "normal" ones like her. She just strike me as a loving mom, good neighbor and informed, self-reliant Girl Scout-type. There's nothing wrong - and everything right - with those traits!

And yes, to the OPs point... I could definitely see that happening here in Joisey. We have a seriously congested state and an old, overtapped electrical grid. I would bet we will be seeing that within the decade and probably sooner than later!

I'm old enough...

f7b.gif[

43 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

Is she from California?  There's some good ideas here.  Nothing really new though, except for her power company justifying turning everything off.

I could see a "brown out" happen in a heat wave or maybe  a big tropical storm, but storms happen all the time.

I have had several power outages where I live, but that is more due to the fewer electrical lines.  I think...

we already had a thread about voltage being down in areas. mine included has been erratic.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Wait till more and more start charging their automobiles 

Is the draw of a car charger all that high?  I’d think it would be less than a typical air conditioner or electric dryer. Idk though. 

From a prepper perspective I can see them being a problem.  Their charge doesn’t last that long and you can’t store extra batteries.  Gas cars you can always have extra gas cans. 

Do they have solar chargers for cars?  Or would they be too massive?

21 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Is the draw of a car charger all that high?  I’d think it would be less than a typical air conditioner or electric dryer. Idk though. 

From a prepper perspective I can see them being a problem.  Their charge doesn’t last that long and you can’t store extra batteries.  Gas cars you can always have extra gas cans. 

Do they have solar chargers for cars?  Or would they be too massive?

https://evobsession.com/electric-car-charging-101-types-of-charging-apps-more/

regular 110 gives you a whopping 5 miles per hour. My one electrician has put in at least a dozen high output charging stations. Run them and your ac at the same time and you’ve in essence doubled your grid demand. 

• Informative 1