almiz111

223 primer depth

I reload 223 with CCI #41 mil primers. Seem to have trouble getting depth especially with Lake and Federal brass.  Lucky if they are -.001 or -.002. Sometimes +.001 or +.002.

Primer pockets are thoroughly prepped with three tools.  I use both a hand tool and my press inserter gadget.  There is no mil crimp problem here.

So what depth should I expect  and how do I achieve that?

I have no such problem with 9mm or 308 WIN.

Thanks for the help.

OK.  A few questions.  Can you adjust the depth on your primer pocket uniforming tool?  Do you have a depth micrometer to measure the depth of the primer pocket and the height of the cutter on the primer pocket uniforming tool?  Corners on the cutter are good and sharp, not rounded?  How does the primer pocket depth on the Lake and Federal brass compare to the others where you don't have as much trouble?

-Longranger

Lake is 118,  116, 120   (3 samples)

Federal 117, 120, 119

GFL  120, 121, 119

Tool hard to measure, maybe 115 BUT looks awful at x30 mag. Edges are not sharp.  I ordered a new tool and I bet that will do it.

Anyway what depth are you getting for an installed primer??

Really appreciate your help.

Check out the attached SAAMI specs for rifle primer pockets.  Looks like all of yours are pretty much in the ballpark.  I'm thinking those bottom corners need to be really sharp and not have one bit of dirt, carbon, or debris.  The height dimension for the small rifle primer is shown to include the anvil, which seems odd to me as the anvil is squished into the primer when seated.  Seems like that dimension should be for the primer cup by itself without the anvil.  That way a 0.115" minimum height primer in a maximum depth 0.123" primer pocket would give you the 0.008" max depth of the primer below the face of the cartridge case head as it's called out in the spec.  I took a close look at the primer pocket uniformers I have here and some do look uhhh, let's say a little less than perfect.  Ugh.  I don't have any reloaded 223 on hand to measure depths and I usually just use my finger to check whatever I'm reloading to make sure there is at least some depth.  Maybe the 41's are on the tall side of the spec???  Regardless, the really sharp corner at the open end of the primer cup isn't going to like being pushed into anything other than a really square corner at the bottom of the primer pocket.  I'm curious to see how things work out after hitting those primer pcokets with the new uniformer and also how the brand spanking new corners on the uniformer look before you use it.

-Longranger

SAAMI Rifle Primer & Primer Pocket specs.pdf

Do they work fine?  I don't think +.002" is going to slam fire but I'm not able to visualize this so I don't know.  If it goes bang and not as a slamfire it's good enough.  I say good enough because you indicate you're using mixed brass.  So if you're trying for max accuracy you should look at the mixed brass situation first (but I'm sorry if I assumed wrong).

The new Hornady tool is very sharp and crispy. Pockets are shiny brass.  Still not getting much depth but results definitely better and acceptable. Kinda depends on brass mfgr.

I think the moral is  -- check your tools and don't use if  worn out.  So basic and obvious yet here I am!!!

Now I have to go check my case trimming tool. LOL.

Appreciate the help Gents. You guys are good!!

Keep em in the 10 ring. 

Lake and federal brass already has good uniform primer pockets... what they also have is a hard crimp... Your issue is the crimp, not trying to uniform the hole... you would probably be better off just using a reamer to remove the crimp, a pocket swager would be ever better.

I don't know what tool you are using but you can deform a primer pocket if you use too much pressure trying to size it. I got high primers if i set the swager tool too deep.