Dr. Goodshot

Old fingerprint and new firearm application

After reading all the FARS information, there's something I still don't get. If I apply, and I've already been fingerprinted before, how do I submit my old fingerprints to my new application? The confirmation of the application just says, "Now you have to go and get fingerprinted." Will the PD automatically connect my old fingerprints with the new application using my SSN or something? Or do I print a scanned copy of the old fingerprint receipt and bring it in? I understand that once you get fingerprinted you get an "SBI number", and I don't know what my SBI number is or how to find it, but I do have a "PCN number" from the last fingerprinting.

To make clear, I do not already have a FID card, but I have applied. After waiting forever, I called and said what's up and they said they tried to get a hold of me to ask some questions about the application and they couldn't, so they closed the application and denied it, and that I would have to reapply. I have no idea why they are claiming they couldn't contact me, since my phone number is on the application and my voicemail works. I'm hoping applying on the new online system will make it harder for them to play games. So this is why I have fingerprints but no FID.

Don't know if they will let you reuse your initial printing or not. Do know that the entire process is a moneymaking scam. Several months ago , while undergoing the foster parenting process , I was required to be fingerprinted twice in a month because the prints were for two separate agencies of the same NJ government.

I applied for an FPID, no permits, two years ago, I heard nothing, kept calling, got nowhere then finally was told that one of my references didn't respond. (He died). They denied the application and I had to start all over as if I had never applied. All the fees all over again, new fingerprints, etc.

The second time around, I applied, this time with two handgun permits, and I made sure both references filled out their forms and mailed them. I finally got 'told' that my references didn't respond, so my application was again denied. I personally made sure both references mailed their forms back right away. One reference was an officer at the same PD at that time. He has since retired and moved out of NJ.

I basically gave up, maybe I'll try the online deal but it won't change the town or PD it has to go through.

I have been getting a similar runaround. After waiting and waiting I was told that my application was denied because they tried to get a hold of me to get some further information, but couldn't. I can only hope that the online application system will make it harder for them to play games. I will tell you that the online system notifies you by email when your references have been received, and even sends you a reminder if the references haven't been received two weeks after you apply. So if you try again online, your references will get email notifications asking them to fill out a reference online, so there will at least be no confusion as to whether the references were received or not.

On 8/26/2019 at 10:46 AM, Dr. Goodshot said:

I have been getting a similar runaround. After waiting and waiting I was told that my application was denied because they tried to get a hold of me to get some further information, but couldn't. I can only hope that the online application system will make it harder for them to play games. I will tell you that the online system notifies you by email when your references have been received, and even sends you a reminder if the references haven't been received two weeks after you apply. So if you try again online, your references will get email notifications asking them to fill out a reference online, so there will at least be no confusion as to whether the references were received or not.

Hey they have trouble getting in touch with you? You can fix that! Call them every day, even multiple times per day.  You are their new best friend helping them out every step of the way. Log that shit. If it doesn't fix the problem go see their boss's boss about why the fuck they can't do their job with someone holding their hand. 

• Like 1

I had the same problem, I applied last year, was told it would take 30 days give or take once the references and background check came back. I didn't hear anything so I called after 30 days and was told neither of my references 'checked out' . I was told that the addresses I gave must be wrong. Both references handed me envelopes with their address on them to be sure I got their rural addresses right. They get mail to those addresses every day. I was told that I'd have to start all over again.
All the fees and the fingerprint costs were down the drain. I never bothered restarting it, I was told by someone off the record that someone in the PD didn't want me to get the FID card or to own guns. (A liberal in-law who hates guns).

I'm not staying in this state and can't wait to get out. Its only going to get worse and I don't think its ever going to turn around here. I just haven't decided where I want to go yet. I thought about moving to PA but their Motor Vehicle system and private state inspection fiasco would drive me broke.  Texas would be ideal but its too hot, the same with FL, GA, and SC. WV is looking like one option I'm looking into but I like being closer to the ocean.

That's just pure corruption. If a cop is working behind the scenes to block your application, that cop should be fired, arrested, charged, and put in jail for a nice long time. But I don't get the sense that there is much political will to rein in our corrupt police departments. If nothing else, the new online system does promise to make it harder for them to make up stories about whether your references ever responded.

Good luck making it out of NJ. It is really a horrible state in so many ways, not just because of the gun laws. I personally am a huge fan of Ohio. But sadly I seem to be stuck here for a while.